Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gideonro

Inserting "time to read" at top of posts, pages

gideonro

I'm on WordPress 3.8.3 and on PL Framework and am trying to get a "time to read" estimate from a plugin to show up right next to the date stamp at the top of my posts and pages (I was hoping to attach an image but can't see the upload option anymore - you can see where I'm talking about though from this link http://www.the-vital-edge.com/shared-interest-graph-in-work/ - I'd want it to appear to the right of the date just under the title - for posts and pages).  

Below are the instructions from the plugin. Can someone point me to the best way to insert this? I'm low on technical skills. Thanks. 

Thank you for using this plugin. That means you wanted to have the same thing on your blog than me, to give your readers an estimate on how long they need to read your post.
An average man reads 250 - 300 words for minute, so you can change the default settings any way you like, the default here is 200 words per minute. That's pretty much it.

You can also visit the homepage for the latest updates.

To use it, add

< ?php post_read_time(); ? >to your template (where you want to output the text).

Danny

HI,

You will want to either use a hook or see if its possible to create a shortcode from that plugin. You can find more information about hooks here (even though the link is for DMS the principle is the same).

http://docs.pagelines.com/advanced/hooks

Creating a shortcode may be the best method. However, you will need to contact the developer of the plugin for assistance.

Please search our forums, before posting!

gideonro

Thanks Danny. Yeah, that just went beyond my pay grade. Sure wish there were an easy way to hire folks for small bits of work like this. Is there? It's not something I'd approach a consultant to do as it's just not enough work. I just wish you guys had some sort of service bureau or pool of folks who are willing to to take on this kind of hourly work. 

GetMeWebDesign

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!