Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

carletto0282

16 columns grid layout

carletto0282+    4
carletto0282

Hi guys,

do you think it's possible to add a switch from a 12 columns based layout to a 16 columns base one?

I think this option can give even more flexibility to the system.

Best regards

Carlo

GetMeWebDesign+    115
GetMeWebDesign

I thought Bootstrap was built on the 12 grid system? Sure DMS is built around Bootstrap....

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

carletto0282, dms/dms/less/variables.less has a @gridColumns LESS variable, which is set to 12. Technically, it could be changed via child theme style.less. However, the DMS Editor's JS and the default LESS has some hard-coding based on a 12-column grid. As such, the answer is effectively "no, it cannot be changed from a 12 column grid."

GetMeWebDesign, yes, PageLines Framework incorporated many aspects of Bootstrap 2, as does DMS. However, it's not "straight Bootstrap," if you will.

• Like 1

GetMeWebDesign+    115
GetMeWebDesign

Clifford P. Thanks... I thought it was closer than that. Re 12 vs 16... I suppose it is because 12 is a wonderful number (making imperial measurements more flexible than metric). For symmetry, 12 offers an additional variable... 1,2,3,4,6,12, whereas 16 has 1,2,4,8,16.

I know this is an odd question, but what would you need more flexibility for, or is it simply the 2 x 8 vs 2 x 6? 

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

I haven't personally experienced a need for any other number of grid columns. I was just helping answer the question. :-)

Danny    1,327
Danny

Twelve is the best number in my opinion, reason being it's the highest number with one syllable. Both PageLines Framework and DMS use a heavily customized version of Bootstrap. Also, what purpose would you like a sixteen column layout, as far as I can tell, you can pretty much create any kind of layout you like with a twelve column layout.

• Like 1

Please search our forums, before posting!

carletto0282+    4
carletto0282

Hi guys, thank you for your support.

I was curious about this choice... nothing more.

Thanks anyway!

Carlo

Danny    1,327
Danny

No problem.

Please search our forums, before posting!

• Similar Content

• DonRicardoRVM
      By DonRicardoRVM+
        First of all, sorry for my bad English.  I am developing an ecommeece with wp, woocommerce, PL5 and quickshop, and I need to do some changes in the simple product grid. I want to change the classes of some divs, but I can't find the templates. 
      Also, I change the grid of the category products pages, but I didn't make it correctly.
      This is the cat archive's: http://globosdemar.com/wp/categoria-producto/camisetas-para-ninos-y-ninas/
      Can you help me?
    • dbrowne02
      By dbrowne02+
      Hi, I am trying to figure out how to create columns where the text flows into the next column, like the attached, and am flummoxed. Does anyone have any ideas? 

• Anthony King
      By Anthony King+
      I have to say that I like the Layout and the Template based sections. Some of them are really impressive.
      One of the things that I would like to request though is the possibility of being able to dynamically rearrange the layout.
      An example of what I am talking about is take the Agency Section. It's current layout starts with the
      Splash Module then the Portfolio Module then the Service Module and so on and so forth.
      What would be great is if we were able to move these modules around. I.e have the Service Module first
      then maybe the Splash, and then the portfolio.

• Queue-it
      By Queue-it+
      Hi,
      Is is possible to have different layouts for different Post categories? We have Blog posts, News posts and Case studies that all are posts, but is it possible to differentiate their layouts?
      So far when I change a post layout it affects all Post type pages. Could it be done somehow with creating a separate template? 
      Examples below
      https://queue-it.com/news/
      https://queue-it.com/blog/

• huskers2011
      By huskers2011+
      Although my layout in edit view is correct, when I look at the page the layout is wrong. I have moved the sections around and the layout remains the same when I view it. Im using 
       PageLines Platform 5 - v5.0.162 running a Pageline theme &  Wordpress version 4.6.1
      The page is http://kwamedawes.com/speak-from-here-to-there-the-dialogue/ the section order is incorrect. and
      http://kwamedawes.com/speak-from-here-to-there-the-poems/ top section is laid out like the bottom section, but displays as shown.

Thanks for any help.
      Lorna