Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

micstepl

DMS edit rights / for Wordpress roles (Feature Request)

micstepl

Anyone out there that has the need for following function/feature?

This is an addon to the Pagelines PRO plugin (Funktion is nearly there!)

Function

• to have a selected "Wordpress Role" (e.g. Editor)
  • to be able to edit the content of a selected/marked DMS sections

Example / UseCase

• you build as Super Admin/Developer a site for a client
  • you want one person at the client to be able to
    • eg. edit the pictures of a banner of a section
    • you simply give that role the permission to edit this single section
  • what the "WP role" would receive
    • acces to DMS editor  >>>  but ONLY see this single section
    • the person could edit the content of this single section
    • btu NOT:  move, delete the section (in oder to securethe layout)

Easy solution to that

• it´s nearly there already !!!
  • @PL-staff >>> tweak the "Pagelines PRO" plugin 
  • see the mock-up

DMS-PRO_edit-request.jpg

description pre-phase:

• the mockup is from the perspektive of a "role" that has already received (from the WP / DMS Super Admin) the edit rights within DMS to edit this singe section.
  • the controls look the same at the super admin > the difference is only, that it is offering all the usual interface (as today) with all controls

description :

• the role can only edit the desired section
  • all other sections have no controls and look like a normal page view
  1. controls for positioning the section, duplicationg & deleting are hidden
  2. the DMS editor only shows necessary controls (alll others are hidden)
  3. on the right side there ins the pendant to the right >> but for editing in DMS
    • the selector to give DMS edit rights to a role
    • in this case shaded out for the active "role"
    • only to be set by the "Super Admin"
  4. the role selector to give access to
  5. description on what to enable on Wordpress side to make th Funktion wohl. (this already exists + working at: .... see this link)

jmad

Yes! Please.

Danny

I have already told you in your previous post regarding your confusion to this functionality and I said on there that its very unlikely this kind of functionality will be added to DMS.

You were confused about the ability to hide sections for usergroups, so something like this will only lead to further confusion. If you want to give users the ability to edit sections then you will want to create a new usergroup or role using a plugin and assign them to that usergroup.

I also spoken to one of our developers and he informed me that its unlikely something like this would come into DMS.

Please search our forums, before posting!

micstepl

Danny,

I really do not appreciate your resistance to changes + feature requests. I have formulated (from my missunderstanding) a new feature reust - I am not confused and I have a very clearly understanding.

but ...

I have not received from you the answer in regards to the business need & application to the current implementation of the  "Hide this section for logged in users*" (all other three options are logical and OK)

My hypothesis is, that this* funktion is a logical mistige in the implementation without business purose. 

Unless you explain it propperly my hypothesis is right :)

Simon

The reason for 'Hide this section for logged in users' is that you might have a spammy advert that you dont want to show your loyal logged in users.

micstepl

partially a fair argument, 

sorry, but ...

why do you show the section to "non logged in users" (the "normal visitor")

micstepl

Simon_P

do you see a use of my feature request mocked up on top?

why sould danny think what he articulates?

Simon

Danny asked me if your mockup was possible, and I told him it currently looks improbable, a LOT of code would have to be changed.

As I said just now. You might want to show a textbox with some kind of BUY NOW!!! advert to no users, and another textbox to logged in users.

micstepl

Simon_P

OK - I got your example.

@ my mockUp ... still searching for a solution for my problem

• what about
    • beeing konsistent in your actual/current implementation
    • follow your word: "hide section for logged in users" 
  • with "beeing konsistent" I mean
    • also hiding the section in DMS editor totally (for the selected role)
    • not only hiding it in display mode of the site (whic is the inconsistancy)
    • and of cause not for Super Admin

this would also help & ad another great feature 

micstepl

I´d like to underpin the above mentioned inconsistancy of implementation, resulting in an unnecessary freature downgrade.

Recommendation:

Just fo not show the section for a role in DMS editor at all!

This seems "correct"

DMS-PRO_Inconsiatancy1.jpg

Here you see the "inconsistancy"

DMS-PRO_Inconsiatancy2.jpg

Danny

Why are normal users i.e. non-admins able to see your DMS editor, by default only Admins have access to the DMS editor. All other users see nothing, no editor, no DMS Toolbar.

Also, I am not resisting your feature request/ideas, all DMS users are welcome to provide feedback and ideas for new features. Just because I do not agree or see the point in your feature request doesn't mean I am resisting. I am just providing my own feedback. For example:

Is this something that can be implemented without nuking a users website.

Is this something the majority of our users will use or find useful

Is this something that would benefit new users.

For me personally, I don't actually see the point in adding functionality where non-admins can edit sections, when by default admins are the only usergroup to see/use the DMS editor.

micstepl

Why are normal users i.e. non-admins able to see your DMS editor, by default only Admins have access to the DMS editor.

technically

• this is something you have to ask wordpress
  • see their command >>> edit_theme_options 
  • ... giving roles acces to do so via themes >>> this is what DMS is handled as, isn´t ist?

