Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

timjay

DMS editor frozen

timjay

Since trying to use DMS I've experienced nothing but problems and issues. It boasts that users can set up and design a site "in 10 minutes" but this has been nothing but farther from the truth for me! I really want to upgrade from Framework to DMS, but A) I don't see the reason why--it seems much of what I can do in DMS I can do in Framework with less headache and I can't get DMS to work properly.

The last change I made was putting a post loop on the front page. I set it to show one full post and checked enable full post. When I refreshed, it showed every post as full posts and now the DMS editor menu will not come up. It is stuck at the bottom of the screen. No matter what menu I click, it will not reappear. I've also tried pressing ALT A and nothing happens. I've deactivated and ated and same problem. 

batman

Hi timjay

If the DMS editor isn't working, then its likely you have either a plugin or a custom script causing the issue.

Please, you can deactivate all plugin first and remove custom script.

If disabling plugins and removing any custom scripts you have doesn't resolve the issue, then it could well be server related.

Life is too short to remove USB safely ...

greenfly

Hi timjay

Could we have a link to your site? also can you disable all plugins and emove any custom code. 

once you have disabled your code and plugins, the DMS MENU will show - then please enable the debug in site settings > advanced.

Issues with using DMS are related to server setup or plugin conflicts.

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

timjay

Can I private you the link, as I'm not at liberty to post it publicly? Also, the site is in maintenance mode so you can't see anything now. I can disable it temporarily. 

I disabled all plugins, but that did not solve the problem. The posts showing in the post loop all contain HTML and javascript. I guess in order to make DMS work, I'd have to go in and unpublish each post!

So, does DMS clash with custom HTML in each post? If so, I will have to go back to Framework as most of my content is html and javascript in a post...

Danny

DMS doesn't class with any kind of HTML, badly coded HTML inside a post or any section that supports will likely screw up your layout, but this can happy in any theme or framework. The issue is most likely related to the JavaScript in your posts. Why do all posts contain JavaScript ? If that is the true then it's likely the cause of the issue. What does the JavaScript do ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

timjay

I've just switched back to Framework. DMS is just a headache for me.

I use javascript for interactive visuals for posts. If something is wrong with the code I don't really have time to go through each post to determine what part of the code is causing the problem. Most utilize a full width layout template, which the homepage is not, so maybe it is clashing with other elements or sidebars on the homepage, or with each other. 

It's no longer a problem as I am back using Framework. I realized that just about everything I wanted to do in DMS I can do (easier) with Framework, DMS just has a different concept behind putting it all together.  It would have helped if DMS had an "undo" button or shortcut code to get out of sticky situations like that.

Danny

OK, well the decision is entirely up to you, if you're happy to use PageLines Framework, then cool. However, DMS is superior to PageLines Framework and please be aware that PageLines Framework is considered legacy and will eventually no longer be supported.

Also, what kind of JavaScript is it ?

timjay

I would just like to suggest that in the development of DMS3 or whatever else is going to replace DMS2, DMS, Framework, Platform, etc, this is taken into consideration (a way to add code safely--has anyone even tried adding a javascript-heavy content into a post with DMS to test?). My posts' javascript work fine with every other theme.I only experienced the problem with DMS, because of the way DMS works, which is not like other themes. The theme/layout doesn't break, the dashboard (the basis of the DMS system) does. 

I create data visualizations with javacript, d3, json, etc. for most of my posts.  DMS may be superior than the others in theory, but not in my particular case, if DMS can't handle my needs and Framework is unsupported, I will have to find a completely different theme/theme developer, unfortunately, as I've been with Pagelines through Platform and Framework.

Danny

You still have shown us what this JavaScript is and how you're adding it to your posts. If you're adding this JavaScript to your posts, by simply using the HTML editor in the WordPress post editor, then that isn't the really the correct method to do so.

When using custom JavaScript you usually add the scripts to either the Header or Footer area. However, if you only want this JavaScript to added to posts, then you likely don't want or need it loaded on every page so adding it to the Header/Footer area is unnecessary.

You should read the guide on the WordPress codex for assistance - https://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Javascript#JavaScript_in_Posts

You shouldn't include it via the HTML editor in the Post editor, just because it works in other themes doesn't mean that is the correct method to use it.