Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jane

Social Bar - Give Karma

jane

Hi,

What is the purpose of the "give karma" button? When someone clicks it what does it do? Why is it part of the social bar?

greenfly

The Karma entry in the share bar is just for illustrative purposes - to show what can be achieved with sharebar.. You can remove this if you like. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

jmad

Okay, how and where?  If we leave it does it have a function?

ipadanielle

I too would like to know how to remove the karma function. Any word on how to accomplish this?

Simon

Its been mentioned a few times now:

remove_shortcode( 'pl_karma' );
add_shortcode( 'pl_karma', '__return_false' );

With 2.0.1 using that code will stop it everywhere its used.

ipadanielle

Thanks, cant seem to get it to work. Am I supposed to put this in custom css? Also is 2.0.1 out now, i have not got an update notice

Simon

No it isnt out yet, and no PHP code is NOT css

ipadanielle

Ok, so will this code work with 2.0 and if so where do i put in the php code? Thanks for your help, I'm not coding wizz

jane

Hi  ipadanielle, perhaps this is something that goes in the Hooker Section? Hopefully someone can confirm/clarify

jmad

Seems like maybe this should just be taken out of DMS2 as it doesn't serve a function if it's just for illustrative purposes.  Why put your users through having to create a child theme just to not use an illustrative feature?

Am I missing something?

Thinking about this more.  Why include an illustrative feature that is in an area to prompt users to click...a click to nowhere?  Please help us understand this.

ipadanielle
Jane,

Oh I think your right, I'll try putting the code in the hooker section tomorrow. I'm still trying to find my way around the dms2, forgot about the hooks. Once I give it a go I'll update. Thanks for the tip!

Simon

You put the code in a child theme functions.php file.

Sections like rapidtabs use karma to sort your posts.

jmad

Okay so Karma is basically a "like" button that only impacts the site from the perspective of popular posts.  I suppose it also means if a user isn't signed into any social media account then they can still "like" your post/page.   Oddly Karma is the only social icon that has a hover tooltip.  

Is there a way to use CSS to change the tooltip to "like" or something different than Karma?  How about tooltips to the other items (most users know what they are of course but it just seems inconsistent.  These are share not like buttons (I guess the "social links" component is for liking social media pages?).  

Can we get Google+ added to the ShareBar?

Is there anyway to hide the Karma from ShareBar without setting up a child theme?

Simon

I added a tooltip to the other items there.

Yes you can add the snippet of css anywhere you like.. be it a child theme, a plugin, mu-plugin wherever you like.

jmad

Simon_P

Yes you can add the snippet of css anywhere you like.. be it a child theme, a plugin, mu-plugin wherever you like.

Sorry, I didn't follow your response.  Which question was this answering?

Simon

Is there anyway to hide the Karma from ShareBar without setting up a child theme?

Oddly Karma is the only social icon that has a hover tooltip.

jane

...I think it would be more useful to replace this with something like an "email this" button or some other social media buttons

corykbarros

First off, I know one of you guys is gonna tell me to post a new topic. But this is the worst designed site ever. I don't know where the damn post new thread button is. 

Now my question. I have set my front page to static. But not really knowing how to find this out, I changed it to a new static home page. So now I lost all of my original social likes. Which was a pretty good number. Is there any way to get it back? Just to note, I thought it was directed to the homepage, not the page I set as the static page. Any help?