Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sauronblue

Changes not saving w.o publishing / no clear box display?

sauronblue

It's now letting me start a thread, so here is what I posted under another q:

For whatever reason, I cannot post new topics, tho that's why I signed up, but this q is closest to my own after searching. I have the free dms, and I have been going crazy trying to use it. It's been 2 days of placing things how I want them, only to have them erase when I reset the page to view changes. Same effect when using browser refresh, the refresh right at the section you're editing in the lower panel, or the main dms refresh at the top right of the lower pane. The page always shows that it's saving each change as I make it, (next to that last refresh button, or in the middle of the page)but when refreshed manually, all is reverted to default, and only the text I was referred back to WP to enter are still how I left them. I went ahead and published to try that, and the changes seem to stick now, but I don't want to publish every change I make before I'm sure that's what I want, especially when sometimes I can't even get to the point of refreshing, it'll just reset on it's own, which means I can't even line everything up first, then publish - If I want to be sure not to lose my work, I've gotta use publish like an auto-save to lock in every step while trying to design my page. I am on 1.1.6 and wp 3.8.1

PS, I'm also wondering why I can't seem to remove the bg fill color with the boxed style, while I have no issues doing it in full-width style. Any ideas?

James B

Hi there, I've responded on the other thread you posted relating to the first issue.

Regarding the boxed layout, do you mean you don't want the color to go behind the main content area? So it just displays the background color on either side of the content area and the content area has its own color? Or you want to remove the background area color to the page completely?

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

sauronblue

Hey James. With this question, what I'm saying is: when I use a full-width layout, I have no issues with bg fills, but when I choose boxed layout, it only lets me use transparent area fill. Not the page bg, the bg color for that colunm or media box. If I select boxed style layout, then choose contrast color and default text, it switches to full width areas, instead of the slim boxes I had. Why don't I seem to be able to make a boxed layout that doesn't require visitors to strain to read text overlaid onto an image?

Let me repost my previous q'n'a from the other thread for clarity:

For whatever reason, I cannot post new topics, tho that's why I signed up, but this q is closest to my own after searching. I have the free dms, and I have been going crazy trying to use it. It's been 2 days of placing things how I want them, only to have them erase when I reset the page to view changes. Same effect when using browser refresh, the refresh right at the section you're editing in the lower panel, or the main dms refresh at the top right of the lower pane. The page always shows that it's saving each change as I make it, (next to that last refresh button, or in the middle of the page)but when refreshed manually, all is reverted to default, and only the text I was referred back to WP to enter are still how I left them. I went ahead and published to try that, and the changes seem to stick now, but I don't want to publish every change I make before I'm sure that's what I want, especially when sometimes I can't even get to the point of refreshing, it'll just reset on it's own, which means I can't even line everything up first, then publish - If I want to be sure not to lose my work, I've gotta use publish like an auto-save to lock in every step while trying to design my page. I am on 1.1.6 and wp 3.8.1

Hi there, as a free user you'll only be able to post in http://forum.pagelines.com/forum/41-pagelines-lite-free/

Once you've seen the saving wheel stop spinning you can refresh the page via the refresh icon to preview it before publishing. But you will need to publish the page to get the changes to stick before moving onto something else. Each element you have in the section options has a refresh icon next to it you can use to preview the specific change on the element you're working on. Each time you make a change, to ensure its saving/setting click in the admin panel somewhere to see the spinning saving icon in the top right, wait until that finishes saving before moving on.

I'm saying that even after I see the spinning wheel , and it tells me that dms is saving, it pops back up to a blank screen. I have solved this by publishing every change I make before refreshing, and that has worked, but if I just want to try things out, and refresh to see how it looks, I run the risk of losing my progress. I'm saying, forget the browser refresh button or leaving the page and coming back. I'm right here, working hard, and then poof! Sometimes I would see the changes stick for a few refreshes, then, just as I'm getting comfortable that the bug is over and I'm almost done, I make another change, refresh, and POW! back to blank, with my text that was entered in the WP dashboard and the default post section (that I always delete) is back on the right of the page, but nothing else

Thanks for your time!

James B

Hi there,

So this is in the section options for the color, like the section area styling drop down?

Can you snap a screen shot of the current settings of that area for us and a link to the live page so we can see whats coming up in the inspector on the live page. 

Regarding the second issue, that is strange. We've had some other people report something similar but the team haven't been able to replicate, so we're left thinking it could be down to caching with the host. If you're able to record a screencast of this happening we'll be able to pass over to the dev team to take a look. In the meantime who is your host? Do you know if that have any kind of caching enabled on the server at all? If you could enable the debug option inside settings > advanced from the DMS control panel for us so we can check out the server settings to see if anything is displaying in there.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

sauronblue

Somehow this bug has stopped, at least the last couple times that I tried it, but so you understand the issue; When I would choose "boxed layout" as the Layout display, It automatically changed the Area theme styling to transparent bg. When I would then try to adjust the bg to be cotrast colors with default text, it would auto-switch back to full-width styling. I was unable to combine boxed layout with contrast colors under the content. 

