Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KimAnn03

DMS2 losing settings for footer and primary nav bar when editing CSS

KimAnn03

Hi guys- there's a glitch in DMS2 happening. Every time i go to save my custom CSS I lose the settings for my fixed nav bar and my footer. Even though I saved thoroughly before updating the CSS. Have you noticed this?

Danny

Hi,

I haven't noticed this personally, what CSS or LESS CSS are you adding ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

roryorr

Hey guys,

I'm having the same problem, header and footer resetting to default DMS after editing CSS, plus losing entire sections from both the content and also the saved sections area.

Any fixes for this??

Danny

KimAnn03

roryorr

Can you provide a link to the sites in question and also, make sure DMS Debug mode is active please.

Also, can you disable all active plugins and see if this resolves your issue please.

roryorr

Hi Danny,

Sorry for the delay, I was busy rebuilding the site. Tried deactivating all plugins, didn't help. After creating and saving lots of custom sections and configuring the header and footer plus adding some DMS sections, some code was added to the style.css for gravity forms plugin and it wiped the sections from both the site and also saved sections so I couldn't reload them, and also reset the header and footer back to the DMS default. Very strange bug!

Hope that can help shed some light on it for you guys.

Danny

What custom sections are you referring to ones you have created yourself or ones created via the Canvas section ?

When you say you added code the style.css file, are you saying you added this code to the DMS main style.css file or to a child themes style.css file ?

Can you provide a link to the site in question and make sure DMS debug mode is active please.

roryorr

Hi Danny,

I'm referring to saved sections, they keep getting wiped for some reason. Here's the link to the site: http://thisisaustralia-com.cloud.hosting-toolkit.net/

I've just finished rebuilding a bunch of pages again as the header and footer reset itself and for some reason deleted all my saved sections again. Have you guys got a fix for this yet? It's really wasting a lot of time!

Originally code was added to the style.css in the WordPress editor which caused a massive issue. This last time there was no additional code added and the header, footer, and saved sections all reset back to the default DMS theme.

Obviously there's still compatibility issues with WordPress CMS, if you could shed some light on this it'd be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!!
Rory

batman

HI roryorr

If you need add some CSS code you can use a Child Theme

I use for this a Danny´s Child Theme, this works fine to me in all update.

https://github.com/Dannyholt/skeleton

You can install the .zip like a theme in your dashboard > themes > upload

and the copy/paste yours CSS rules in the style.css

http://screencast.com/t/sZXzimY7x

I use the Child because I read this after update the theme

Please Note: Any customizations you have made to theme files will be lost. Please consider using child themes for modifications.

You can see the image

http://screencast.com/t/FeFQEG1Qav

If you need to modify a section, you can copy this to your child

For example

wp-contents > theme > YOUR CHILD THEME > sections > YOUR SECTION TO MODIFY

Please, you take a look to this

http://docs.pagelines.com/customize/base-child-theme

Life is too short to remove USB safely ...

Danny

We are going to need to have more information as I am simply not able to recreate your issue. Can you please update to the latest version of DMS (perform a backup as a precaution before hand) and see if this resolves your issue.

If it doesn't then the issue has to be either plugin or server related. Therefore, can you provide a link to the site in question as well as making sure DMS debug mode is enabled ~ DMS Toolbar > Site Settings > Advanced.

jane

^^ batman In reference to this:"Please Note: Any customizations you have made to theme files will be lost. Please consider using child themes for modifications."

...does this mean to say that every time a  theme gets updated that you should expect all of your custom css is disappear? It hasn't happened this way for me before with updates but with the latest update, all my custom css disappear as did all of my custom sections.

KimAnn03

Please Note: Any customizations you have made to theme files will be lost. Please consider using child themes for modifications.

Does this mean all the theme settings will be lost. Like the DMS specific sitewide settings, sections, templates, etc will this all be lost? I have to be honest, I am really tired of recreating our site to get the DMS theme settings back after upgrades. It seems way to easy to lose these settings.

