Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reidwalley

How do I add rel=nofollow to the social media icon links in the ShareBar?

reidwalley    1
reidwalley

Hi,

I want to add rel=nofollow to the Social Media icon links in the Sharebar. All those little Social Media links show up on every Post - and I'd like to rel=nofollow them.

How do I do this? Is there something I can add to functions.php? Or something I can add to my Child Theme? - in Section > Sharebar > section.php.

Using:

- PageLines Framework, v2.4.4

- WordPress, v3.8.1

Thanks.

Danny    1,327
Danny

HI,

Not why as to why you would want to do that, the rel=nofollow attribute basically tells the robots/crawlers to ignore those links, those social media links are your social networks, so your site has a relationship with them. As far as I am aware the rel=nofollow attribute should only be on the following; paid links, untrusted content, registration or login pages and/or links to individuals/companies that are competitors.

Please search our forums, before posting!

reidwalley    1
reidwalley

Hi Danny,

Shoot; my apologies. I meant to ask a different question regarding the social media icons in the Sharebar: how can I make them "secure"? We're running a HTTPS site and the social media icons in the Sharebar are not set up to run over HTTPS.

You're correct about not putting NOfollow on the social media links.

I'll open a new thread. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks.

• Similar Content

• arno
      By arno+
      The counter next to the icon in the Sharebar extension adds more mess than value for us. 
      Is there an easy way/code to hide the counter? (so that the icons line up closer?)
    • bnapoli
      By bnapoli+
      Is there an easy CSS fix to change the social media icons in Sharebar so they are colored, not just on hover?
    • MissT
      By MissT+
      Regarding the 'global option' mentioned by Simon in this previous post (to turn off the facebook opengraph data if you are using another plugin that provides it) ...where is this option? I don't seem to be able to find it.
      Many thanks in advance.

• jDub
      By jDub
      Hi there,  I've been trying to add social media links (facebook, linked in, twitter and Google + to the top menu bar on my site, http://www.stjohnsmith.ca/ but have had no success at all.  I've even tried to add font-awesome icons and it just shows a blank square.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
    • tforasiepi
      By tforasiepi+
      Has anyone been able to get the Social Media icons to show up in Impulse or SocialLinks sections?  I read the Reference and gave it a try.
      "Icons
      Enter Icon/url pairs. Format each entry on a new line, in the format:
      facebook http://www.facebook.com/pagelines
      twitter http://www.twitter.com/pagelines
      Icons are displayed to the right of the section."
      I've tried replacing "facebook" with a link to an icon.  I've replaced the pagelines Facebook link with mine.  But neither shows an icon or link.  I've also tried putting them in brackets.  I must have the format wrong.
      Can you help?
      Thanks!