Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmad

Custom Icons in DMS

jmad

I have a client that would potentially like to use custom icons on their site.  I'm not sure (because they weren't) if they have them setup as an icon font or just png (or similar) items but I'm guessing as images.  

If it's an icon font how do I implement it with DMS2?  

Also, is the best way to implement them if they are simply png files to drop them all in the media library?  

Danny

Hi,

If they're images, then you just upload them to a custom directory and then use that path to include them on your pages. In regards to icon fonts, the icon font website should provide a guide on how to setup.

Please search our forums, before posting!

mstress

jmad, does your client want to add a icon, like the ones in the footer of DMS2 (CSS3/HTML5/PL) or other?

I'd like to know how to add a custom icon in that string.

Danny what icon font website are you referring to?

What is the location of the icon font in DMS that displays the CSS3/HTML5 icons??

jmad

Danny

Could you or batman give more specific instructions on how to include images for icons.  Where to load in file system or should just load in WP Media for a couple.  Also, how would I have one icon and then switch it out on hover.  I've been reading about doing that via CSS but see many different approaches.  

Thanks.

batman

Hi jmad

You don´t need to add this in WP Media

You can use for example

<i class="fa fa-camera-retro fa-lg"></i> fa-lg

here more examples

http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/examples/

The DMS have the fontawesome

http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icons/

Life is too short to remove USB safely ...

jmad

batman

I'm wanting to add custom icons not use the FA icons but some that I have as png files.  

Tehbeardedgamer

Actually I just had a client ask if I could also add custom icon to both Ibox and the Navigation. I could not figure this one out on my own.

batman

Hi Tehbeardedgamer

Please create a new topic, as we only allow one question per topic for search indexing reasons.

Life is too short to remove USB safely ...

jmad

batman"]  I think maybe you misunderstood my question.  @[member="Tehbeardedgamer is asking the same question really.  How to add custom icons into DMS2?  Beyond adding them to DMS I can use them as needed.   

Simon

jmad The icons that are selectable in the DMS options are all the available icons from the font awesome font. There is no way to add icons to this array, because you cant add them to the font.

If you are simply trying to add some kind of image to the links at the bottom of a page, then as someone suggested above, use an image and perhaps use jquery to insert that image into the page next to the existing icons. Or alternatively get the font awesome developer to add your icon into the font, but i doubt that is possible ;)

jmad

Simon_P  I guess that I really was not clear in what I am looking to do.  

I'm wanting to use a few, icons from a source like Creative market to implement into a site.  We are talking maybe 15 tops.  My question is really...What is the best approach for adding these to DMS2 not to sections but just in general?  Should I just add them to the media library and then reference them from there?  Or should I drop the images into a folder via FTP and reference them that way?  

The other part was more of a CSS question about how to swap one image for another on hover?  

Sorry my original question wasn't clear.

Danny

OK, I am confused are you wanting to adding images or icons ? As far as I am aware only images .gifs, .jpgs, .pngs etc... can be uploads to the WordPress media library. If it is font icons then you will want to include them like a script or use @font-face.

If these icons are actually images then I would upload them via the WordPress media library, that way all your images are in one location which means easier to locate and manage.

If you want to switch an FA icon on hover with another, follow the instructions here - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19502835/is-it-possible-to-change-between-two-fontawesome-icons-on-hover

jmad

So I guess this is clear in my mind but not here.  Danny you posted before.  Is it better to add images into a directory or into WP media (will one way improve performance over the other?

"If they're images, then you just upload them to a custom directory and then use that path to include them on your pages. In regards to icon fonts, the icon font website should provide a guide on how to setup."

Thanks.

Danny

Is it better to add images into a directory or into WP media (will one way improve performance over the other?

Why would one way improve performance over the other?