Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cemico

DMS2 is loosing content. Again.

cemico

Danny

Thank you for the info, that other users are also facing this loss of content issue.

By now i did only hear from the PageLines staff, that no other user and no staff member was ever facing this issue. And if there was a loss of content issue, it had been spotted in the years of the DMS.

My question now is:

What should i communicate to my customer, who paid a lot of money for the DMS and it's setup?

Should i say: "Dear customer. You have to live with your website losing content. You can lose all your work every minute. We can't reproduce it. Deal with it. Bye".

Or do you have another idea?

FYI:

We have:

- the latest Wordpress version installed

- the latest DMS2 version

- all plugins in their latest version

- all plugins deactivated (!!!!)

- the flatten theme deactivated

Simon

cemico we simply cant fix something none of us can replicate.

All we ask is steps that we can take to replicate the issue.

Even a video of it happening may help.

cemico

Simon_P

I understand your words.

Because of us not being able to reproduce the issue and not being able to screen record days and weeks long until the issue will happen again, we have a situation, where both sides (you and i) can't do anything.

That's not a good situation for me and my customer. And i can only pray, that it wont happen again.

Simon

cemico Are you saying you have not witnessed this happening either? You are just going on what a 3rd party is saying? For all you know they might have 100+ chrome extensions installed?

cemico

Simon_P

No, this is no 3rd party problem. We developed the page until last week and were facing the issue by our own. On 4 different computers in different geographical locations.

Our customer did not edit the site. He has no account for the backend.

Simon

so, 4 different PC's in 4 different countries are able to 'wipe' all your settings, surely there must be something common between them.

If its supposedly easy enough for four of you to manage it there must be a way to tell us how to do it too.

cemico

Simon_P

It's not that all 4 systems are able to "wipe" all settings. In fact: No system is wiping all settings. 

It's about all 4 systems are working on the DMS2 frontend like it's intended to be. And sometimes no one touched any portion of the site. But then, from one day to another, content is lost on a page.

Sometimes one system is editing and saving content as it's intended to be. But after saving, all content is lost.

It's nothing that we can replicate. We worked for many days, on many pages. Everything worked nice and smooth. But then: Content was gone.

But as i said: We have a situation, where both sides (you and i) can't do anything.

I updated everything by now.

And i can only pray, that it wont happen again.

cemico

And again we lost content:

http://procul-akademie.de/phochdrei/punkte-sammeln/

You see the default TextBox content "Textbox Section" which replaced about 1 hour of work from our customer some days ago.

Yesterday the content was there.

Even after the update to all latest WP, plugin, DMS2, Plugin versions.

We did nothing.

And today the content is lost. Again.

That's so disappointing. That's so unreliable. 

Danny

Are the four people behind these four computers all editing the site ?

If they are doing the following, then this will likely explain your issue.

If person A, had added a TextBox with some content to your customers site and published the changes.

Then person B who is logged in, doesn't refresh the site after the changes from Person A have taken place and the he/she edits that same page, then clicks publish. It will overwrite the changes made by Person A.

This is because Person A updated the site, but Person B didn't refresh the site after the changes by Person A. So in theory, Person B is updating the site as it used to be.

If that is how you're working, then that is the explanation to your issue.

Please search our forums, before posting!

cemico

Danny

No one edited the site after my update some days ago.

But thanks for the detailed explanation how we can prevent loss of content this (one) way in future.

Andrew

Hey guys, just seeing this. Here's what we need to have to figure out this problem for GOOD. 

How can we (PageLines developers) duplicate this problem? 

Can you guys give me steps to reproduce this somewhere?

cemico

If person A, had added a TextBox with some content to your customers site and published the changes.

Then person B who is logged in, doesn't refresh the site after the changes from Person A have taken place and the he/she edits that same page, then clicks publish. It will overwrite the changes made by Person A.

This is because Person A updated the site, but Person B didn't refresh the site after the changes by Person A. So in theory, Person B is updating the site as it used to be.

If that is how you're working, then that is the explanation to your issue.

Danny i see: this means to me that PageLines' DMS is not multiuser capable as if i must call my customer each time, asking him if he's editing the site so that i can edit the site, is not possible.

Can you guys give me steps to reproduce this somewhere?

arpowers thank you for joining this conversation. maybe you, as the founder, can help us out.

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?