Also- Can somebody explain to me how a child theme helps because if you put, let's say, your functions.php file in your child theme with customizations, then edits are made to the parent theme functions.php during an upgrade, how then do you get the parent theme upgrades AND the child theme customizations to both be called? For me, I'm afraid to install a child theme for this reason because I am not sure how to handle this scenario.

Kim

Danny

What that statement is referring to is theme files i.e. files and not options or CSS you have added to the CSS/LESS editor in DMS.

KimAnn03

Danny thanks for the clarification. I upgraded on my dev site and the upgrade went smooth. BUT then I edited the functions.php file (just needed to add a line of code) and it actually stripped all the DMS theme options, CSS, etc. I am afraid to now make the change on my live site, any advice?

Also, still would really love some insight on this:

Can somebody explain to me how a child theme helps because if you put, let's say, your functions.php file in your child theme with customizations, then edits are made to the parent theme functions.php during an upgrade, how then do you get the parent theme upgrades AND the child theme customizations to both be called? For me, I'm afraid to install a child theme for this reason because I am not sure how to handle this scenario.

Danny

Kim, are you saying that edited the DMS core functions.php file or are you referring to a child themes functions.php file ?

If you edited the core file, then understandably this destroyed your site, you shouldn't edit the core files in DMS, if you want to add functions, hooks etc... then you need to use a child theme. We do not recommend nor support users who have made edits to the core files including the DMS functions.php file.

In regards to your second question, the child theme inherits all the functionality of the parent theme in this case DMS. The whole purpose of a child theme is to allow you to make changes such as adding snippets of code i.e. hooks to the functions.php file, add your own styling that overrides the default styling and that this is protected from an update to the parent theme.

For more information on child themes read this from the WordPress Codex - http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

opwolken

What that statement is referring to is theme files i.e. files and not options or CSS you have added to the CSS/LESS editor in DMS.

I have had a loss of my own LESS/CSS in DMS2 on two sites now due to an update, it is really frustrating. Is this normal?

Danny

opwolken - An update can not remove your CSS or LESS, unless you edited the core files. The only way this can be caused is either by:

1. A plugin causing some kind of conflict

2. Your server configuration.

What I would recommend is you contact your host, ask them to do a restore from a previous back up and then, copy and paste all your custom CSS/LESS into a text file for safe keeping. Then disable all active plugins and run the update again and see if this causes your CSS/LESS to be stripped again. If that is the case with all plugins disabled, then the likelihood is your server is configured in such a way that it is causing this issue.

If your CSS/LESS gets stripped again, please create your own topic and provide a link to the site in question and make sure DMS debug mode is active (DMS Toolbar > Settings > Advanced).

opwolken

Danny, thanks for your reply. We will check the steps you mentioned.

Danny

opwolken - Any update to this ?

opwolken

Danny I have had the same problem with an other website, both on the same hosting, maybe that is the case. Both I believe had the same problem when updating the 2.1.2 (or 2.1.1) update with the updated navbar.

Danny

What do you mean ?

bloom1creative

Gotta say guys, all these issues that I'm reading about I'm having too and seeing too on multiple installs, I use a personal VPS and know for a fact standard WP installs are fine, so its definitely a Pagelines thing.  The updates are causing the issues for me too.

Many thanks

Rob1n

Danny

bloom1creative - If you have the latest version of DMS 2.1.8 at this moment in time and are experiencing any of these issues then the likely cause is either:

1. Plugin you have installed

2. Custom code you may have added

3. Your server.

I have literally nearly one hundred test sites and not once have I encountered sections or DMS settings being removed. Just because your WordPress installs work as intended doesn't mean the server isn't configured incorrectly.

Also, I am locking all the topics you're replying to as the topics are over 6 months old and all you're doing is spamming the original topic creator with emails informing he/she of a reply to his/her topic. If you're having issues please create your own topic.