Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

illinimatt81

DMS2 Page Templates Bug [VIDEO]

illinimatt81

Hi Pagelines Team,

I believe I have identified a bug with the DMS2 templates. Please see the video: http://www.screencast.com/t/pHSwDxvUZPL8

I made a copy of a DMS 1.1.8 site and brought it to an unused live domain I have and installed DMS2. As you can see in the video, there is strange behavior with the templates.

Appreciate your thoughts on what might be causing this. It seems to be replicating on any page that had a template assigned in DMS 1.x. I've already tried deleting all templates and starting them over but no luck. No templates are selected in the drop down in the wordpress editor either.

I have even tried deleting all templates in DMS 1.1.8, upgrading to 2.0 and still the same issues.

Danny

Hi,

The links you're clicking on what are they, are they pages, posts or categories ? The video is rather poor quality so I can't actually see what you're trying to show us.

Please search our forums, before posting!

illinimatt81

Hi Danny

They are pages. I essentially created a look I liked in DMS 1.x and then made it a template (ex. Module 1 Course Page) and I then would then make an exact copy of that page by duplicating it within WP and changing out the post loop content and the header bar I created that is part of the template and not in the actual header section of DMS. I have a text box in there where I change the code as you saw. I repeated this for all the Module 1 courses, then followed the same process for the module 2 courses and so on.

I did different flavors of this for pages that looked alike as a starting point.

I have another site where I only have a couple of templates and much fewer pages and I am seeing the same issues. I wonder if there is some issue from having created it in DMS 1.x. The templates created and applied to a page there are not fully carrying over to DMS2 and within DMS2 somehow things are still linking together, even when pages are unlocked.

illinimatt81

Let me propose something else. Maybe I am not grasping the templates. It seems that even a template of 'None' is going to inheirt the specific elements on any page without a template. In my example, since I am using a textbox on a page with the template of none, it is going to replicate on any other page with that template automatically. If I want to create any components that have a mix of post loop content and other elements, I am going to need to create a new template for each individual page and in turn have hundreds of templates - each page with its own in order to have unique content in each element even though the look/feel is the same.

illinimatt81

Ok, I think my post directly above is correct and is one solution.

The other is maybe the PL team has thought about this scenario and added the 'full page header' section for this purpose. As long as I add the HTML code to the page title in the WP editor to format it as I want it to appear I can make a template with the page header section and let the post loop dynamically drive the header creation.

It seems that EVERY page must have a template that is truly unique or a template on which to be based on in DMS2, whereas in DMS1 you could create a look and then keep it individual to that page.

Am I on the right track? I've spent hours on this.

GetMeWebDesign

illinimatt81

"It seems that EVERY page must have a template that is truly unique or a template on which to be based on in DMS2, whereas in DMS1 you could create a look and then keep it individual to that page."

Not strictly true. You can creat a template (lets call it Example) and save it. Then unlock it, when you use it for a new page, so that any changes to sections or content does not become global for the 'Example' template. When you unlock a template, dms will reload but the template will now be described as None, rather than Example. It will look and feel the same as the Example template, but you can now make local changes to text, images, as well as adding sections or removing them. 

Refresh to preview or click publish. Although the template is described as 'None', it is in effect the same as example except you have edited the content (a bit like a blog post)

However, if you then wanted to use this set up elsewhere (ie you have designed a template you now think you would want to use elsewhere) then save it with a new name "Example 2" and mention in the template description any differences from the default "Added iCallout and masonic gallery" etc

DO NOTunder any circumstances, unless you want these changes to happen to your Example, or another template,  click on either of a template's "actions" - "Set Page as Global Default" or "Update Template with current configuration". There is no going back after that and you may end up losing all settings and content you had loaded for the template that you previously created.

For that reason alone, it may be worth setting a template for each page

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

amos

I am having the same issue.  I updated a site to DMS 2 and anything I type on one template shows up in other templates instead of staying in the template that I am editing.

So no matter what template I update, it alters unrelated templates.  I have read a few time to "unlock" the link to the template.  I don't think I should have to do this for the problem I am experiencing, but how do you do that?

