Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

antipodes

masonic gallery

antipodes

The new masonic gallery looks great on the demo site, but I don't see anyway to get a grid of squares; the overlay text and image is a rectangle - but I want to use 228 by 228 photos.

The masonic gallery sections could use some more documentation and samples.

Danny

Hi,

You're most likely using the Thumbnail option, which is causing the issue, the section does say the following "For best results use large or full image sizes.". Therefore, I recommend you return the Select Thumb Size back to Select (default) or use the Full option. This should resolve your issue.

Please search our forums, before posting!

antipodes

Danny,

thanks for your quick reply and sorry for my slow one... but that doesn't make much difference;

The problem would seem to be a mismatch between my image size and the grid. I have been wading thru the style.css etc but I don't see a way to do two things; 

1. change the grid to the picture size of 228px or

2. centre the image so it does look stupid.

As I asked in the original post-connected to the above, the best way to work this out would be to be able to see the source for the demo site(dummy data?).

I don't understand why this has gone away even though it's still documented as being there.  213323278-PageLines-DMS-2-User-Guide - last page.

thanks

nfp1900

If you would like all the images to be in a consistent grid choose:

Gallery format: image/masonry

Select post type: I use posts

Select thumb size: large

You then need to add the correctly sized feature image to all posts, in your case 228 x 228. The page should then create a neat grid of images which reflow depending on the available screen width. The post  title shown on rollover.

Danny

nfp1900 - Thanks for your input.

antipodes

Hello

please look here

http://qpp.pw

the pictures are 228 by 228 but the grid seems to be about 400 wide by 300....

doesn't matter what thumbnail size I use...

I am using custom posts as suggested in the section...

this is a test site and I am happy to give anyway access to it.. if you tell me where to send.

let me repeat the desired result is either a grid which matches the photo size or the photo centred in the grid.

thanks

nfp1900

Change the Gallery Format option to "image/Masonry". It is currently set to 'grid mode'.

Refresh and the titles will disappear and the images will be shown without the gap. 

antipodes

nfp190,

you mean the top bottom gaps ?

I am talking about left/right gaps and justification.

that was why the nav bar includes only

http://qpp.pw/grid-mode/

http://qpp.pw/masonry/

to pagelines

I am still waiting for an answer on the dummy data please

thanks

nfp1900

Not sure why the images aren't forming a grid  - see the section marked blog on this test site, they all align correctly without any spacing using the settings I suggested. 

I have also used a full width and content width with the same images and they both look ok. In this case the feature image is 500 x 650

antipodes

The size seems to matter, I think the problem is I want to use 228x228 or thereabouts but the minimum width of each cell in the grid seems to be 400px, which doesn't suit my need here... 

antipodes

Ok - I proved this theory by uploading 400 x 400 pictures; it looks OK on chrome but not very nice on safari.  Looks to me as though masonic gallery needs more work as well as more documentation.

http://qpp.pw/400-2/

Andrew

Yes, make sure to upload pictures that are large enough so that WP can cut them to the appropriate Image sizes! 

antipodes

..so the grid has what minimum size ?

antipodes

...oh and is there an easy way to centre justify the image ?   IMHO that should be the default - the current left justification doesn't look good under any circumstances...

Danny

They're not aligned left, they look that way because of your image sizes, to see what I am referring to, simply hover over your images and you will see the overly which is the correct size and you will notice that the image isn't aligned left, but is centred. 

antipodes

...and the correct size is documented where?

- so this is how you describe centre justified !

left-justified-masonic-gallery.png

GetMeWebDesign

To get measurements, then use something simple like the chrome extension Page Ruler

It is centred, but your image is not large enough. I have not tested this, but you might be able to get around centering by adding transparency to the left of the image

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

antipodes

OK - so we are starting to get somewhere;   so you are saying there is a fixed size to images on the masonic grid -- and that's the same as the overlay...? but no one published the size and I need to get that using the chrome ruler....

There is of course more than one size in the samples...

Is getting information on DMS sections always so much like pulling teeth ?

Danny

The section already included inline documentation, it clearly states the following:

For best results use large or full image sizes.

So you should use large images, 228x228 is far too small, try something that WordPress can actually crop, I wouldn't use anything below 400x400. I understand that our documentation for sections is lacking, and they are being worked on.

GetMeWebDesign

First you will have to excuse the fact that I view with 110% zoom. For some reason I can not view masonic properly at 100%!

http://screencast.com/t/JDa6ldeG2Y. Top row as you have it, bottom row, two types of images 1) edited with paint to have 400px wide and centred; 2) edited with gimp to 400px wide and transparency. Both on full width masonic

On content 1250px width 10/12 inner width and indent >1.  http://screencast.com/t/5rs5tWDmNj

Fullwidth http://screencast.com/t/g02zhpYcdSiS

On content area 1350px, inner 12/12 http://screencast.com/t/RrsGpXX8Mfq

I guess I am saying is you need to work with it and decide between full width or content wide. If you want centering (though maybe not necessary with content wide?) adjust with Paint or gimp or some other image editor

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

antipodes

Danny

I am tired of all these weasel words, if you don't have anything useful to contribute please keep out of the forum.

bryan

antipodes

GetMe WebDesign

thanks, some of you comments are very helpful... I guess I will try and document it .

bryan

Danny

Danny

I am tired of all these weasel words, if you don't have anything useful to contribute please keep out of the forum.

bryan

What do you mean by weasel words ? Are you saying you do not want me to reply to any of your posts ?

antipodes

Danny,

sorry that was probably much too strong, but I have long since forgotten the frustration and missed deadline. Also I could have sworn I deleted the comment.

Having said that I don't want anyone replying to my posts unless the answer is as considered as the post, updates and recreation.

When you see someone has gone to the trouble of recreating a problem, I think it deserves a much better response than was given, and especially I don't like being told I can't trust my own eyes or that my image sizes are 'incorrect' when there is nothing documented on the required size.

thanks

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • bartok
      By bartok+
      Masonic gallery sorting feature does not work in portrait mode on iPhone. After selecting an individual category and then scrolling down the page, every box reappears. Test it out for yourself: http://themes.pagelines.com/dms/portfolio-fullwidth-masonry/. What is the fix for this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!