Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

antonyg

Space Between Sections in a Column

antonyg

Hi, I am sure this is easy for someone more experienced than I;

I have a 3-column layout with the middle column containing more content than the outer columns. On either side I want to have several sections separated by gaps. 

Please see my screen shot;

[attachment=2035:SideBar.jpg]

So I would like to separate the Shopping Cart, Specials, and Recently Viewed Products sections. Right now I have them as text boxes (headings) and widgetizers for the content in the one column. 

I'm not sure how to make a space between these sections. 

Thanks and regards

Antony 

greenfly

could we have a link to your site so we can see how you have this working please?

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

antonyg

Hi Martin, thanks for your response - currently I'm working on the site on my local machine. I guess I was asking more how an expert would set this up rather than looking into how I've set it up. 

Thanks

Antony 

greenfly

would you be so kind as to sketch us a mockup of what you would like to achieve. this can very crude if need be. and then we can help. not sure i understand how you want to lay things out from the screenshot and your description 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

antonyg

For some reason I'm finding it really hard to describe what I'm after but it is a very common layout. I quickly drew a sketch of what I am after and have attached it. 

[attachment=2036:Sketch.JPG]

In DMS, I have inserted a 3-column layout. For the right most column, it is made up of text boxes for the headings, and widgetizers for the content, i.e. cart listing, special listing, etc. From my original screen shot, you can see those 3 items are joined together as one continuous box.

What I would like to achieve is separating those 3 boxes so that there is a gap in between, for example shown in my sketch. 

Many thanks for your time. 

Antony 

James B

Hi Antony

Each of those sections in the right hand sidebar will be contained inside their own div. Using custom css, you'll need to find the class of that div and apply a margin-bottom to get the gap between the sections as in your diagram.

If you've not used css before inside DMS check out the overview here http://docs.pagelines.com/customize/how-to-customize which advises how to find the classes using a web inspector like firebug or chrome dev tools, and then here http://docs.pagelines.com/customize/overriding-default-css on how to add your code to override the default system code.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

antonyg

Thanks James - I thought there might have been a way within the DMS designer. 

Regards

Antony 

James B

You're welcome, good luck, let us know how you get on.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B