Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

illinimatt81

Bullet Point Appearing in Sidebar

illinimatt81

I'm seeing something odd since I updated to Wordpress 3.9 and DMS 2.0.4

In Google Chrome only there is what appears to be a bullet point appearing in my sidebar next to a graphic. I have tried everything from creating a new widget, disabling plugins, different images and it just won't go away. Not seeing this replicated in Firefox nor IE.

Any ideas what might be causing it? 

Please see http://screencast.com/t/Xvpkx4jt8

You can find this on any blog post page or the blog itself ex. http://runneracademy.com/blog

Again, only Google Chrome. This started appearing with the latest DMS update.

Danny

Hi,

This isn't something related to DMS, this is either related to the plugin you're using or the HTML you have used. For example, those widgets are in a list. But are not wrapped by a <ul> or <ol> tag. So whatever you're using isn't valid HTML. 

Please search our forums, before posting!

illinimatt81

Why would this start appearing now and wasn't appearing before updating to 2.0.4 and only in Chrome? Is there a tag or something I can wrap the widget text in to eliminate the issue as you suggest?

James B

Try using the following css to remove it.

li#text-33 {
  1. list-style: none;
}

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

Danny

This isn't a DMS issue as far as I am concerned, the HTML used to display some of those widgets is not correct, as it is using a <li>...</li> without anything to define it such as a ul or ol tag. So the HTML to start with is invalid. In regards as to why this is only appearing recently I can not tell you, it isn't as far as I am aware related to DMS update 2.0.4, the likely issue is something changed in a recent update to Chrome.

However, the issue still remains that you have invalid HTML, like I mentioned above, so you will want to resolve this. DMS already uses the following:

ul.sidebar_widgets {
list-style-type: none;
}

You can use the code James mentioned above this should remove it from your site. However, this is related to either the code or the plugin used in your widgets area.

illinimatt81

Try using the following css to remove it.

li#text-33 {
  1. list-style: none;
}

Bingo! Thank you James B it was like a zit showing up on a date!

I tried a variety of CSS fixes after the reason Danny suggested but nothing worked. Glad this is resolved. Odd that it was only happening in Chrome...

Danny

I honestly believe it has to do with how those widgets have been coded, especially the Listen to the Podcast widget. I happy to hear James code resolved your issue.

If you encounter a similar issue in the future, try use the default widgets that come with DMS and if you do use a Text widget, add only text, no HTML or ther code and see if you can see the issue returns.

illinimatt81

I honestly believe it has to do with how those widgets have been coded, especially the Listen to the Podcast widget. I happy to hear James code resolved your issue.

If you encounter a similar issue in the future, try use the default widgets that come with DMS and if you do use a Text widget, add only text, no HTML or ther code and see if you can see the issue returns.

I had played around with everything - removing Divs/html from the code, css fixes, deactivating the custom sidebar plugin, fixed sidebar plugin, etc. Still baffled why it was only Chrome and that it suddenly broke when it has been the same in Framework, DMS1 and now DMS2 until recently...

Danny

Well as I mentioned above, Chrome updates automatically, so they may have changed something, such as being more strict with invalid HTML. Have you tried using basic widgets, does the same thing appear ? It doesn't on my end.

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?