Also, while the DMS editor at the bottom shows which template is active, the banner at the top says "custom (no template)" when in DMS 1 it would show me the active template above.

I am also reading that the whole way of using the templates and the basic definitions are now different. This is very frustrating.  I used Framework and loved it.  DMS 1 and 2 seems to be an absolute mess to work with.  The interface itself is presenting so many problems as to distract focus from the actual web building.

Danny

illinimatt81,

OK, the way it works is like this:

Lets say you have two pages called Apples and Oranges. Then you create a template on the Apples page, with your preferred layout, lets say with the following:

A Fixed Navigation <== Fixed Template Area

A Masthead Section <== Header Template Area

A HighLight Section <== Template Area

A WP-Content/PostLoop Section <== Template Area

And something in the Footer.

Now, in the Highlight section you write the following: "This is a page about Apples!" and save the template and call it Fruit Template. You then go to the Orange page and want to use the Fruit Template, load it so that its now assigned to the Oranges page. When the page refreshes you see that the Highlight Section says the following: "This is a page about Apples!", obviously you don't want it to say Apples, but instead Oranges.

Now if you were to directly edit that section and replace the word Apples with Oranges, and then publish these changes it will impact the Apples page, which will now say Oranges. So in-order to get around this, you will need to unlock the template before replacing the word Apples with Oranges. This goes for all sections, this basically means that the template is based off of the template you choose, but is no longer linked to it.

So the idea behind the unlock is, you first create your perfect template with the layout you want i.e. sections in place etc.. and when you come to assign it to another page, where you require different settings for sections or a change in the wording on a particular section, then you unlock it first and then proceed with your changes. So you do not require a different template for all your pages, just create your layouts how you like and then unlock it when required.

So I hope this explanation is helpful and if you have any feedback on how you think this system can be improved, please reply here and I will make sure our developers are informed of your feedback. One user, suggested that the Local and Global be re-introduced from DMS 1.x so that there is a combination of both local/global and how DMS 2.x works.

amos,

I understand exactly how you feel. When I first beta tested DMS about a year and bit ago, I was like what the hell. I too thought I don't think this is better than PageLines Framework. However, when you get used to the system and it does take sometime, especially coming from working with PageLines Framework for so long. You will come to realised how much superior DMS really is.

Like I mentioned above to illinimatt81, if you have any ideas on how DMS can be improved, please let us know. We are always looking on how to improve DMS and any feedback is appreciated.

amos

Danny I agree the global/ local function should be reintroduced.  It seems counter-productive to create templates only to break them, but I will assume there was a reason this was explored.

But in addition, the template function is simply not working correctly to begin and am experiencing what illinimatt81 was trying to convey. I have 5 differently named templates and if I update content in any one of them, the other templates are affected when they should not be. (This is in the main content area, not headers or footers)  I had to simply unlink all of my pages and abandon the template function altogether.  

This was a site created in the original DMS theme and then updated to DMS 2 so I am not sure if a clean build would operate better or not.  I also had to repopulate a lot of my text content as the upgrade wiped it all out.  I think mainly in the header boxes because DMS 1 and 2 seem to operate the header and footer differently (I had two different header options in 1 and in 2 its global option only it seems).

There is also an incredible lag in seeing updates show up in the live site and sometimes it does not update at all and reverts to previous code/ content.  Is this common for others?

greenfly

Hello @amos 

Could we have a link to your particular site with this issue  please so we can have a look at the pages and investigate further. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

amos

I will put the link up later this evening as I am working on the site right now and it is in flux.  All the sites I work on with DMS (I have several) have an incredible lag time to reflect the changes on the live site.  When saving anything in WP it reflects the change immediately.  WIth DMS it take several minutes and sometimes does not change it at all (upon refresh I find the settings revert in my DMS editor or any DMS settings page on the backend.

Very frustrating and sometimes when I enter the correct code, I do not think its working so I move on to other solutions when in fact I had it correct and it never registered in the live site due to the lag.  I spend 30 minutes on a 1 minute edit.

amos

Actually, I am taking a break, so I will put the link here.  http://meshfabrication.ws/  I am hiding the site until its ready, so you have to enter the password to see it of  "mesh1234"

The site before I upgraded to DMS 2 I put here at: http://mesharchitecture.ws/  I will be updating that later this evening and can move it somewhere else if you need to see it in its DMS 1 format.

