Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jane

DMS 2 - not all strings are translated (French)

jane

Hi,

The version I had before changing over to DMS 2 (I believe 1.6.8) was 100% translated which was great! I've noticed though this version is missing the following French translations :

Add Comment, Posted, Search, Try another search? No results for "x", read more, and the 404 message

There may be more but these are the ones I noticed right away.

Is there an updated version mo file that has all of the translations available? Or perhaps would it be possible to use the older version of DMS's mo file to override this one?

Simon

We will be adding translations later on.

The french mo file has not changed, there isnt an updated one yet. There are various plugins around to create your own or make additions.

jane

OK thanks Simon_P.  Do you know approximately when the translations will be added?

I'm using Polylang for translating my site - is this one of the plugins that would be able to create my own translations?

Simon

Im not 100% sure polylang can create po/mo files, its more for making content translatable.

We will release the raw po files to the translaters, and they will translate, they are human so it'll take as long as it takes ;)

greenfly

:) 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

jane

Hi Simon_P, do you only make the po file available to your translators or can you send me the file?

jane

^...is it possible or not to get the po file?

Simon

po file is in the dms.zip

jane

^OK, thanks for pointing me in the right direction Simon_P I grabbed the files and uploaded them to the theme's language folder.

jane

po file is in the dms.zip

So I wanted to follow up on this topic because the same issue keeps coming up.

In another topic http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/34792-way-to-stop-postpins-from-showing-the-loading-and-no-more-posts-message/ I asked about hiding some untranslated content on my site.

I have the DMS po and pot files and have uploaded the mo to my languages folder however all of the elements in the dashboard (flipper, masonic gallery, etc) have strings that are not a part of that file.

As far as I can tell, I can't add source text to the pot file...it has to be there from the get-go.

In the other topic, Danny did say that phrases I wanted to translate could be translated and then he shared some code:

jQuery(this).addClass('loading').text('<?php _e('Loading...', 'pagelines');?>');

jQuery('.fetchpins a').removeClass('loading').text('<?php _e('Load More Posts', 'pagelines');?>');

...As far as a next step though, I don't know what would have to be done to  the above code to actually translate that text.

Also I don't know how to go about isolate that bit of code.

It's a bit tricky trying to create a bilingual site when all of these strings aren't all in the same pot file.

What can I do? I have to find a solution because it's important that the French site look just as polished as the English. So any advice, even if it's just a link to a tutorial for this exact issue would be great.

Thanks

James B

Hi there, to translate the strings manually you'll need to use something like PoEdit. Full details on this can be found at  http://docs.pagelines.com/advanced/translating-dms

In the other post Danny says you can't translate the jquery text, like the 'loading; text, is that what you're trying to do? He's given you some css to hide to loading text instead on that thread.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

jane

Hi James B , there must be a typo then because his response gave me the impression that I could translate the jquery text.

Ideally, yes that is what I want to do; I'd like for Flipper and Masonic Gallery (with its "sort" and "all" text) to be translatable.

I already have PoEdit and have used to to update my DMS pot file and have uploaded the mo file to my sites however, these other strings are not a part of that file.

In the case of Flipper, Danny's CSS to hide the text is very helpful however if I applied that same kind of CSS to hide the "sort" and "all" text in the Masonic Gallery, that would mean people wouldn't be able to sort through all of those posts by topic/tags which takes away from what makes the Masonic Gallery such a great feature.

So, are there any options out there for people who want to be able to translate text that aren't in the pot file? Is there perhaps a plugin that would allow me to isolate this type of text and translate it?

Thank you

Danny

What I wrote was not could, I actually said this:

All those phrases can be translated, as far as I can tell.

jQuery(this).addClass('loading').text('<?php _e('Loading...', 'pagelines');?>');

jQuery('.fetchpins a').removeClass('loading').text('<?php _e('Load More Posts', 'pagelines');?>');

The only one that can not be changed is the no more posts/pages phrase.

I am by no means an expert when it comes to translating WordPress or themes, that is why I said as far as I can tell, as I was not sure and was the reason as to why I provided the CSS hack.

Please search our forums, before posting!

jane

Thanks Danny for clarifying your statement. The CSS you provided is definitely very helpful, I'd just like to be able to edit something rather than be forced to hide it.

Danny

Yeah I understand, I will add it to the Postpins tracker as a feature enhancement on your behalf.

Please search our forums, before posting!

jane

Thanks Danny that would be great if you could bring that forward. I'm sure there are lots of people out there who would appreciate being able to translate not only postpins but flipper, masonic gallery,etc.