Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

illinimatt81

Templates Wiped Out in 2.0?

illinimatt81

I'm looking around DMS2 on my dev server. I made a backup of my DMS 1.1.8 site and then activated DMS2 on it.

I am noticing that there seems to be things pulling through from templates that are stored somewhere. Templates I had setup on individual pages are also displaying as 'Template: None' on the WP-Admin Bar with DMS2 on the Dev Server yet when I look at the live site with DMS 1.1.8 the templates are listed.

There is something that seems to not be right with templates that are saved, but can't quite figure it out. Not really sure how to better articulate this.

Simon

Here is a good article explaining templates in v2

http://pagelinescommunity.com/templates-in-pagelines-dms/

The templates in v1 were not really linked, you could save a template and it was like a snapshot of a page, and you could apply that snapshot to another page, but the pages were not linked, so changes in one would not affect the other. In 2.0 this now works, all pages that use a template share the settings.

illinimatt81

Here is a good article explaining templates in v2

http://pagelinescommunity.com/templates-in-pagelines-dms/

The templates in v1 were not really linked, you could save a template and it was like a snapshot of a page, and you could apply that snapshot to another page, but the pages were not linked, so changes in one would not affect the other. In 2.0 this now works, all pages that use a template share the settings.

Ouch. This explains everything. I used them as snapshots of pages and have a ton of rework to now do...I always thought they should probably work the way you designed them now but .... Just have to deal with it.

Thanks for the detail.

All in all, I have to say the things I have to fix are minor from v1 to v2. Definitely a days work instead of a month when I moved from Framework! This is clearly the best Wordpress design tool out there.

James B

Hey Matt, glad to hear you're enjoying V2, hopefully the way templates are saved now will make things much easier in future. Thank you for updating the thread.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

illinimatt81

As I am going through this it appears that if I make a change to a page with a template of 'none' in DMS2 (doesn't show any locked/unlocked options) and make any edits it is carrying over everywhere as a global change to 'none' to any pages that were part of a template assigned in DMS1.x. It seems I have to create a custom template for each page now to overcome this?

James B

Hi there, what I've done so far is set up my first page/template how i want it. Save that as a new template and then apply it to the other pages i wanted on the site, so then i have a group of pages using x template. Then go to a page i wanted to be the y template, set that up and save it as y template, then apply it to the pages i wanted to be using the y template. Is that what you mean?

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

illinimatt81

Hi there, what I've done so far is set up my first page/template how i want it. Save that as a new template and then apply it to the other pages i wanted on the site, so then i have a group of pages using x template. Then go to a page i wanted to be the y template, set that up and save it as y template, then apply it to the pages i wanted to be using the y template. Is that what you mean?

Hi James B

I think I actually have identified a bug, please see the video/bug thread I posted at http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/33509-dms2-page-templates-bug-video/