Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

geoff

Simple Form on Landing Page

geoff

I may just be stupid, but I have spent far too much time searching so I must just be looking for the wrong thing.

I am brand new to DMS/Pagelines. I know how to do this in HTML but can't, for the life of me, grok how to do this in DMS2 from the docs.

I want to create a landing page with a 2 column layout. Easy.

I want to put a call to action with a button. Easy.

I want to have a form field for someone to enter their email address before clicking aforementioned CTA. Bueller? Bueller?

So I don't see a form object in the sections, and I don't see anything having to do with forms or form fields in the docs. What am I missing here?

Form, action = post to database somewhere. Form field = textbox, type = email. Basic stuff. Why is this not obvious nor intuitive in DMS2? 

Someone please point me in the right direction.

jmad

There isn't a form component built into DMS2.  Or not as far as I know.  It would certainly be nice and maybe that's one of the components the Pagelines team could add for the Developers Club.

I use the Contact Form7 plugin and have had good results.  I also see gravity forms mentioned as a good solution.

geoff

Okay, I guess that makes sense. But why is there NO documentation on how to do it? It seems like it is something everyone would use, so why not have a docs section "Using Forms with DMS2"? 

I'm making this up as I go, trying to learn to use DMS because I appreciate how simple it makes it to create nice designs.

But I am not a professional developer. I'm someone who has used HTML for over a decade on personal projects, and hoping to gain more capability by using DMS. I just don't understand why there isn't a simple way to "drag and drop" a "form element" into a page. Seems so basic to me. At least have documentation on how to do it. :-/

jmad

geoff

I can't fix the documentation.  But I can suggest...

Use a text box or I think even a media box would work.  Take the shortcode generated by ContactForm7 and paste it into the box.   Style as desired.  If you are on the Developer Club plan then you can use the NextBox (unstyled textbox) which should work best.  Hope that helps.

geoff

Thanks jmad. That got me close enough to figure out what I needed to do. I was looking for something like that, wouldn't have thought "media box" would be the logical place, but that's very helpful. Thank you!

Danny

Granted the documentation does need updating and I am on it. However, our documentation will never cover what you're asking. If you want to use a form on your site, then you should be using a forms plugin. I would recommend either Ninja Forms or Gravity Forms.

Please search our forums, before posting!

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?