Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

glennyboy

Canvas Areas Background Images are always the same on each page

glennyboy

Hi

Canvas images are always the same on different pages that use the same template. It was my understanding from the logic of a 'template' that the layout / components would follow, but that you could customise each area on a page by page basis.  I have a canvas section at the top of each page and want to be able to show a different image on each page, but in changing the image on one page it reflects to each and every page that use the same template. This means that to make even slight alterations across pages I need to create a new template for that page which is rediculous.

Given my early issues with templates cross corrupting with classes that are the same and also finding out things like this I envisage that this is going to be a major negative with DMS 2.

Regards

Glennyboy

greenfly

Could you screenshot the page as you see it where you are making the changes to the Canvas background please?

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

glennyboy

Pretty sure there is only one place it can be set?

Unfortunately the upload is not working of me:-

Error This upload failed

greenfly

Please could you try adding it to http://imgur.com or similar and pasting the link for me 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

greenfly

Looking at your screenshot, something is not quite right. The empty white boxes should have the refresh to view changes button in them or the 'x' to remove the background image. 

http://screencast.com/t/EZTeLm99IflV

I have set a  background image to a canvas area and then added canvas area to another part of the template or page and the background isn't being pulled automatically into the new canvas area, 

http://screencast.com/t/63f3fgTr

Could you create an admin logon for your site and send us the credentials to hello at pagelines dot com and we can take a look for you. 

glennyboy

Sure I will do that, although the reason I think it doesn't look right is that my own stylesheet is overriding that of DMS as the class specificity on DMS 2 are weaker than the previous version. the buttons are there, just whited out.... 

greenfly

in what way do you mean weaker? 

I will look out for your credentials 

glennyboy

UPDATE

Tried this on a fresh test site with new template and the problem is replicated cross pages/templates. Canvas backgrounds and content appear to directly mirror that of applied page template meaning that every page is exactly the same on each template version. This extends to other sections/elements (quite possibly all) Not hood from my tests. Note as per a previous post I also found this was manifested in components with the same 'class' changing content on different templates / unrelated templates. The latter destroying a previously built site.

Simon
So let me get a handle on this, you are applying a template to multiple pages and adding an image to the canvas area in that template and the same image is in every page canvas area using that template right?

glennyboy

Correct. If the purpose of templates is to identikit what is the point of templates - surely you need to customise the element/content on the templates or otherwise all pages on the same 'template' are absolutely identical. I would like to use a 'template', or building block as I see it, to have the same layout and components but to customise each component to fit the respective page content/styling. Pretty sure that is the logic of templates.

Simon
Well if you add a canvas area to a template, it is going to be on every page you use that template on, thats the point of a template.

If you want a different canvas area background on one page, then either use a different template, you click 'unlock' and change the background on that page.

Template settings populate to every page/post that use that template, this is what everybody asked for in 1.x

glennyboy

That is very disappointing as far as I'm concerned. the lack of ability to customise a page on the same template is not desirable in any way, nor is it my understanding of a web/wordpress 'template'. Absolutely none of 'theme's i have used in the past insist on every templates page being identical in every detail - they are actually more flexible than DMS. 

It seems that to have a page follow the same structure, but have just a simple element change like a different background image that I need to create multiple templates - that frankly is nonsensical.The way this should be is that an element is the same unless it is customised.

This really needs to be escalated and addressed as DMS is supposed to offer flexibility but currently does not.

Danny

Glenn, what is it you want exactly ?

Do you want to have the ability that is currently in DMS 2.0, but with the addition of being able to customize those templates to suit your pages setup ?

Meaning, lets say you have a template called Awesome, on that section you have a Masthead saying Welcome to my Awesome Page. Then you want to assign that Awesome template to another page called Sauce and then change the Masthead settings to being something else ?

Is that correct? So you want to have a combination of both the way templates worked in DMS 1.x and 2.x ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?