Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zabby

Magazine Layout Customization

batman    389
batman

HI Natalie

Please, you can confirm the link

"404 Page not found"

Life is too short to remove USB safely ...

zabby+    0
zabby

Above is a screenshot of it. The link is being weird. Thanks!

Danny    1,327
Danny

HI,

It's really hard to tell from that image, if that is a slider or not. Either way, it is possible with DMS to create any kind of layout you like, we already include a Magazine style blog layout. However, judging from the image you have attached, I would say to achieve a similar layout, you will likely need to either create your own section, view our store to see if there is anything similar or check out the WordPress plugins repo.

Please search our forums, before posting!

zabby+    0
zabby

Danny,

Thank you so much for the information. That image is of a full-width slider, where each image is linked to a post. I've toyed around with different slider options and can't seem to recreate it. Is this something I could do or is it better to hire a DMS developer?

Thanks again,

Natalie

Danny    1,327
Danny

Well the great thing about WordPress is that it's plugin community is vast. Therefore, me personally I would try searching the WordPress plugin repository for a Post slider and see what comes up. To implement most of these sliders you can either use the shortcode if the plugin supports it to your page content area via the WordPress page editor or use a hook.

If you want a custom slider developed to your preference, then you will want to contact one of the developers via our resources page - http://docs.pagelines.com/resources

Please search our forums, before posting!

GetMeWebDesign+    115
GetMeWebDesign

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

zabby+    0
zabby

Thank you Danny and "GetMeWebDesign" for the info. I purchased Essential Grid, which looks like it'll do what I want it to. http://www.thereadyman.com

Last question, I have the code for the slider from Essential Grid, but how do I insert it so that it is full-width without weird padding. Right now I'm using the "text" function and it's adding that padding you're seeing.

Thank you so much for the help,

Natalie

James B    436
James B

If you're adding the code into a textbox section, click on the edit icon to access the section options. There's an option for setting the padding inside of the textbox options - http://screencast.com/t/pyEyVV9tiX

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

GetMeWebDesign+    115
GetMeWebDesign

zabby Not sure what the code is you are adding, but not sure textbox is the best place to be adding it. I would personally plump for a Media box (which handles text and html) or PL NextBox, where there is an option to disable DMS padding. Additionally, PLNextBox is the only one that offers a true Full width. Not sure what you mean by the weird padding. On looking at the site, you appear to have a central text box where the app is working from and there is a function that is forcing the elements to fill the container. If it was in a PLNextbox full width, then your problem might go away (though certainly looks far from disastrous :) 

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

GetMeWebDesign+    115
GetMeWebDesign

zabby OK... just watched their video. Shortcode in a text box is a no-no. PlNext box please, content or full width, assuming you do not want to use a hook, which is what Danny would recommend

zabby+    0
zabby

Thanks everyone! GetMeWebDesign, the PLNext box works great.

greenfly    230
greenfly

Thank you for letting us know @zabby 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

GetMeWebDesign+    115
GetMeWebDesign

zabby. Now I see what you mean about the strange padding. Glad it is working for you :)

• Similar Content

• hansonexperience
      By hansonexperience+
      I saw after upgrading to DMS2 that magazine layout cannot be chosen anymore?
      After checking the Enable Legacy Mode in wp content/loop it is there again. So I could start using this great layout.

But why is it not there in DMS2?

And how can I have the post page also in the "old" DMS1 style (with featured image/thumnail not showing up?)
      This last question is solved with this code:
      #site .single-post .post-thumbnail-link { display: none; }   But why is the feature kicked out to disable the featured image on the post?
    • brianrobertchen
      By brianrobertchen
      I am currently using the magazine layout for my content.

Is there a way to customize it so I can show the full post content in the first 2 posts, and then just the thumbnails for the next 4? Right now, it looks like I can only choose between displaying full content OR thumbnails.

Thanks!

My site is http://chennibus.com/
    • njumara
      By njumara
      Hey guys,

I did this hack http://www.pagelines.com/forum/topic/19444-4-clips-per-row-in-magazine-layout-show-date/?hl=magazine+layout

and it works pretty well (padding seems wonky but that's fixable)

Moreover, just wanted to say for future updates that I would love a way to make the blog layout simply and cleanly in three columns, no sidebar. That would be awesome.

Also, and this is completely separate, but it would be great if we could cut the homepage into separate category blogs that are small sections showing say 4 posts per category. If there was a way to get drag and drop content buttons that call to specific blog categories and just stack them up on top of eachother, that would be well amazing.

Love pagelines, just thought I'd shout out the wishlist.
    • jbrouwer
      By jbrouwer
      Hi,

Is there a filter available to set a the post layout mode for a page? I am using the magazine layout for the main blog page and I would like to use the (normal) blog layout for a second and a third blog page. In the admin I can only set a default layout. Would be nice if there is an other way to achieve this.

Thanks!