Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

williamweber

Remove author avatar and karma link in DMS2 WP Content Loop

williamweber

My understanding is that this can be done with some custom styling. Could someone help me with the correct styling code to do this? 

I like the new post loop format of the posts themselves: the read more link, the different styles for different post types, etc; and you lose all of the those things by using the legacy mode. I would rather just have my meta data for the posts under the post title and not show an avatar.

Thank you in advance for any assistance. 

GetMeWebDesign
Add this into your Custom LESS/CSS

.pl-new-loop .metahead {
  display: none;
}

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

williamweber

Thank you. That almost does it. But the space is still being used by the now invisible section. I want the content to fill the whole area.

I continue to reel at how horribly this particular section was implemented in DMS2. It boggles my mind.

Danny

William what is you want to do, remove the Author Avatar and Karma link ? If so, why not enable the legacy options in the PostLoop section and use a different mode from Avatar Mode.

Please search our forums, before posting!

williamweber

As I mentioned, I like the support for post formats with the new post loop, but you lose that if you switch back to the legacy mode. So what you're saying is that I can either use one and only one post loop format that supports post formats, or I can just use the legacy mode which is going to be depreciated anyway. 

I was under the impression that the new post loop could be easily modified by CSS. Now, leaving aside the fact that modifying a ton of CSS completely defeats the purpose of a drag and drop framework, even the CSS that I can apply to modify things apparently doesn't really help. Doing a "display:none" on elements is undesirable because then the layout is all messed up by weird invisible stuff. 

Danny

As far as I am aware the new PostLoop is going to be expanded with new functionality and features/options and so forth in the near future, for club members. So I can bring the ability to remove the avatar and karma link as a future checkbox option. At the moment, the only way to remove them would be using CSS, as I don't think there is a filter for both of them.

If you provide a screenshot of what is your desired layout, I will see what I can do.

Please search our forums, before posting!

tonikcollective
i'm unable to add the CSS?  It keep on disappearing in the Custom LESS/CSS section.  The original CSS keeps (as I've had with DMS1) remains unchanged.

GetMeWebDesign

tonikcollective Have you saved it in the DMS CSS fall-back in the wp-admin? Is it showing there?

I have also had a nightmare saving in custom CSS/LESS ... but have now just made sure every page etc has a template assigned and that has done it for me. No idea why that would cause an issue but it worked

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

williamweber

I guess I'm just looking to have the post excerpt use the full width of the column. When I do a display:none on the metahead like GetMeWebDesign suggested it now appears that the post except is indented the same distance as if that section were still there. If you could help with that it would be great.

As far as I am aware the new PostLoop is going to be expanded with new functionality and features/options and so forth in the near future, for club members. So I can bring the ability to remove the avatar and karma link as a future checkbox option. At the moment, the only way to remove them would be using CSS, as I don't think there is a filter for both of them.

If you provide a screenshot of what is your desired layout, I will see what I can do.

In a related matter, something you said there concerns me: You say "club members." That's the $130 upfront + $20 a month tier on the new pricing scheme, if I'm not mistaken. That seems to imply that as someone who purchased a PageLines sub just a few weeks ago (prior to the pricing change) I won't see these updates because my "Personal" plan from the old pricing scheme doesn't give me access to the new Club. 

If accurate, that's rather...disappointing, to put it in family friendly terms.

GetMeWebDesign

williamweber. LOL I was thinking the same.... here it is:

.pl-new-loop .hentry.post, .pl-new-loop .hentry.multi-post {
  padding-left: 0px;
}

I make sure that you post that code into the pagelines fallback in the wp admin, as the DMS didnt like me saving it to the page.

Alternatively, you could create a custom style and reference it in Custom Styling classes under Standard Options on the page

williamweber

GetMeWebDesign thank you. That did it.

It seemed to work for me just plopping into the Custom LESS/CSS box in the DMS front end which also seemed to save correctly to the fallback (I'm guessing they are same thing). Which is good. I wanted to avoid using inline styles or even styling classes because I wanted it to look that way for all post loops (categories, searches, archives, etc.)

Again, thanks for the help.

hansonexperience

Strange. On my testserver on localhost it works but when putting the code on my live server http;//www.hansonexperience.com it does not work.

The code is in (both Less fall back as DMS less box) but I cannot see that avatar is removed.

GetMeWebDesign

hansonexperience Just checked the live server with Chrome Developer tools and that code does work. Have you cleared your cache?

hansonexperience

It does not work with chrome as I am working in that right now. Did clear the cache. But will do it again.