Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

seatangltd

Where are the Custom LESS/CSS files located in the directory?

seatangltd    0
seatangltd

The recent update completely messed up my site, and my backups are corrupt, so need to know this ASAP please.

Danny    1,327
Danny

Hi,

Can you provide a link to the site in question and also enable DMS debug mode please - DMS Toolbar > Settings > Advanced.

Please search our forums, before posting!

seatangltd    0
seatangltd

Danny

http://cavistons.com/

I've enabled debug.

My custom CSS/LESS is gone, my fixed header and footer (with icons, menus, social links) have been replaced, and the content width is now full screen.

It seemed to happen after the update and after i clicked into the theme customizer to check out the new widget preview thing. I didnt change anything in the customeizer, it just came up like that.

Danny    1,327
Danny

What did you recently update ?

As the version of DMS you're using isn't even the latest version. Did you update a plugin ?

seatangltd    0
seatangltd

I updated DMS, and thats what I got, then I restored it from a backup which I made just before the update. So it could be something to do with me going into the theme customizer, which doesnt make much sense because I did that after the update.

Danny    1,327
Danny

Im not following you, you updated DMS to what version ? Version 2.0.7 and you got what exactly ?

An issue with your CSS not loading, so you then restored to an earlier back up and still have the same issue ?

Is that correct ?

Also what did you do with the customizer ?

seatangltd    0
seatangltd

Ok so I made a backup, updated to latest DMS, and after I updated it prompted me to take the tour, which I did (why not, I hadn't done it before). The site was as it should have been at this point.

I then saw a message about some new widget preview thing in the customizer, so I went to the customizer and saw this screen: http://grab.by/wJPS . I clicked around the sections but did not do or save anything.

Then I went back to my homepage, refreshed, and all my custom CSS/LESS was not displaying and was missing from the editor, and my fixed header and footer are gone and reverted to the default header/footer, and the content width is now full width like I said.

So I restored from the backup I made, which, for some reason, didn't restore the site to the correct way it was before.

Bottom line (I think) is that something happened when I went into the customiser that seems to have reverted my sites global content back to default.

Danny    1,327
Danny

Where did you add your custom CSS/LESS to DMS Toolbar > Custom > Custom CSS/LESS editor ?

When you did the restore, is your custom CSS back there ?

seatangltd    0
seatangltd

Yes that's where I had it. 

And no, it's not back after the restore. The backup made no difference, baffling-ly.

Danny    1,327
Danny

How did you make the backup, was it one you created yourself (if so how did you do it ?) or is one from your web host provider? 

seatangltd    0
seatangltd

I made the backup with this plugin http://wordpress.org/plugins/complete-central-backup/

I've used it before to restore the site and it worked fine, but has been updated since then so may not be working 100% and could be the problem. But I had the problem with my site before I restored from backup. Going into the customizer reverted my sites global content (including custom CSS) to deafult. I'm almost sure that's what did it.

Danny    1,327
Danny

OK, I have no experience with that plugin, if you want to do a backup of your site and one that will always work, you need to follow the guide on the WordPress codex.

In your case now, I think the best course of action would be for you to contact your host and see if they have a backup, most decent web host providers do daily backups. If they do, perform a restore and see if your custom CSS returns. Reply here when you have performed a restore via your host.

Also, contact our helpdesk and provide the following information.

* A link to this topic, so they have something to reference.

* A link to the site in question

* Your admin username and password

* Make sure all plugins are disabled

* Make sure DMS debug mode is active if possible ~ DMS Toolbar > Settings > Advanced.

seatangltd    0
seatangltd

Ok thanks Danny.

seatangltd    0
seatangltd

Danny Actually, do you know where the custom CSS is stored in the file directory? So I can look for it in an older backup.

greenfly    230
greenfly

Ask you host to restore from a backup as they should have the backup from the day / hours previous to this happening. They will restore the site install as was so no need to fish for a file in the backup files. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?