A note on the site: I made the header and footer's position fixed as well as two of the menus.  In DMS 2 I see that you can create a custom fixed header so I may use that although when I originally tried it all my pages alignments were off (so I left it as I had it in DMS 1 for now).  Doing this makes working in the DMS editor impossible, so I deactivate the fixed positions while editing the site.

I have two other sites in DMS 1 (many in Pagelines Framework that I have not migrated).  http://stpetepier.mesh.ws/ and http://outerlimitshovercrafttours.com/

On the Lag
The only way to guarantee the changes that I save to show up, and to show up right away, is to refresh the page while in the editor. Even if I edit the LESS on the backend I have to go to a page in the editor and refresh there.  It seems to push the change through, or clear the cache?  I am not sure but it works.  I of course refreshed my preview in another browser anytime I made changes.  Any changes in WP that are not DMS related show without this issue and as expected.  So its not an issue with my hosting or site, its only connected to DMS.

Template issue
The main point on this thread though is the template bug however.  Before unlocking ALL of my templates in DMS 2 any change to one template would affect every other template.  The only connection between the templates was that I started with one template, then altered that one to save the new templates.  But they all had a different name and should not have affected each other.  On this site of only a few pages its not a big deal, but it will be a major problem for more robust sites.  I am not sure if starting from scratch on a clean DMS 2 theme would alleviate the issue or not.

There is much more coding in the DMS sites when I had very little to add into Framework.  I am a designer, not a code editor and as DMS claims to be "All without coding!" I find misleading unless you consider CSS to not be code.

Thank you in advance for looking into this.  Let me know if I need to clarify anything.

amos

I should add the while I am experiencing the same issue as the original poster, one difference is:

Tthe bar at the top that shows what template I am using would not show up with the title of the template and instead showed as "custom (no template)" even though the template was highlighted in the Page Setup in the DMS Page Editor.  This was before unlocking all my templates.

Danny

amos - I have used both PageLines Framework and DMS extensively and I don't understand how you have come to the conclusion that you need to code more in DMS than you did in PageLines Framework ?

Code more in what way ?

Also, our forum policy is one question per topic, if you're having other issues not related to the original question please create a new topic.

fotoramonzi

Danny I agree the global/ local function should be reintroduced.  It seems counter-productive to create templates only to break them, but I will assume there was a reason this was explored.

But in addition, the template function is simply not working correctly to begin and am experiencing what illinimatt81 was trying to convey. I have 5 differently named templates and if I update content in any one of them, the other templates are affected when they should not be. (This is in the main content area, not headers or footers)  I had to simply unlink all of my pages and abandon the template function altogether.  

This was a site created in the original DMS theme and then updated to DMS 2 so I am not sure if a clean build would operate better or not.  I also had to repopulate a lot of my text content as the upgrade wiped it all out.  I think mainly in the header boxes because DMS 1 and 2 seem to operate the header and footer differently (I had two different header options in 1 and in 2 its global option only it seems).

There is also an incredible lag in seeing updates show up in the live site and sometimes it does not update at all and reverts to previous code/ content.  Is this common for others?

I am having this "exact" problem as well. Even after updating to the latest version of DMS. Unlocking a template makes no sense. When a new template is made it should automatically unlock or disassociate from the template it was based off of. To clarify: When I make a template I want the sections that I choose for that template to be constant. However, the content within the sections should not be linked to each page or post that utilizes that template. Why bother with multiple templates if the changes made in, say a textbox will change across all pages. that were based on a singular template. Isn't that what the custom section is for?

James B

If you were using DMS V1 previously, then think of unlocking the template as the same as using the local/global options that were in DMS V1.

So if you create your template with all the sections in and save. Then load that template on a new page and unlink, then you can enter your content in each section, then save and the content will be different on each of the pages.

