Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

illinimatt81

Masonic Gallery - Display more than 20?

illinimatt81

The masonic grid is really nice and I would like to use it to display the pictures of guests on my podcast and when you click on it go to the episode page. It seems it would be setup well to do this, but I can only show the last 20 and no more than that.

Two questions:

1. Can I show more than 20 somehow? CSS or otherwise?

2. Is there some option to scroll to see more? 

Don't want to lose visibility to older posts.

greenfly

if you leave the setting on 'select' does it just load all the posts?

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

Simon

if you leave the setting on 'select' does it just load all the posts?

No it will use the default then.

greenfly

No it will use the default then.

ah! thanks simon

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

illinimatt81

So no way to overcome this? 

Simon

Fortunately there is a way to override ANY option on the fly ;) you can add any number.

add_filter( 'pl_opt-masonic_total', function() { return 35; } );

illinimatt81

Fortunately there is a way to override ANY option on the fly ;) you can add any number.

Simon_P Excellent, assuming this is added to the functions.php file in either the child theme or pagelines customize plugin?

Simon

Simon_P Excellent, assuming this is added to the functions.php file in either the child theme or pagelines customize plugin?

Yea somewhere sensible ;)

illinimatt81

Yea somewhere sensible ;)

Simon_P Ok, that worked, but it seems I need to set it to something really high as it counts any posts that aren't being displayed by category. Speaking of which, how do I make it only show one post category? I set it to show posts, category and entered podcast in the meta key but it still shows everything.

I'm also seeing something strange - all dates are defaulting to August 20, 2012 (see http://screencast.com/t/12Ts5SF6u) on this section whereas they are correct on the blog post pages and elsewhere. This is causing things to appear out of order. See:  http://screencast.com/t/xSTdjWEB3P1

Any advice on making it display only category=podcast and correcting the dates? (I have it only displaying podcast manually by clicking on it in the menu) 

Danny

If you want it to display specific posts, you will need to use the Meta values via custom fields. I created 28 posts, add the Custom Field Name Awesome and Value Sauce to 25 posts, then went to the sections settings and added the values there. When I clicked published, the only posts visible were the ones that have those custom field values.

In regards to the date, not sure what is going on there, but does look like a minor bug, which I have reported.

Please search our forums, before posting!

circ2013

Thanks for posting this info.  I am looking to do the exact same things with regards to increasing the number of posts allowed and only showing certain posts.

Danny, with regards to adding custom fields, do you have a recommended way of doing this?  I know that I can add a plugin such as 'Post Meta', but was curious what you use to do this?

Thanks again,

Scott

circ2013

Hello Danny, Simon_P, or illimatt81,

I don't suppose anyone can tell me a good place to add "add_filter( 'pl_opt-masonic_total', function() { return 35; } );" so that I won't get the following error?

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_FUNCTION

I tried adding it at the top, but obviously failed.  I am definitely not a PHP guru.

Thanks,

Scott

illinimatt81

Hello Danny, Simon_P, or illimatt81,

I don't suppose anyone can tell me a good place to add "add_filter( 'pl_opt-masonic_total', function() { return 35; } );" so that I won't get the following error?

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_FUNCTION

I tried adding it at the top, but obviously failed.  I am definitely not a PHP guru.

Thanks,

Scott

Do you have the Pagelines Customize plugin? If so, you have the ability to add custom CSS or custom PHP where you could put this string.

circ2013

I don't but I will get it.  In my last attempt, I was trying to past it into the functions.php file of my Child theme.

Thanks,

Scott

illinimatt81

I don't but I will get it.  In my last attempt, I was trying to past it into the functions.php file of my Child theme.

Thanks,

Scott

It seems that would accomplish the same purpose. Are you posting it in the proper place within that file? I'm a lot more familiar with CSS than PHP so maybe PL Support could jump in

James B

If you're using a child theme paste the code Simon provided above into the functions.php of the child theme at the bottom of the functions.php.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

quintinm

Can you use the masonic section to display blog posts instead of the normal blog post loop?

GetMeWebDesign

quintinm That question doesnt make sense. What are you wanting to display. Blog posts make up the blog post loop. If there are only certain blog posts you want to display then follow Danny's advice and Meta values to filter

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

Danny

If I understand you correctly, are you saying you would like to replace the PostLoop section on your blog page with the Masonic section ? If that is the case, then unfortunately, that is not possible as it doe not support pagination. I have reported this to our tracker, as you're not the only person to suggest this.

quintinm

Thanks Danny.

The more i use the system the more i think that there are areas that could definitely be improved and expanded.

I would have thought that there would be more options built in instead of having to add on items, but i suppose there is no perfect system :-)

One area that i found yesterday that is driving me mad is the fact that the links on the site seem to be set to fade to a tint as standard.

But you cannot override it - there is no place to specify the hover color as it is set to be a tint of the link color.

Unless of course i am not seeing where to edit this other than css?

GetMeWebDesign

quintinm. The issue with the reduced opacity of the link, does raise the question of how much is DMS a theme and how much is a framework to design. It is a bit of both. There is plenty of theming there by default and with CSS it is relatively easy to change pretty well anything. If it was the perfect theme for you, then there would be little for you to design. Conversely, if there are too many options, of which many wouldnt be used regularly, it makes the script unduly heavy. This is only a personal view, but the balance is about right on DMS. It does require a reasonable knowledge of CSS if you want to make serious changes, yet is designed well enough for most to create a very good looking site with out making any Custom CSS changes. For those that are using the Framework to make a living from design, it might not be in their interests to have a one that literally anyboby could create the perfect site with no CSS knowledge at all?

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

Danny

quintinm - Of course there is no such thing as a perfect system and DMS is forever evolving because of that. We are trying with each update to take DMS to the next level with the hope of achieving as close to perfection as possible. However, this is a process and we have to carefully take into consideration all user feedback and not blindly add all user requested features via feedback, as what one user would think is an awesome addition, others may not and vice versa.

There will never be an option to style every single element or element state, as this will take DMS to the bloatsphere and will definitely cause confusion amongst our users i.e. what does this option do, what does that option do and so forth.

There are and always will in my opinion, some styling changes that will require come aspect of custom CSS/LESS such as the way your links are handled. There are already options to change the color, but not every state of that links color.

When you say changes to a tint, can you provide an example please and also inform us what it is you would like to change, as we may be able to assist you. However, this topic has become derailed, therefore, please create a new topic regarding this issue.

napait

Has anyone got a correct answer to this problem? Looking to have the masonic gallery show more then 20 posts, like 1000 if that will work.

Thanks

dario

Simon, et al,

Is there a way to target this?

I mean, what if there's more than one Masonic section on the site and you want only one of them to show all (35)?

dario
My reasoning is that I want a masonry gallery which only allows 2 posts on one page and another gallery which follows the standard options for the section.