Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

williamweber

What happened to the options for WP Content/Loop

williamweber

I'm really confused. In DMS2 there are zero options for the WP Content/Loop section. Avatar images on my page have shifted oddly for some reason. I have no option to turn off Thumbnails. What happened?

The post loop is the core of Wordpress. How is that you take options away from the blog content section of a blog template framework?

Pagelines is supposed to be a drag and drop framework. But am I do understand that in order to actually display the CONTENT OF A BLOG and the metadata surrounding each post in any way but the default I need to hack in custom CSS? How is that drag and drop?

WHAT IS GOING ON?!

greenfly

Hello @williamweber 

The postloop options are not being taken away completely as you may think. 

The legacy options point to options that were in Place in DMS 1.x release and the message that these are to be removed in future points to the ability to add legacy options as they are now. 

There will be functionality released going forward that will add options to the postLoop. Please let us know how you see the options working best for you? 

For now some functionality can only be provided by using Custom CSS and we can help with this for you. 

Updates, bug fixes and new features are being released and worked on constantly so what is not there today might be introduced going forward. 

Again, we would love to hear the essential options as you see them and we will feed these back to the Core dev team. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

williamweber

Ideally, I would like to be able easily control these things:

• metadata placement (top or left for individual items) 
  • Excerpt vs. Full post
  • Post layout
  • Thumbnail (need to be able to remove as well)
  • Sharing links (I would like to be able to optionally add them after each post in a list)

Most of those are just straight copies of functionality that was already present in DMS1. Controlling metadata placement on a per-item basis is a nice to have but at the very least I should be able to easily select which metadata items to include and the placement of ALL metadata.

I understand that there will be new features and updates to the framework. I'm just very disappointed that it seems the development team chose to spend their time on flashy gimmicks and completely ignored the manipulation of actual content. I'm not a web-developer. I'm a writer. I chose Pagelines because it allowed me to format my site the way I wanted without needing to be an experienced CSS coder. But now, in order to format THE MOST FUNDAMENTAL part of my site - the posts - I need to use something that is going to be depreciated or I need to hack CSS.

I'm absolutely dumbfounded.

greenfly

Thanks @williamweber 

i am feeding all this back to the dev team. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

mrmiyamoto

Ideally, I would like to be able easily control these things:

• metadata placement (top or left for individual items) 
  • Excerpt vs. Full post
  • Post layout
  • Thumbnail (need to be able to remove as well)
  • Sharing links (I would like to be able to optionally add them after each post in a list)

Most of those are just straight copies of functionality that was already present in DMS1. Controlling metadata placement on a per-item basis is a nice to have but at the very least I should be able to easily select which metadata items to include and the placement of ALL metadata.

I understand that there will be new features and updates to the framework. I'm just very disappointed that it seems the development team chose to spend their time on flashy gimmicks and completely ignored the manipulation of actual content. I'm not a web-developer. I'm a writer. I chose Pagelines because it allowed me to format my site the way I wanted without needing to be an experienced CSS coder. But now, in order to format THE MOST FUNDAMENTAL part of my site - the posts - I need to use something that is going to be depreciated or I need to hack CSS.

I'm absolutely dumbfounded.

I agree, the entire reason people would want to use a system like DMS is to not have to use arbitrary CSS classes that need to be acquired from the support forums to do simple things like removing those author avatars that mess up the blog's layout in smaller responsive sizes quite significantly.  You can always override the CSS for anything on any web platform, DMS should be about not having to do that most of the time.

Danny

Not sure what the issue is, the options are still available, under the Legacy options option ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

williamweber

I would argue that telling people to "just use this depreciated mode which doesn't work with post formats and we're getting rid of eventually" isn't the best approach. 

Danny

Well as Martin pointed out, more functionality will be released in the near future, that is why the legacy options are intact. I understand where you're coming from William and both myself and Martin have brought this to our developers attention. We appreciate the feedback.

Please search our forums, before posting!

brightonkeller

any update on the postloop options? 

jmad

I'm curious about this as well.   We are approaching a year since DMS2 was launched and no improvements to the postloop have been made.

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?