Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eholland7080

Multiple Category Aggregate Templates?

eholland7080

Hello

I'm not even sure how to word this, but here goes.

I have the following site: http://studio7080.com

How do I get the left side nav to be different between http://studio7080.com/thought-leadership/water-quality and

http://studio7080.com/news-room/news-releases

The left side nav menu needs to be different but because they are the same type template, what ever I add to one gets added to the other.

Hope I explained it well, if not please ask any questions.

Thank you in advance

Eric

asialove

Hi, Eric.

I guess, thought-leadership and news-room are two different categories? right?

is it a post or custom post type?

" Version 2 of DMS is released shortly and has completely revised how templates are saved/store, so it would be best to wait for this."

please wait the DMS 2.0. or 

read this post http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/33427-how-to-use-custom-sidebar-on-category-pages/

greenfly

Thank you @asialove 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

eholland7080

Yes thank you very much!  Asialove, in your response you specify two resolutions.  The first was creating a separate template for each parent categories.  Will this work and if so, will the template be automatically used on the children categories of the 2 parent categories? (thought leadership and news room are parent categories to many child categories.

Or should I modify the core file as you outline in your second solution?

Thank you again for your expert advice :)

Eric

eholland7080

Think I have the category item worked out thanks to asialove.  How would I do that with single post items?

meaning if I display a post of news-room\news-releases\singlepost to get the submenu assigned to news room

and

and display a post of thought-leadership\water-quality\singlepost to get the submenu assigned to thought leadership

thanks

Eric

James B

Hi Eric, is you're using the example from the previous post that was linked bear in the mind that any changes to the core files get rewritten each time you update the theme. So those changes would need to be put in each time you update.

You could try using the widget logic plugin instead which allows you to set which widgets appear on each page depending on the category or page id - http://wordpress.org/plugins/widget-logic/

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

asialove

Think I have the category item worked out thanks to asialove.  How would I do that with single post items?

meaning if I display a post of news-room\news-releases\singlepost to get the submenu assigned to news room

and

and display a post of thought-leadership\water-quality\singlepost to get the submenu assigned to thought leadership

thanks

Eric

Please try the DMS 2.0, It works great!

I have not test yet if it is ok to assign different  submenu  section to different single post from different category!

i will test it later, and then reply you back..

asialove

James B,  is there any document about "create plugins" or "creat hooks" for pageline dms.

I am thinking of creat a plugin or hooks that can help DMS users easy assign different section/

----------

By the way, It seem that I still can not assign different templte for different category :))??????????

eholland7080

Hi everyone, thank you for the feedback

@jamesb, how would I use widget logic to display different side bar menus (using custom side bars) based on the category page the visitor is on?  The only thing that seems to be working is the plugin called Advanced Sidebar Menu which dynamically loads the the children of parent pages and parent categories based on the 'current page' the visitor is on.  The on problem with that plugin is I cant control the order in which they appear in the widget.

greenfly

Hello @eholland7080 

Widget Logic is a third party plugin and details of using this plugin and it's features are available via the Wordpress Plugin page http://wordpress.org/plugins/widget-logic/

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

nfp1900

Did this initial question ever get answered: is it possible in v2 to have different template designs for each category? It used to be then went away in DMS but was high up on the wishlist. 

greenfly

Hello nfp1900

If you can create a new topic for us and we will be able to look into this for you 

nfp1900

I tested this and it appears that having different templates for categories is not possible. 

eholland7080

@Jamesb and everyone, thank you for the info, widget logic did the trick!  much appreciated.

greenfly

no problem - glad that helped :)