Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mckdesign

2.0.5 update, custom LESS not working in IE8

mckdesign

hi. I know, IE8 is a dinosaur... but I have my site in 2.0.4, all was working well. I updated to 2.0.5 today and IE8 isn't picking up my custom LESS, even though it's in the compiled CSS.

2.0.4 version:

http://uspharmamktg.wpengine.com/

2.0.5 version (staging):

http://uspharmamktg.staging.wpengine.com/

Everything is the same but for the version of DMS. I'd first rolled the update on the primary version and got the display issues, so rolled back the server to my previous snapshot and then no more issues.

I've enabled debug on the staging version, if that helps.

Any ideas what's changed in 2.0.5 that's causing this? Or if it's something I've done that's not interacting with a 2.0.5 update?

Thanks!

James B

Could be due to caching on the hosts side, people have reported issues with the display in Wp engine previously as they have their own caching which doesn't update the new css url when the css/less recompiles . Try going to site settings > advanced and enable the alternate css urls to see if this resolves the issue.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

mckdesign

Hi, James. I've spent more time with this today, but cannot figure it out. I have checked and unchecked the Alternate CSS URLs to no result.

I'm working in the WPEngine Staging area, which has no caching.

I tried this:

In the Production (2.0.4) instance, I created a custom style in my child theme style.less file of body.homestyle. I hit the Flush Caches button, flushed the WPEngine cache and checked the compiled CSS. It shows up.

In the Staging (2.0.5) instance, I created a custom style in the child theme of body.homestaging. I hit the Flush Caches button, force refresh my browsers, but it's not showing in the compiled cache file.

I also tried just adding the custom declaration with body.homestagingDMS to the DMS editor's Custom LESS/CSS box. No go.

Is maybe something going wonky when I hit the Flash Caches button to compile the LESS into CSS?

James B

I've not used Wp engine but as far as i know its supposed to be the other way around. Anything in the staging area is where you edit and that's not cached so you see the results instantly. Anything in the production area is cached, Developer explains this in more depth on this thread - http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/31025-complied-css-publishing-issues/

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

mckdesign

Yup, as noted, I'm seeing this behavior in the staging area as well, so that's why I'm wondering if it's not a caching issue, but rather around something happening that is preventing IE8 from reading the compiled-css-core.css file (I'm assuming the ?ver number just forces the browser to pull fresh CSS?)

okay, just tried something: I took the compiled-css-core.css file from my 2.0.4 install and swapped it into the 2.0.5 install. Voila! Works in IE8. Page displays as it should.

So. Is something different in 2.0.5 in how the preprocessor works?

Simon

IE8 has a hard limit of 4096 css selectors, DMS is JUST under the limit, by adding a child theme style.less file you are putting it over the limit and IE8 will not show the css.

So do you have a child theme?

Does it have a LESS file?

Can you convert it to plain CSS and put it in style.css instead?

mckdesign

Aha! Splendid, a step closer to a solution. Thanks, Simon.

I do have a child theme with a LESS file. I will have more LES to add, though.

When I (painfully) browse the compiled CSS, I see a whole lot of selectors I'd never use, such as all the woocommerce stuff. Is there any way, sustainably, I can filter out that kind of CSS from the compiler? It seems that I can buy myself some space but cutting out overhead I don't need.

I also note what seems to be a large amount of CSS for the front-end editor. I'll make a suggestion that the front-end editor CSS get loaded separately only for the editor, helping to reduce even more load.

Simon

Aha! Splendid, a step closer to a solution. Thanks, Simon.

I do have a child theme with a LESS file. I will have more LES to add, though.

When I (painfully) browse the compiled CSS, I see a whole lot of selectors I'd never use, such as all the woocommerce stuff. Is there any way, sustainably, I can filter out that kind of CSS from the compiler? It seems that I can buy myself some space but cutting out overhead I don't need.

I also note what seems to be a large amount of CSS for the front-end editor. I'll make a suggestion that the front-end editor CSS get loaded separately only for the editor, helping to reduce even more load.

Just doing that now.. sections LESS is seperate that wont be an issue..

So if you can hang in there, next update will have the editor css removed from the core css, it gets the selector count down to about 3300

https://cloudup.com/c6wfyTh9NhS

mckdesign

that's great news. Thanks again, Simon, for pointing me down the correct path.

Will this be in the 2.0.6 that I see i the Forum but not in my account? Or 2.0.7?

Simon

Its should show 2.0.6 now.

Yea it will be in 2.0.7 im afraid you will have to wait for that.

Simon

If you are happy to edit a file i can provide the patch for now, its only one line to edit.

mckdesign

Sure, let me know what to edit.

Simon

[attachment=2165:Archive.zip]

Thats the 3 edited files. Just replace them.

mckdesign

Perfect. Many thanks. And with that, I'll close this thread.

Simon

did it work?

mckdesign

yup. the update or the patch added a small display issue (pl-column-forcer is showing up on my old friend IE) or two but nothing I shouldn't be able to work around.

Simon

thats great :)

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?