Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

micstepl

PageLines PRO plugin - user permission issue

micstepl

"Hide this section for logged in users" does not work, respectively does have an error.

What works correctly

All other 3 options have different function and relate to the section in respect to not displaying it on the published site. There the Funktion is correct form my perspective.

My view on how this should work with "logget in users"

• enable "Hide this section for logged in users"
  • define the "usergroups"
  • once the user is logged in (in edit mode)
  • this respektive section should not be visible/editable in edit mode
  • function description: exclude different "edit-users" form touching this section form changing

the Error

• "Hide this section for logged in users" on a section for eg an editor (done form Admin)
  • logged out as admin ....  logged in as eg. editor
  • the section is only hidden on the life site (no use for this function)
  • the section is shown in edit mode for the editor
  • anything can be done with the section form editor (edit, delete, etc.)
  • all changes are than displayed on the live site

regards

Danny

HI,

I have just added a Hero section to my site, then in the options selected to hide it for users in the Author group. I then load up Google Canary login as the user who is from the Author group and the Hero section is hidden.

I then proceeded to change my users group from author to editor, the same thing the section was hidden as intended. Why does a user from the editor group have DMS Visual Editor access ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

micstepl

Where was the section hidden at your test?

• in edit mode?
  • or in page view mode?

What does hidden mean to you?

• not visible at all
  • not editable but visible?
  • etc:?

Why does an editor have DMS rights?

• i don´t care wit this is "editor role" ... could be another role
  • theis orle Mus have the possibility to eg change Banner pictures
  • I would hide all other sections form that 

Danny

When you say edit mode what do you actually mean?

All I did was what I wrote above and when I was logged in as that user, the section was not visible on the page, which is how it's supposed to work.

micstepl

"edit mode" .... DMS editor.

on the page? Do you mean ....

• "DMS editor switched off ... supposed to simply view the page lika a user ?
  • within "DMS editor" .... suppoed to edit sections?

Danny

OK, so you have allowed users access to the DMS editor when they're in the Editor usergroup ?

As this isn't possible out of the box, the DMS editor is only accessible from users of the admin usergroup.

So if you have gave privileges to users of the editor usergroup to access the DMS editor and use it, then of course that section isn't going to be hidden from the editor user as he/she has access to the editor.

micstepl

your last comment is in my opinion inkorrect.

• If you give "other users than admin"  edit_theme_options permission rights with  >>> define(‘PL_EDITOR_LOCK’,1); <<< they can use DMS editor.
  • this is what I tried

plaese could you answer th open question form above

• on the page? Do you mean ....

• "DMS editor switched off ... supposed to simply view the page lika a user ?
    • within "DMS editor" .... suppoed to edit sections

What are than the roles for in the DMS PRO plugin?

Is there a Dokumentation for the PRO Plugin?

Danny

I don't think I can explain any other way or any simpler.

When I did what I wrote above and logged in as the user who was in the Editor usergroup, there is no DMS editor, as that usergroup by default doesn't have access to the DMS editor. So I am viewing the page as normal, but logged in. There is no DMS editor, no DMS Toolbar as the usergroup Editor do not have access out of the box.

Therefore, if your user which is in the usergroup Editor, is seeing the DMS Toolbar/Editor, then you have added custom code to grant access to this usergroup. If that is the case, then of course they're going to see sections that are hidden when using the DMS editor, what would be the point in hiding them from users who can view the DMS Visual Editor or Toolbar ?

There is no documentation for the DMS Pro Tools plugin, as the plugin already has inline documentation explaining what each option does. Writing documentation for this plugin, would just be a clone of the inline documentation.

camaran

and an other problem is when i hide a component i have a white space in the area where there is a component, is possibile to use display none?

Danny

I don't even have that camaran, it doesn't use display:none as far as I am aware

http://cl.ly/image/3u2w471m1W0w

micstepl

I don't think I can explain any other way or any simpler.

When I did what I wrote above and logged in as the user who was in the Editor usergroup, there is no DMS editor, as that usergroup by default doesn't have access to the DMS editor. So I am viewing the page as normal, but logged in. There is no DMS editor, no DMS Toolbar as the usergroup Editor do not have access out of the box.

Therefore, if your user which is in the usergroup Editor, is seeing the DMS Toolbar/Editor, then you have added custom code to grant access to this usergroup. If that is the case, then of course they're going to see sections that are hidden when using the DMS editor, what would be the point in hiding them from users who can view the DMS Visual Editor or Toolbar ?

There is no documentation for the DMS Pro Tools plugin, as the plugin already has inline documentation explaining what each option does. Writing documentation for this plugin, would just be a clone of the inline documentation.

What is the point

• to hide a section for logged in users  .... and this in normal page view ???
  • while ohters - normal viewers - can still see the section !?

What are the "role options" here for in DMS PRO?

DMS-Pro_roles%3F.png

Why hiding in DMS-Editor a section for me as the ADMIN?

DMS-Pro_hidden%20in%20dms.png

Still I´d like your solution (where I thought this Funktion will deviier ist)

• any role, lower than the Admin
  • to see certein selected sections to have access to
  • explanation
    • eg. 1 section to allow changing eg. an image,  
    • but no access to any other section in DMS editor
    • in order to not be able to destroy the site and anything else
  • this in my eyes useless function
    • you implemented now could in this respect easily be used to satisfy that :)

Danny

I have no idea what your issue is, the option is very simple and easy to understand. Those options are not only for logged in users, there is a guest usergroup at the bottom. I fail to understand why you're having such a hard time understanding this functionality.

If you select Editor from the list, then any users who are part of the Editor usergroup will not be able to see sections when they're logged in. If you want to hide a section for the Editor usergroup and Guests, then you need to select both of them at the same time.

http://cl.ly/image/1y1C3V0W1i2Q

In the image above, I've expanded the option area so you can see all usergroups.

micstepl

yes, I get it, but .....

1. you did not anser my questions
    1. what sense it makes to hide sections for logged in users (while all others see everything!!!)
    2. what option I can use (besides of this issue) to allow any logged in role (eg. editor) to edit 1 single section 
  2. documentation is missing
    1. this is why the confusion is there

Danny
  1. what sense it makes to hide sections for logged in users (while all others see everything!!!)

I've already explained this above, there is a guest option, so if you want all users to not see a specific section, then choose both Editor and Guest. If you do not want all users expect for Editor to see a specific section(s), then select all usergroups apart from Editor. I think the best thing is for you to do is play around with the functionality, as you seem to be confusing yourself.

1. what option I can use (besides of this issue) to allow any logged in role (eg. editor) to edit 1 single section 

Not sure what you're talking about, its not possible to allow a specific user/usergroup to edit one section, what would the point of that be. You can either use the DMS editor or you can't. The functionality to allow users to edit one section would just be pointless and overcomplicated. I can't really see why this would be wanted or even used.

You're the only user so far to report any kind of problem with these settings. If more users start to struggle then I will add it to my list of things to do.