Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Olly

A Question about Templates in DMS2

Olly

I have been struggling with Templates in DMS2.

I have a Template that includes a content area, media box, a text box, and a sidebar. There are some sections in the Template where I want a Sections content to be locked across all the pages that use that Template, whereas there are other Sections where I want the section/position/size to be locked but let its content change from page to page.

For example, take a look at this page here: http://www.maryqueenofscots.net/people/james-douglas-4th-earl-morton/

This page uses a template called 'People Bios' that I plan to use across several pages.

The circular image on the left is done with a Mediabox and the contents will change from page to page.

The ad banner in the top right also uses a media box but for this the position/size and its contents will remain locked to the template.

The problem at the moment is that when I make changes to the template, all the pages that use it are having the circular image and the text box below it containing the persons metadata overwritten by the content from the Template. This is obviously really annoying since it means I have to go back and re-input everything again by hand for each page.

Is there anyway to control this?

GetMeWebDesign

I think the answer to what you are asking (though not entirely sure what you are asking), but those that you want to be global to that template need to be in a custom saved section (ie that contain the textbox etc that you want to be global for the template). However, I am not sure that is possible as the text/image you want to change is part of you canvas. Drop that ad banner into you sidebar (make it a specific side bar for that page template People Bios). Then that will be global for that template.

If the book ad at the bottom is global either for that template or anywhere else then that can be saved as a custom section

After that, every time you open that template and want to change the text, then unlock, make content changes and then but dont 'assign' a template... will save alright! Alternatively, to be safe, you can assign a new template to that specific page

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?