Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gonchar

Warning! PLNextBox plugin 1.1 update has broken all existing PLNextBox sections

Gonchar

PLNextBox plugin update from 1.0 for 1.1 has broken all existing PLNextBox sections!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could you say How it is possible in DMS Company? 

Simon

broken how?

Gonchar

All created sections on page have disappeared after update

Gonchar

i mean only PLNexBox sections!

Gonchar

is anybody who tests updates before giving it for people?

i 've lost all my work!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simon

did the nextbox section just disapear from the available sections?

Gonchar

you know, i noticed and was a bit surprised when updating - there was written in wordpress "deleting plugin" and then "installing plugin"

as i understand 1.0 was deleted, not updated!

and then installed 1.1

Gonchar

Simon

and what about compensation?

it was one week work

Aires

Simon

and what about compensation?

it was one week work

Dude seriously? So you want to be compensated for some work that Simon isn't paying you to do to begin with. Every current and past DMS customer has ran into a bug or glitch and the Dev's  IMO have done a great job at fixing the errors as they occur. Every software has its flaws that's why there are developers and customers like you and I who rely on them to make our lives and businesses run a lot easier.

There are 30 days in the month of April and DEV club fee is 30 bucks so I guess you would like 1 dollar for each day of the week you worked on the a website for YOUR CLIENT.

ndTgvai.jpg

Visit iheartpagelines.com for the latest tutorials on PageLines related products.

Gonchar

Hi, Aires!

Thank you for answer!

i understand your opinion

i do not know what kind of compensation DMS Company offers (if do offers, of course)

i do think DMS Company is interested in high level of DMS2 working "to make our lives and businesses run a lot easier", not harder

so, bugs need to be respected, it means to be measured

Gonchar

not evaluated bugs do not tell any priorities

James B

All sections are tested by the developer team prior to pushing the update but there will always be certain situations arise where things happen that didn't appear in testing. When a plugin updates the original version is removed and replaced with the update, the content from that section is saved to the WordPress database so it wouldn't have been lost so to speak. It could just be you're the first person to stumble across a bug since the update went out, so in order to address that we'd need you to provide some more information such as:

What was in the nextbox section originally? Php, html, embed code etc.

Does the section still appear in the layout, albeit empty? Or has it been removed from the layout completely? 

If the answer to the above is that it doesn't appear in the layout, does the icon for the nextbox section still appear in the 'add to page' area in the DMS control panel.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

GetMeWebDesign

James B Wouldnt this have had to be removed as the update was to offer two PLNextbox sections (content and full width). Previously, it had been 'listed' under Miscellaneous but now appears under Fullwidth, Components as well as Your sections?

For the record, I had no issues with the update, but was using them for basic usage... shortcode, html, and embed code. I particularly like the feature to remove DMS padding :)

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

Gonchar
Hi, James!

LPNextBox disappeared in the layout at all. All them have been removed from the layout completely

in the nextbox sections originally was html and text and shortcodes, not php, not embed code.

But the icon for the nextbox section still appear in the 'add to page' area in the DMS control panel.

You wrote "When a plugin updates the original version is removed and replaced with the update, the content from that section is saved to the WordPress database so it wouldn't have been lost so to speak"

Would you say where should i see?

Danny

OK, so I removed the update that changed NextBox from version 1.1 to 1.0, this basically means that I have the version before updating. I then added three NextBoxes containing some basic PHP. I then added the re-added the changes that were included in the update, which was this:

-Version: 1.0     +Version: 1.1     +Filter: component, dual-width     +Loading: active

Red means removed, Green means added.

I then reloaded the sections so that the update was added and the full width section was included. My NextBoxes were still available on my template. .

Also, we do not provide any compensation to users who loose their work, this is because most of the time loss of work/code etc... is either caused by user error, conflicts caused by plugins/custom code or poorly (cheap) web hosting.

It's common practice among the WordPress community to have backups, you should also get into the routine of making backups yourself, before updating anything this includes updates to your theme, plugin, section or even WordPress itself, this is just as a precaution, but one that everyone should do. If I was you, I would contact your web host provider and see if they have a backup which all good web hosts do, these usually are either done on a weekly or daily basis (daily is a sign of a decent web host). 

Therefore, to attempt to recreate your issue, I am going to need to know what code was being used in your NextBoxes, as I am unable to recreate your issue using basic PHP

Please search our forums, before posting!

Gonchar
in the nextbox sections originally was html and text and shortcodes.

Not php, not embed code.

i had ~ 40 different PLNextBox sections. That's lost(

Simon
There is a warning on the Wordpress updates page suggesting you keep a backup

If you have access to the db all the section data is stored there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Danny

OK, I have added four NextBoxes to my page, two containing HTML and two containing shortcodes - https://cloudup.com/cXXrCi3h3WX

I then ran the update to the latest version of NextBox, those sections were still present as were the contents of those sections. Therefore, you likely have something wrong with your either your WordPress installation caused by how it was setup, a plugin conflict or your server isn't configured correctly.

You will need to provide a link to the site in question and enable DMS Debug mode - DMS Toolbar > Settings > Advanced.

Also, the latest version of a plugin is installed before the old version is removed, this is the standard procedure of WordPress, the message looks like this:

Installing the latest version…

Removing the old version of the plugin…

Plugin updated successfully.

Gonchar

Hi, Danny!

While updating from DMS 2.0.4. for 2.0.6.

is there a risk to lose some data or customized sections, page or saved custom "add-to-page" sections?

Alex

Danny

There should be no risk to losing any data or sections you have configured on your site. However, all users should backup their website before performing any update to plugins, themes, sections or even WordPress itself.

So I would perform a backup  as a precaution and then update.

Gonchar

Thank you, Danny!

Danny

No problem dude, happy to help!

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • mno
      By mno+
      In DMS we used to have the section "PLNextBox"that was pretty handy for adding php code in different parts of the page. I used it a lot in global sections like the footer and header to detect what is the current language of the site and based on that output the right string.
      Is the embed section going to support php in the future? are you bringing PLNextBox to PL5? is there another way to work with multiple languages for the global footer and header sections?

• flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!