Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sidianmsjones

How to access 'local' options for sections?

sidianmsjones

Site: http://alchemystvapes.com/

I'm using WooCommerce and have a handful of product pages which I need to have text boxes in that change per product. I need to be able to use the DMS text box section for it.

Normally I would assume that I could just choose the old "local" options for the text box, but those are no longer present in DMS 2 it seems. Did they move? What am I missing?

James B

Hi there, they type and local settings that were in DMS V1 are no longer in DMS 2.

You can use the unlock template feature to make local changes on pages so they don't effect the rest of the pages on that template.

http://screencast.com/t/PFkUgQgMPpo

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

Kedark

hello,

I need the same template on different pages have different pictures, graphics, etc. The ideal solution was to date local option, which unfortunately does not will. I do not want to create templates for example, 100 pages in which you just need to have other images. So how do we deal with this problem?

There is an option to block, unblock template, but how can you turn it on / off, how does it work?

Regards
KedarK

and if your post code in dms only do I see?

GetMeWebDesign

Kedark"] If you have sections that need to be global for that template you are using, then save that as a custom section. In that way, any changes you make to that custom section will replicate wherever that custom section is in place on your website. otherwise follow @[member="James B advice. The template look will remain, it just will no longer have a "template" associated with it... so in effect you are saving a page and NOT a template. If that makes sense?

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

Kedark

I'm sorry but I have a problem, or templates is unlock or not ... changing pictures in revslider and mediabox, changing the whole template. Is there documentation somewhere that could help me? Anything. częstko because I use the same template and various graphics, pictures on the pages.

Thanks in advance for your help ...

K.

Kedark

Kedark"] If you have sections that need to be global for that template you are using, then save that as a custom section. In that way, any changes you make to that custom section will replicate wherever that custom section is in place on your website. otherwise follow @[member="James B advice. The template look will remain, it just will no longer have a "template" associated with it... so in effect you are saving a page and NOT a template. If that makes sense?

Hi, thanks for your reply,

I need to apply a template, place the pieces on the site, eg revslider, mediabox etc. but on each side of the template to insert other images. So far (in framework and DMS 1.x) the case was simple and referred to the option - local. The DMS 2 is an unlock templates, I tried several ways, and if it is unlock or not, changing the photo - it varies throughout the template ...

Do Not know if this is understandable, but I would achieve what the earlier systems gave opion-local and has been replaced by something here so I can not really cope. (there is also no point creating templates, because they would then hundreds) ...

Regards
Kedark

GetMeWebDesign

Within each canvas area, I presume you are saying you have a mixture of global and local?

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

GetMeWebDesign

I'm sorry but I have a problem, or templates is unlock or not ... changing pictures in revslider and mediabox, changing the whole template. Is there documentation somewhere that could help me? Anything. częstko because I use the same template and various graphics, pictures on the pages.

Thanks in advance for your help ...

K.

[attachment=2110:Unlock a template.jpg] - Unlocking a template

Kedark

attachicon.gifUnlock a template.jpg - Unlocking a template

I tried on a template, open the page, upload a custom template, it is unlock, change pictures, please press publish - changes on each page in the template,
otherwise, open, unlock is, I change, I turn unlock, publish and doing the same thing .. I do not know how to approach this, but I have tried various options, a little "to feel" ...

at you does it work? How are you doing ..?

K.

GetMeWebDesign

Kedark Please excuse the look of what I knocked up for you, but hope you appreciate I have no idea what your site looks like, but this might show you how you can edit locally and globally...

DMS Global vs Local

To add those sidebars in the widgetized section, you are going to need to be able to add more sidebars with this Custom Sidebars plugin

Kedark

Thank you very much for the tip ... I'll try to deal with it ... I hope it will work ...

Regards
KedarK

Kedark

This works great on the sides .... just a pity it does not work on ads ... often gave different graphics eg mediabox in entries ... or is it somehow ...?

I tested it with revslider and mediabox .. untouchable ... and this part of wordpress does not work ... (entry) although it should .. I guess ...

I had a template entry - in which interceded photo revslider, mediabox and text, each entry had to be different - with the result but that it can not be ...

In any case, thank you very much for your help .. at least I know what can and what can not be .. not unless someone knows a way ...

Regards
Kedark

GetMeWebDesign

Why wont it work for ads? Surely you can add the html to the text option in the widgets and it will add? I just tested by adding some paypal.

Revslider is a full width section so you can custom save that section if it is to be applied in various places (you do know how to do that?). Yet if you are changing it on every page, it isnt a problem if you follow the Use template > Unlock > edit revslider > publish.

Or am I not understanding you?

ssgro66

Thanks for the video. Following that seems to work. I still fear this is going to bite me in the end if I ever want to go back and change a series of pages (at once) that were once locked to a template.

The short question is, when you unlock a page from a template are you cutting all ties to that template for good? Read on if you like but this is the question I am ultimately asking.

Am I understanding this correctly? Once you unlock a page from a template, that page is no longer linked to the template at all? So if you ever wanted to go back and rearrangeadd, or remove elements on a series of pages that were once linked to a template, you cannot do it by modifying one of the now-unlocked pages and then selecting "Update template with Current Configuration". It seems as though that would only update the template since pages that were once based on that template are no longer associated with it. Unless I'm missing something (which won't be the first time), doesn't that render the entire template process as linear and destructive?  If this is not a true statement then I believe the confusion is with the terminology being used. When I see the words "lock / unlock" with regards to templates, I am thinking "associate / disassociate" or "link / unlink" respectively.

GetMeWebDesign

ssgro66 That is my understanding, too. It would be possible to change the "template" and then visit the other template clone pages (no longer associated) and load the new template > unlock > edit > publish. The only problem with that, is having to copy content etc elsewhere as you would lose the original "unique" content, when loading the "new" template

Brian

Hey guys, has anyone figured out how to add/adjust different sections to post/product pages without having it become global? Unlocking templates on a post/product page does not work.

GetMeWebDesign

Brennum. It does work (or should). Are any of those sections (or canvases ) saved as custom? When you unlock a page all the features etc should now have the "linked to 'xyz' template" removed. Check your canvases do not have a padlock in the editing nav bar. I presume you are not going to Page Setup > Template name > Update this template with current configuration?

Brian

GetMeWebDesign. Thanks for your response. So everything of course works fine on pages, but post pages or product pages (woocommerce) it does not work. I actually don't want to use a template on a post/product page as I would like to add different sections for various post pages. Whenever I try adding a section it makes it global. There's no padlock at the top on these post pages either and it's still not working.

GetMeWebDesign

Brennum This may not be a solution, but if you never specify a template (as far as I know) it will use a global default. Hence any sections will be "global default". Not au fait with woo commerce (if you are developing ecommerce, I would strongly recommend looking at Prestashop... best open source out there). My guess would be assign a template and then unlock for post/product pages. In that way the page with be saved but uniquely. If you want to have some semi-globallocal sections in there then save them as custom sections and add to requisite unlocked pages... if that makes sense?

Brian

GetMeWebDesign. Unfortunately assigning a new template for a post/product page and then unlocking it to add different sections locally to that specific post doesn't work. I'm pretty certain it is a hard coding difference between DMS1 vs DMS2. Not being able to truly customize post pages is a real step backwards with DMS2, and I actually love this version aside from this major issue. It just means you can't really take full advantage of the strength of individual page design. Hopefully this can be solved on the PL end.

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?