Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brightonkeller

DMS editor not loading

brightonkeller

uh oh - don't know what I did. I restored my website back to previous check point but (crazy!) that didn't work :(

disabled plugins

did all I could think of!

any idea what I screwed up this time?!

website is --- brightontheday.com

see screen shot below

website-messup-april-21.png

brightonkeller

Now I'm seeing that it looks (relatively) normal when I'm logged OUT of admin but then looks like it does in screen shot above once I'm logged in a try and view DMS editor (on front end of website)....

I have just restored my website back 2 days and it STILL does it! what on earth? no clue what's going on here :(

Simon_P"] @[member="Danny - what am I missing?! :startle:

Danny

Hi,

What do you mean you restored your site from a previous checkpoint ? What did you do exactly and why did you need to do the restore ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

brightonkeller

Danny - my host (wpengine) create automatic database backup every day. So when I screw things up, it comes in handy to sort of "go back in time" to before I messed everything up! haha. That's what I mean by "restore" previous backup version of database.

The update is my error console shows the following: 

screen-shot-of-error-console.png

And I am still not able to access my DMS editor - here is what I see when logged into my admin and view main site:

2014-04-22_8-04-35.png

brightonkeller

Hi,

What do you mean you restored your site from a previous checkpoint ? What did you do exactly and why did you need to do the restore ?

to more directly answer your question Danny - here is a screen shot of my WPENGINE admin interface showing exactly how I would restore the backup point:

wpengine-dashboard-backup-db.png

brightonkeller

anyone? kind of freaking out a little bit here... :)

Simon
go to wp-admin => pagelines and click 'save' in the css fallback settings.

Trouble here is wpengine uses mega aggressive caching, and you are editing the production site. This is why they have a staging area.

There is a setting under advanced options to use an alternative css method for hosts like this.

brightonkeller

Simon_P thanks a bunch - and that makes sense. 

From now on I'll try not to edit production site. but even after I did this, I'm still not able to see DMS and it still looks the same....

Did you see the javascript errors? are those the issue? I read that in the common issues documentation for why DMS editor wouldn't load

Danny

Debug mode isn't activated, also can you contact our helpdesk and provide the following:

A link to this topic so our staff have a reference.

A link to your site in quesiton.

Your admin username and password

Make sure all plugins are disabled

Make sure DMS debug mode is active.

hello at pagelines dot com

brightonkeller

Danny - ok will do asap 

am i missing something? 

my wp-config shows following and i dont see wp debug anywhere....feeling kind of dumb here ha

wp-config.php contents removed for security purposes.

Danny

Please do not post your wp-config.php file contents, this is a major security issue by doing so. Users who have this information can gain access to your site. I have remove that information, if you wish to include this info, please do so when contacting our helpdesk.

brightonkeller

Danny I figured that would be an issue - whoops. NOTED.

just wanted to show you that I wasn't able to find the function  :ass:

Danny

What function are you referring to ?

greenfly

Hi @ Brightonkeller

Debug is located in the visual editor > site settings > advanced

I have just picked up your email  :) 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

James B

Mod team - details of wp-config in moderator admin notes at top of thread.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

brightonkeller

hello? anybody have a status update? 

ps: been in contact with wpengine too and one thing they did say was that "It appears that the CSS isn't loading because the page editing function is missing," - not sure what that means though?

Simon

did you try the alternative css setting?

brightonkeller

Simon_P - am i missing something? just stared at pagelines pro admin section for 10 min and do not see any alternative css setting????!!!

Simon

Its got nothing to do with the pro plugin.

Under advanced option in the dms editor.

brightonkeller
But
I don't have access to dms editor!

Danny

You're going to need to remove all custom scripts/code and disable all plugins, then one of our staff will login and see if there is anything they can do.

However, from looking at your sites source code, all the links for the DMS styles/scripts appear to be correct, so the issue is likely caused by action when restoring from a previous backup.

Also, we are likely going to need FTP access, IP address, username and password. On the mod notes we only appear to have the IP address and username. Therefore, please contact our helpdesk with this information.

We also are going to need you to enable WP_DEBUG, if the information I am seeing in our mod notes are indeed your wp-config.php file, then I can't that snippet. So you're going to need to add the following to your wp-config.php file (backup first).

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

Set that to true, then reply here when you have.

Simon

Right, fixed your site.

1. You had copied ALL the less files into your child theme, you only need to copy any files you need to edit. So i renamed the folder to less_old.

2. You had a style.less file also in the child theme with an unclosed block ( missing a } ) causing the LESS compiler to fail. Fixed that too

So, in future, only copy the less files you need to edit ;)

brightonkeller

Simon_P thanks Simon!

1. Sorry you had to go in there and find that it was something so silly as a mistake but I've got a question because I must have misunderstood what Nick Hastins was saying here

Some Logic

So let’s say you want to get rid of the padding on .hentry-pad. Normally, it has a padding-bottom of 20px or whatever. So you’d peck .hentry .hentry-pad {padding:0;}into place, which does the job, great. But now both are loading. We can clean this up completely. All you have to do is create a /less folder in your child theme, and copy .pl-core.less from pagelines/less to your child theme’s /less directory. What happens, is that the compiler will see that you have the same file in your theme, and will compile that instead of the one in core.

This is huge! This means that PageLines, has one of the cleanest theming methods around. This also means you could create an entirely new theme using the compiler and options API. What I mean by “clean” is that there’s no CSS overwrites in source, keeping it squeaky clean. It’s really quite brilliant.

So why can't I just copy then all over because I don't want the default pagelines css files to load...i feel like I'm CONSTANTLY having to fight the default css styles and it makes customization so very difficult. I end up using selectors that are too specific or whatever - so that I can simply override the default css. you know? I'd love to just use CSS from a clean slate and not have to worry about always trying to override pagelines FIRST and THEN adding what I want to do on it.....

2. I'm just curious. I would like to be able to find these stupid errors myself. how did you discover this missing block? my console as not showing any errors? any usually in the past my DMS/Pagelines would show that there was a LESS compiler error and even indicate which line it was on! I had NO IDEA that the issue was derived from such a dumb and simple error. If I would have known, this issue could have hopefully been solved in a day rather than an entire week...

thanks!

Danny

1. You can do as Nick recommended, but that is really only used for theming, if you're not creating an entire theme, then there really isn't any point in duplicating all the files if you're only going to make minor changes to a few of the files.

2. When creating your custom CSS, you should always use a code editor, I use Atom (by GitHub, via atom.io) which is currently invite only and I have no invites left and SubLime Text 3 (best code editor there is in my opinion). These code editor like many other decent ones, have lint packages you can install that mark your code when there is an error. So creating your code in a Code editor is the best method even CSS ninja's will use a code editor. The other way is to use a service like this - http://csslint.net/ or just review your code line by line. You should follow the best practices of CSS, i.e. making your code readable so its easier to understand and see errors and always comment your code so you know exactly what it does.

This is an awesome guide - http://codeguide.co/