Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chrisayers

Feeling frustrated... Browser Compatible Gripes

chrisayers

First of all I would like to say. I LOVE DMS! I have been an avid user and supporter of Pagelines even on old framework. And I make sites that I think look great on my IMac and Note3. However more and more I am being asked by my clients to revert back to the 2014 theme or some old style Wordpress due to the fact that it will not display right in IE and older monitors. I know I am beating a dead horse here and your guys (just like me) would rather slit their wrists rather than even open up IE, much less code for it. What can I do here. If I use iboxes they do not work right, if I use rev slider it messes up, if I use any transitions or translate on scroll it messes up... Basically if I put anything "cool" on a website, It causes IE problems.

Is there just a simple plug in I can use to refer people to a old theme. I installed advanced browser check to warn people using commodore 64's that site might look bad but then get griped at for that too.

I really really want to keep using DMS and wish people will toss the Ataris out but what can I do till then...

Shines a bat signal up........

greenfly

As you know different browsers handle sites differently... Older browsers sometimes struggle with newer functionality. You have a few options. You can add alternative content for various browsers that don't pull their weight with certain content. 

You could create an alternative verison of the site entirely and redirect your users to this using a plugin here http://wordpress.org/plugins/source-redirect-site/ 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

chrisayers

Thanks Martin. I will try that plug in. I was really frustrated last night when my client told me she could not use her own website and wanted her money back unless I changed the theme. Granted this is after her website got endorsed by a major sponsor who loved her website with DMS. 

Danny

What version of IE are you talking about. The DMS Pro Tools plugin contains scripts that add better compatibility with IE8 and above. However, we will never support IE6 or IE7 if that is what your client is referring too?

Please search our forums, before posting!

chrisayers

Specifically it was the jasmine cain website that I was forced to revert to 2014 theme last night Danny. She could not access her menu on her android and I pad. The "black" area that slides over was clear and under the content. I have this problem accross the board. I have attempted to use your DMS tool and ticked the compatibility on several sites but then my editor will not load on page I get the OOOPS. This website is next on the radar.  I had to put a note on top to tell people to use chrome but client is still not happy. When I went to the TV station I noticed that they all still had XP computers. The first thing they all pulled up the sites and said what the hell... All I could do was tell 15 people in a board room that they had to spend thousands of dollars to upgrade thier computers just to look at my site....

http://knoxgrads.com/   looks great to me but goes to hell on IE and Mondo pads

Danny

Well thats the problem right there, they're using an Operating System that is from the dark ages meaning XP, which was released over 12 years ago. Now DMS uses a lot of advanced techniques and the latest coding standards in HTML 5 and CSS3. If they're using XP, then they're likely using an old version of IE (if its IE6, you should scream at them). As their developer you really need to enforce the following onto them.

Tell them that they're likely a security risk or very vulnerable due to the age of this systems. You need to inform them that with the systems and technology they're using, they're not viewing the web as it was intended. Due to the functionality provided by DMS, its unlikely that we could ever provide compatibility to such old systems/technology.

chrisayers

I am going to just mark this as solved because for you guys it is. The issue really is not so much with DMS or your products it is with people refusal to upgrade their desktops every 10 years but upgrade their phones every 10 months. I Love DMS and will support you guys as much as possible.

Danny

I am going to just mark this as solved because for you guys it is. The issue really is not so much with DMS or your products it is with people refusal to upgrade their desktops every 10 years but upgrade their phones every 10 months. I Love DMS and will support you guys as much as possible.

lol, I have never heard it put so brilliantly before, I may use that in the future! :D

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?