Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brookdalecenter

Content duplication and weird positioning! Website is having major issue. Content is being duplicated and shown in odd places!

brookdalecenter

Hi,

This is urgent. The website I am using for my company is acting weird. The content shows as duplicated in the background and the duplication cannot be removed. In addition, the some pages have the content appearing mix up and not content loops are not appearing at all, altogether. Please help! This is really urgent. Please take a look at the screenshot attached.

Here are credentials for my site:

Please help, this is urgent.

Thanks,

Jose

James B

Hi there, you've not provided the site url, the url in your profile is a site using the twenty ten theme.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

brookdalecenter

I've changed the theme because I couldnt keep the site looking the way it is while I worked on fixing it. It is the site my organization at work uses. Should I set the pagelines theme ?

imwy2cool

I'll echo that my sites have been doing the same things. I'll start a new thread on it soon.

brookdalecenter

James- Can you help with this issue??

James B

Hi there, I can see the site has been changed now to using the DMS theme, but we're unable to log in using the credentials provided, it doesn't allow us access.

Can you please provide some more information on the problem and when/how it occurred. Have you gone through the initial troubleshooting stages of disabling any third party plugins and removing any custom code to see if this is causing any conflicts? Is this only happening on blog pages/posts?

Unfortunately the moderator team are all part time on various shift rotas, so I wasn't here early when you responded on the thread. But if you can provide as much information as possible on the problem, how it ocurred, what steps you've taken to rectify/troubleshoot so far who ever is on during the shift you respond will be able to look further.

If you could also enable the debug option inside the DMS control panel > settings > advanced and post a screenshot of the options panel open in the editor for us.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

brookdalecenter

Hi James. Thanks for getting back to me. This problem began on Wednesday evening. It began randomly. I don't know what caused it. I have not installed any new plugins since beginning work on DMS. The problem only occurs when I use the DMS template. My wordpress site appears fine when I use any other template, so this leads me to believe that this is a problem with DMS. I already have the debug option enabled. I'm not sure where you want me to post the screenshot. I don't know what you mean by the options panel in the editor. I don't think I can remove custom code because if I do, I will lose my entire design. I spent a lot of time refining the design using custom code. Why is it that you cannot access my account? I gave the credentials for you to see it. Is there something else I need to provide you?

James B

Hi there, the options panel is in the DMS toolbar, so when you click on the postloop edit icon it brings up the section options panel.

http://screencast.com/t/Qrnr7t5b0

If you copy your customer css and paste this into a blank text document or email so you have a copy saved. You're then safe to remove it from the site to test if something in the code is causing the conflict. You can then copy/paste it back in afterwards if its not deemed to be causing the conflict. 

If you upgrade Wordpress or one of the plugins shortly before this started happening then this could also be the cause of conflict, if the new code somehow clashes with the core code. We are now able to see the debug screen, this shows there quiet a few plugins active, so you will need to disable all of these to see if the problem corrects itself, if it does then its a case of switching each one on one by one to see which is causing the problem.

The debug screen is also showing you're using an older version of PHP, please ask your host to upgrade you to php 5.4 if possible as the version you're currently using is prior to DMS.

We're unable to access the site as the login screen states that the login credentials are not correct or the user created doesn't exist, you will need to check the credentials provided or create a new set of login credentials for us. Please note that usually moderator staff don't login to client sites to correct problems remotely for liability reasons, if we do then we need it in writing that you're happy for either us or the developer team to make changes or turn off plugins/scripts in testing etc. Anything that would be server related we'd have to refer you to the host to correct as this would outside of our immediate access etc.

Also another thing to think of, some hosts provide a roll back service where you can revert to how the site was on a specific date. If you know roughly when the issue occurred your host might be able to reinstate the site to the day before it happened to see if that resolves the issue.

James B

brookdalecenter

Hi James,

I really appreciate your help in trying to resolve this issue. I finally was able to fix the issue by removing the custom code as you suggested and rewriting it line by line. However, i'm afraid this issue will come back to haunt me in the future. Hopefully it doesn't. I will contact my hosting provider and ask them to upgrade my php to 5.4 like you suggested. What will this do if you don't mind me asking? Also I am currently using DMS with custom code only to make the edits to my site, but I would like to have more control over the look and feel of my site. How do I access the stylesheet.css, javascript file and php file for my site? Please let me know.

Thanks for your help,

Jose

greenfly

brookdalecenter

As any software product is updated one would like to think that improvements are made from version to version. running a more up to date version of a product can only have benefits. You can see the changes made to PHP version 5.4 here http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration54.changes.php

If you are using DMS then there is no need to se your stylesheet.css or any other core files. DMS is designed so you can control the design of your site from the Visual editor. Using your browser inspection tools or Firebug to make CSS tweaks and changes and then taking the code from thee tools and adding to your custom code panel. you could access these files through FTP - HOWEVER I would recommend not touching the core files you mentioned if you are not 100% sure what you are doing with them or even sure how to find these files. if you do change these files and then have a problem, we cannot help you or support you changing these core files. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

brookdalecenter

Ok thanks. The reason I want to access the core files of the site is to be able to make more varied edits to it, i.e change the style of buttons, add css3 actions and so forth. If there is a way for me to do this without using the core files please let me know. Thanks.

greenfly

You would use CSS to do this. The CSS would be added to the Custom CSS scripts box in the visual editor. 

The best place to start with customisations is here http://docs.pagelines.com/customize/how-to-customize

If you have anything specific then please create a new topic relating specifically to the customization issue and we can help. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

brookdalecenter

Ok great. Thanks Martin!

greenfly

No problems - do let us know how you get on.