Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stebac

Adding Unique Titles and Descriptions to Category Pages.

stebac+    3
stebac

Hi Everyone.

I run my blog over at http://foodandfitness.co.uk, i'm currently rebranding and updating using DMS 2 (which is pretty badass).

It would be extremely useful for me to be able to add a unique title and description to the top of every category page, mostly for user experience and SEO purposes.

Seeing that the category page uses the same template, any edits to one category page are applied to the rest.

Is there a simple solution to my problem? Is there an easy way to customise each category page so that it becomes unique? I would simply like to be able to add a text box to the top of each category page.

I'm not entirely sure if this is a Wordpress issue or a DMS issue, so i apologise in advance - but after hours searching various forums with zero success it would be great if someone has a definitive answer to this?

Many thanks in advance,

Ste.

batman    389
batman

Hi stebac

I´m not sure but... perhaps you can use the "Post Info" section

http://screencast.com/t/1h02gfaT

Life is too short to remove USB safely ...

stebac+    3
stebac

Thanks batman

This is a useful section, but i really need to be able to add unique content to each individual category page.

I currently have categories for food, recipes, fitness, health and lifestyle.

I really could do with a way to add a unique title and and paragraph of text to each category page - just like the text box allows.

Although when adding a text box to one category page, the content is added to every category page - i think because it is a special page like the post loop that uses the same template?

Thank you very much for your suggestion though, it is appreciated.

Ste.

• Like 1

batman    389
batman

Hi again

It is very interesting your question 
Maybe you can try to add multiple "textbox" and hide one by one on the corresponding pages.
;)

batman    389
batman

ahhh

Of course, certainly, you can add a function with a hook but I don't know nothing about this, this is for me more complicated than the "Davinci Code"

:)

James B    436
James B

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

stebac+    3
stebac

batman - Thanks once again for your help! I agree some things can become more complicated than the Davinci Code, haha.

James B - Thanks for pointing me towards what looks like some useful advice, i will set some time aside in the coming days to give these solutions a try.

Thanks very much guys.

Danny    1,327
Danny

Thanks for informing us your question has been answered.

Please search our forums, before posting!

• Similar Content

• JP
      By JP+
      Hello,
      We are working on a 2 languages site (https://liguecardioliga.be) with wpml, and lately the call of a category in the loops section (and all the sections requiring a category to select posts) doesn't work in the translated language. It worked well until recently so I wonder if it's because of a recent update (wordpress, wpml, pagelines, a plugin?). Anyone has the same problem? a solution?
      TIA
    • Queue-it
      By Queue-it+
      Hi,
      Previous webmaster has made short codes assigned to certain categories. For example: [pl_section section="loops" id="003"]  displays all the Job posts for tech. 
      But where can I assign a short code for a certain category? I can't find where to add the loop ID for the category.

Thank you

• Queue-it
      By Queue-it+
      I've created a new post category "Success stories" with Custom Post type UI. (in order to have a different layout for a different post category - blog post one layout, success stories another layout).
      New category "success stories" are "detached" from all the other posts, so they have a different layout, but the problem is that all of the success stories are also having the same exact content.
      So whenever I edit content (e.g. change body text) on one of success story posts, it also changes the content (body text) for all other Success story category posts. 

Question: Is there a way to retain this separate category with it's own layout, and have a different content for each individual post? I'm using Pagelins templates. 
       Thanks in advance.
    • Queue-it
      By Queue-it+
      Hi,
      Is is possible to have different layouts for different Post categories? We have Blog posts, News posts and Case studies that all are posts, but is it possible to differentiate their layouts?
      So far when I change a post layout it affects all Post type pages. Could it be done somehow with creating a separate template? 
      Examples below
      https://queue-it.com/news/
      https://queue-it.com/blog/

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date