Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

caspersjan

White page upon updating to DMS2 - no access to site nor dashboard

caspersjan

Dear Forum team, with the new pricing scheme the two-tier forum must surely come to an end - it always felt wrong to ask questions as a free DMS user that may have already been answered in the pro forum. In fairness though you always did answer them, without ever complaining. I am grateful for that and have learned a lot in the process!

I have just purchased DMS2 and updated a site, through the dashboard. I entered the license key in the Pagelines Updater plugin and updated in the dashboard update page. It seemed to work and showed a confirmation. But when I tried to view it, the entire website disappeared - it just shows a blank page. I can't get into the dashboard either, or into wp-admin. Everything is just blank (no error message or "This page is not found" or anything).

The helpdesk people at hello@pagelines.com who I consulted (in error, it turned out, they referred me to you) suggested that "That's most likely a PHP error producing the blank page, can you enable WordPress debug mode and post the issue on the forums (...) the guys over on the forum will assist you right away! :)" 

I am not sure how to enable debug mode but a quick glance in the Wordpress CODEX suggested I set "define('WP_DEBUG', false);" to "define('WP_DEBUG', true);", which I just did. I will do this and leave the matter in your capable hands.

If you have any idea what might have caused this please let me know. Is it anything I should have done differently or should avoid when next I update a site? For the moment I dare not do anything, excited though I am about trying out DMS2 which looks great!

Yours faithfully, Jan.

Simon

Right, you need to disable all those old plugins 1st.

Crackbar is not a PageLines product.

caspersjan

Dear Simon, thank you for the swift reply. I am sure you are busy on launch day. How will I do this without access to the Dashboard? Do I delete the plugin file through FTP in wordpress/wp-content/plugins? Please let me know what to do and I'll follow your instructions.

Crackbar has caused problems with whatever was the last version of DMS I had been using, too, though not of this magnitude. Of course it worked perfectly when it was first written, but I can see that that's a long time ago. Once I regain access to the Dashboard I can disable and test everything. I do very much hope some of the other Pagelines Store-bought non-Pagelines products will work though, I have grown attached to some...

Yours faithfully, Jan.

Simon

Simply rename the crackbar folder, then go to wp-admin WordPress will disable the plugin for you when it realises the file is gone.

caspersjan

Dear Simon, what an incredible turnaround time! The renamed Crackbar plugin seems to start doing the trick. Now I am told, five times over: 

Notice: wpdb::escape is deprecated since version 3.6! Use wpdb::prepare() or esc_sql() instead. in /web/1/000/072/094/296115/htdocs/animatinghebron/wordpress/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2908

What exactly should I do there?

caspersjan

I am back in the good old Dashbord, too! Here I am told (only once!): 

Notice: has_cap was called with an argument that is deprecated since version 2.0! Usage of user levels by plugins and themes is deprecated. Use roles and capabilities instead. in/web/1/000/072/094/296115/htdocs/animatinghebron/wordpress/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3006

What if anything shall I do there? 

Simon

Disable WP_DEBUG in wp-config.php

That error is caused by a plugin using code that was deprecated in december 2005

caspersjan

Dear Simon, I had some connection problems, now the FTP worked, the debug setting is back to ('WP_DEBUG', false) again, Dashboard, Editor and all are back (after I disabled a few more plugins). Is it obvious from the debug messages which piece of deprecated code was used? In that case I'd bring that to the attention of the developers. But for now thank you very much. Could there possibly be a better way to start working with a new version than a great and reassuring helpdesk experience? Good luck, yours faithfully, Jan.

greenfly

") 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"