Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

illinimatt81

Blog Post Options in DMS2

illinimatt81

I am having trouble finding the blog post options in DMS2.

Here is what I am looking for that is in DMS 1: http://www.screencast.com/t/jj1TsgiCud

I am trying to remove the side graphic of me and the thumbmail from the actual blog posts: http://www.screencast.com/t/oR1tO0lj

I see it is available in legacy options, but how do I access in DMS2 to maintain the look of how the blog posts are?

nfp1900

I had to remove the avatar image using CSS - I couldn't see how else to do this. But it then leaves a margin to the left which I have so far failed to remove, 

batman

Hi illinimatt81"], @[member="nfp1900

Please, you can try with the options

Select Meta Mode

and

Hide Thumbs?

You see the image

http://screencast.com/t/JSjmfqyHQ

Life is too short to remove USB safely ...

illinimatt81

Hi illinimatt81"], @[member="nfp1900

Please, you can try with the options

Select Meta Mode

and

Hide Thumbs?

You see the image

http://screencast.com/t/JSjmfqyHQ

Yes, this is how it is in DMS1, but the legacy mode will be killed off at sometime so it is not a solution. Not really sure what to do here. Are we forced to use the new style of blog posts? If so, what are best practices for the images?

batman

Hi again

I don´t understand, but i have two live test site 

Like DMS 1 with DMS 2

http://mac-foro.com.ar

The new DMS 2

http://clima-mac.com.ar

What kind of blog are you use in DMS 1?, you can show a screenshot

:)

illinimatt81

Hi again

I don´t understand, but i have two live test site 

Like DMS 1 with DMS 2

http://mac-foro.com.ar

The new DMS 2

http://clima-mac.com.ar

What kind of blog are you use in DMS 1?, you can show a screenshot

:)

I'm not having an issue with the options in DMS1, like nfp1900 also noted we can't find options to do this within DMS2 and it seems that there is only one default blog setting now. I am trying to understand if this is the case and if so what is the best practice now for posts as I have duplicate images for Featured and those I embed in the posts. If there is anyway to keep the look and find the options in DMS2 that would be great but I am trying to understand if I am just missing something.

batman

Hi again

I believe that.....

If you use the DMS 2 option without legacy you need to add a "Custom Styling Classes"  at WP Content/Loop post like

image-duplicate

with a CSS rules like this

.image-duplicate .attachment-landscape-thumb.wp-post-image {display: none}

and not have the image twice

Only I suppose .......I do not see any other way.

batman

Hi illinimatt81

The right code is 

.image-duplicate .pl-new-loop .hentry.single-post .metamedia {
    display: none;}

and the "Custom Styling Classes"
image-duplicate

erin-wsk

I'm not having an issue with the options in DMS1, like nfp1900 also noted we can't find options to do this within DMS2 and it seems that there is only one default blog setting now. I am trying to understand if this is the case and if so what is the best practice now for posts as I have duplicate images for Featured and those I embed in the posts. If there is anyway to keep the look and find the options in DMS2 that would be great but I am trying to understand if I am just missing something.

I've looked and looked as well and I'm rather bummed that the only way to keep a traditional blog layout (without having to use featured images/excerpts) is to use legacy. Hopefully this isn't the case and I'm missing something. 

illinimatt81

erin-wsk Hope to hear from Pagelines on this, I agree. This is an oversight and one major thing keeping me from being able to adopt DMS2 on my main website. I've overcome all other migration issues without too much work, but losing control over the blog is a big deal.

greenfly

Hi guys. 

You haven't lost control over the blog layout per say, you can still change the layout of images and hide images where necessary using CSS. It is very simple to achieve all this with CSS. you also can still control blog settings with Wordpress. 

If you have specific issues with the DMS blog settings at the moment please create a topic and we will be able to help with customizations etc. Really simple to achieve with some CSS and we can help.  

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

erin-wsk

Hi guys. 

You haven't lost control over the blog layout per say, you can still change the layout of images and hide images where necessary using CSS. It is very simple to achieve all this with CSS. you also can still control blog settings with Wordpress. 

If you have specific issues with the DMS blog settings at the moment please create a topic and we will be able to help with customizations etc. Really simple to achieve with some CSS and we can help.  

I completely understand that and can still achieve a good chunk of what I'm used to doing. The only thing I'm questioning is the clients who want to show full post content (say, without a read more). Or, with the magazine mode where 1-2 are full width and the clip boxes under. I can control a lot with css but it seems like some of the things aren't possible?

James B

We've checked this with the core team for you, for the minute you can use the legacy mode for the time being. Going forwards they plan to add new sections which will add additional features like this and more to the postloop, possible as part of the club subscription tools.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

erin-wsk

Awesome- thanks, James!

williamweber

I'll be totally honest, this change is really, really upsetting. If I understand correctly what we once could do with simple options selectors in DMS 1.1 we are now told can only be done with custom CSS styling? How is that an upgrade?

There are many great features in pagelines but I have to say for a framework on the BLOGGING!! platform to remove the customization options for the actual content of the BLOG is absolutely insane to me. Yes, light boxes and galleries are pretty, and I'm glad there are new options for the fixed menu and many other new things DMS2 but you have to be kidding me that the features for display of actual blog content have been completely stripped away and we are forced to use a "legacy" mode to achieve anything close to what we once could.

I'm very, very frustrated with this.

greenfly

@williamweber 

i have answered your concerns on the topic you made for yourself. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

davekeys

Me too man. Why all the unnecessary complexity? I noticed one developer was selling a filter plugin. Selling something to get back a functionality that you broke is uncool.

C'mon you guys, put the distributor cap back on and stop messing around!

I'll be totally honest, this change is really, really upsetting. If I understand correctly what we once could do with simple options selectors in DMS 1.1 we are now told can only be done with custom CSS styling? How is that an upgrade?

There are many great features in pagelines but I have to say for a framework on the BLOGGING!! platform to remove the customization options for the actual content of the BLOG is absolutely insane to me. Yes, light boxes and galleries are pretty, and I'm glad there are new options for the fixed menu and many other new things DMS2 but you have to be kidding me that the features for display of actual blog content have been completely stripped away and we are forced to use a "legacy" mode to achieve anything close to what we once could.

I'm very, very frustrated with this.

illinimatt81

We've checked this with the core team for you, for the minute you can use the legacy mode for the time being. Going forwards they plan to add new sections which will add additional features like this and more to the postloop, possible as part of the club subscription tools.

I noticed nothing has changed with the blog legacy options. I am fearful with each DMS update that it will break. We need an answer as to how we can keep our blog look and feel in tact if desired. I agree with the other sentiments that we shouldn't have to have a separate paid plugin to achieve what we already have now.

DMS2 is quite possibly the best for making Wordpress websites, but little nuances like this make it challenging to plan. The blog is the blog. It doesn't really need a facelift.

davekeys

It's looking like Headway Themes time here folks. I found a Parallax plugin or two that pretty much seals the deal and dismisses the unneeded complexities. Fix and re-pitch and I'll look at it then.

greenfly

There are no firm plans to remove the Blog post options as said previously. There will be further options and functionality introduced going forward as we have said before. 

To Quote James above 

Going forwards they plan to add new sections which will add additional features like this and more to the postloop, possible as part of the club subscription tools.