If you enter your content on the original design, then save it as a template and load it on other pages, then the content that was saved into the original template will display on each page you load it on. Un-linking the template you'll then be able to edit each section and republish the page.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

amos

If you were using DMS V1 previously, then think of unlocking the template as the same as using the local/global options that were in DMS V1.

So if you create your template with all the sections in and save. Then load that template on a new page and unlink, then you can enter your content in each section, then save and the content will be different on each of the pages.

If you enter your content on the original design, then save it as a template and load it on other pages, then the content that was saved into the original template will display on each page you load it on. Un-linking the template you'll then be able to edit each section and republish the page.

This seems like a poor strategy to creating and maintaining a good workflow.   The local/ global options was a much smarter management.

Regardless, there is still the issue of the original post that is clearly a error and not an intended function.  If it was intended it makes the deployment of templates unusable.  

To clarify there are two issues at play here:

Issue #1 that I believe James is addressing, which is the need to unlock a page from its template to update the local content (which is counter-productive when you want to update universal content of related pages, the whole reason for a template link)

Issue #2 that fotoramonzi"],  @[member="illinimatt81 and myself are experiencing, a new template saved with a new name is still pulling changes between templates that should now be separate.  This has happened to me with 5 differently saved templates, a change in one updated the other 4 which should not be connected in any way (other than header and footer).

amos

I just thought of a potential solution to the the "bug" we are experiencing.  Perhaps its a glitch, but if we make template #2 that is a 'save as' of template #1 then maybe we have to 'unlock' it first before saving it as template #2 to avoid any connections that should have been severed from the previous template that are still somehow emerging? 

GetMeWebDesign

amos This is not a glitch. That is how it works. YOU MUST unlock the template before you save it, otherwise the changes will be made to template #1 and you will then just be saving an exact replica with template #2

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

GetMeWebDesign

This seems like a poor strategy to creating and maintaining a good workflow.   The local/ global options was a much smarter management.

Regardless, there is still the issue of the original post that is clearly a error and not an intended function.  If it was intended it makes the deployment of templates unusable.  

To clarify there are two issues at play here:

Issue #1 that I believe James is addressing, which is the need to unlock a page from its template to update the local content (which is counter-productive when you want to update universal content of related pages, the whole reason for a template link)

Issue #2 that fotoramonzi"],  @[member="illinimatt81 and myself are experiencing, a new template saved with a new name is still pulling changes between templates that should now be separate.  This has happened to me with 5 differently saved templates, a change in one updated the other 4 which should not be connected in any way (other than header and footer).

While it is a different workflow than everyone has grown accustomed to with Framework or DMS1, it is in fact how a template should work. If you need sections that update globally for that template, then you need to use custom sections. However, with DMS2 you are creating templates. By unlocking the template it allows you to alter it locally (and I mean locally specific to that page and not globally or globally local to the template).  When you use other theme 'templates', the 'unlocking' is in fact what you are doing when you save the page.

Where Framework differed, was that it was closer to a content management system (CMS), like wordpress than a true DMS (Design Management System). Framework allowed you to drag and drop design, but the content was managed within the CMS.

I appreciate, some will have a real problem in explaining/showing a customer how custom sections are linked to certain types of page, especially as the page will no longer have an assigned template name once it has been unlocked. This is where many are really struggling as this is where the workflow breaks down and it is a DMS with a better CMS that they are really wanting (akin to Framework?)

amos

What happens then if you have 5 pages that were using the same template that were each unlocked to adjust some of the relevant content of that particular page and the site wants to evolve with some adjustment of the layout?  You now have to adjust each page since it no longer has any connection to the original template where each page shares the similar elements.  DMS 1 was able to accomplish this no problem as did Framework.

Thanks for explaining that what we thought was a bug was actually part of the design.  Not sure of a scenario where you were ever save as a second template where you would still want it connected to the previous one.  But if you say it was intended, then the good news is that this thread is resolved? 

This will at least allow me to start using the templates again with the new understanding that it will work the way the people helping here have outlined, although since the templates are only useful for a single page, there really is no reason to use them at all...thanks for taking the time to address it (I hope the developers take another look at this method in the future updates).  I think you just turned a theme building platform into a page builder.