Business reason:

• the world does not only consist of developers
    • willig to lern DMS and capable of doing so
    • hiring a developer for changing 1 picture in a banner
  • there might be stupid editors
    • that simply want to change 1 picture in a section that is given them the right to do so 

Business reason for developers:

• beeign able to cascade their business up
  • eg. incrementally licensing out access to some DMS sections
  • (less hudle with content stuff)

Danny

Well for me, adding this functionality would limit the possibility of developers gaining extra income.

The way I look at it as a developers point of view is as a developer you should provide the following to your client.

• Develop your clients website for a fixed fee.

However, you could generate a lot more income doing the following:

• You could host your clients website using a VPS (using Linode or Digital Ocean) or Dedicated server, for a monthly fee.
  • Provide additional support for alterations or additional content being added for a small fee.

If we add this functionality, you're limiting the above as the client can do it themselves, which isn't a bad thing, but you as their developer will be losing potential income.

I think offering your clients the ability to host their site, develop their site and maintain it for a small fee is a worth while service and one that will provide you with a recurring income.

micstepl

Little bit of a dictatoric approach, don´t you think so?

Rather not fitting an "open model" like Pagelines is on, right?

fitting model for Pagelines would be:

I think we should leave the decision up to developer + their specific client (and both their mode of contracting)

I would rahter like to have the option mentioned, available ... IF ...  the client situation requires it (compared to not having it at all). 

The solution seems faily easy to solve for you .... PLEASE :)

- IF ..... "Hide this section for logged in users"

- THAN ..... Hide this section in DMS EDIT view.

let me give you a market tendency:

• Anglo-American clients ... are willing to pay (even prefer) for services + like to do so  (allowing your model).
  • Central European clients ... do rather not like to pay for services - rather thes are willig to pay a one off fee

My solutions analyzed:

1. my 1st mockUp:
    • technically:  makes it easy for the developer to garant access to 1 section specifically
    • business: possibly pushing a model I suggested / but you do not prefer 
  2. my 2nd suggestion
  • technically:  
    - makes it difficult for the developer to garant access to 1 section<
    - since the developer needs to first hide all sections and leave only one for the client to change 
  • business
    - this will force developers to rather not choose this model for their client
    - but still allow to do so
    -  some sort of a compromise

personal comment:  I´d personally rather charge a client

... to allow a customer self-exchange his "eg. Banner for 50$" a month > than I do it and need to work for content :)

... time 1000$ upfront by section to have it self-maintained later by him  :)

Danny

It appears whatever I reply, you either take offence or have a completely different idea/approach.

My reply is in no way shape or form supposed to be dictatorial, how you come to that conclusion is beyond me. I used the words "could", that is by no means demanding or dictating you or other DMS users how to use DMS.

I am resolving this topic, as you clearly don't like my responses and our developer has already replied informing us of the current decision for this request.

micstepl
The idea is always the same - I am responding to the new Inputs/perspectives you bring in answer by answer..

Dictatorial - I do not perceive your way of expressing - dictatorial I percieve the strategy to rule market/developer/models - I just want to give my deep market knowledge in order to make you see.

Your developer has replied to my first mockup of during it - I just tried to give you other options to solve the issue - we work in a prototyping, iterative way :)

What I dislike - the still lacking resolution on mentioned issues (above)
- inconsistency of current implementation
- reflection on to my 2nd suggestion
- WP edit role-rghts by command - in relation to DMS Editor view
- how I should address my demographic related client behaviour

I would appreciate constructive handling - also on a non technical/market level. Are decisions only made on a technical level in PL - are you a techy company only? Please take the issues up again.

thanks in advance for your support.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Danny

We are not lacking in resolving any above issues, as there are no issues. Simon and I have both replied to your request and informed you that something like this is not likely going to be included, as it would require a rewrite of some files and not really offer functionality that is needed or would be used by a majority of our users.

Feature request implementation is not part of my job description, all I did was give you my personal opinion which for me isn't something that DMS should really handle. DMS should be used by the admin usergroup and not have role specific functionality. For me, this will lead to unnecessary bloat and only confuse users.

micstepl
thanks for your reply.

Who is responsible in PL I should in future talk to in regards to feature requests.
I suppose I should also not use this platform? Which in case?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Simon

A feature request is just that, a request. By posting it here you requested it, and it has been noted by me. There is nobody else to talk to about it.

We dont add everything requested by every customer, we would soon have a million options and a bloated product.

I alone maintain the pro tools plugin and I update it periodically with new code.

micstepl

Simon_P

thanks for your professional support, handling & clarification

,Michael