I would need a video capture to show you the other issue, which has lessened, but not stopped. While working, I make changes, and it shows; either in the little progress bar next to the publish button, or in big print in the main window that it's saving I'll make a few changes like this, trying to get things just right, then , one click of the refresh or one change that causes a refresh will see me looking at the site as last published. All my changes will be gone. Very often, I will try to add a layout section, watch the saving changes and refreshing animation, then there will be no new section added. this still happens consistently, sometimes 5-10x in a row when attempting this action. I've not logged off or even closed the page. At first it would set to default, but now it never goes past my last published page. I shouldn't have to publish to save a temporary change while I'm working. 

My final issue is with text in boxes. When I try to put a space, or hit enter to drop text to a new line, there is no representation for that on the page. In other words, what I set up as:

"Pricing:

apples                    1.00

oranges                  1.25

kiwi                           .60"

comes out as:

"Pricing: apples 1.00 oranges: 1.25 kiwi: .60"

It wont even show 2 spaces, only one, no matter how I try to separate the characters. And I guess we're supposed to add html to affect text attributes other than size(bold, underline, font, etc), but it would've been nice if font/type/color was included as dropdown for text boxes, even if not for media and other boxes. Just like I think there should be a few options for image size in a media box - even a sm/ md/ lg/ custom type dropdown. 

sauronblue

As I continue working today, I have another issue. In line with the issue with saving changes, other changs seem to rendomly undo themselves. There was an edit to a page that stuck, when I'm sure I didn't publish it, but I blamed myself anyways- must've not noticed, I said. The choices I had for default bg color and text have changed from the specific blue that I chose, and copied into PS to make custom buttons and images with that blue theme. Now I've gotta figure out the exact colors I had so that I can match my theme again. This is becoming very frustrating, having my work undone after I've gone thru the trouble of creating things how I want. Not to mention, how can I be sure of what visitors will see if formatting just changes around without notice? My site is NEFieldhouses.com, if that helps anything

sauronblue

As I continue working today, I have another issue. In line with the issue with saving changes, other changs seem to rendomly undo themselves. There was an edit to a page that stuck, when I'm sure I didn't publish it, but I blamed myself anyways- must've not noticed, I said. The choices I had for default bg color and text have changed from the specific blue that I chose, and copied into PS to make custom buttons and images with that blue theme. Now I've gotta figure out the exact colors I had so that I can match my theme again. This is becoming very frustrating, having my work undone after I've gone thru the trouble of creating things how I want. Not to mention, how can I be sure of what visitors will see if formatting just changes around without notice? My site is NEFieldhouses.com, if that helps anything

I just wrote another 10 min worth of text under that bginning, but it didn't show up. I'm starting to think theres a ghost in my pc, I can't even ask my questions now, this is beyond frustrating!!! I don't have the temperment to re-write that. I'll ask help on that later, i guess

James B

I think the best thing going forward would be to do a quick screen cast for us using something like jing - http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html so we can see first hand what you're setting in the section options and how it's being changed.

If you could also enable the debug checkbox in settings > advanced so we can see the server setup and update to the latest version 1.1.7 which had some minor bug fixes.

James B

sauronblue

I got the screen capture software. I took a first 5min video, but was only able to repeat the event once. You can see me placing elements onto the page, and the first 2-column layout that I put disappears after dropping it. In this instance, it only happened once, but imagine that repeating ad nauseam, as it has at times. I also took a screen cap of the text box title showing up after erasing the text, shutting down the whole pc, and loading back up. After reloading and realizing my previous changes were not sticking, I refreshed the page, but nothing seems to get my published change to take effect - yet this shouldn't even need a refresh to show up. I enabled the bug reporter, but see no box, where is this data? I'll try to get better info as I have a chance

link to video: http://screencast.com/t/ZDg3NzM3Nm

link to image: http://screencast.com/t/lKg8WOQAsq5

sauronblue

Ok, the video link didn't work, I somehow never uploaded the vid, so that link was from the training tutorial. I repeated the process, and again only had on instance where a 2-column layout didn't stick at about 2:35. It proves that what I'm describing is happening, but 1) it doesn't always happen during the 5min timer for free vid captures, 2) it has gotten better since installing the update on tuesday morning, and even since first publishing a page. Before my first publish, I was ready to cancel inmotion and go back to vistaprint all together, but after publishing it got MUCH better for some reason

second vid link: http://screencast.com/t/lAKUapQSI8

James B

Hi there, once the debug checkbox is active you'll be able to view the debug information at by adding /?pldebug to the end of your site url. However going to this url its showing that the button isn't active, is it showing as active still in your DMS control panel.

Who is your host? Do you have a local install/setup with DMS installed that you are able to test this out on as well or just the live site?

James B

sauronblue

Hi there, once the debug checkbox is active you'll be able to view the debug information at by adding /?pldebug to the end of your site url. However going to this url its showing that the button isn't active, is it showing as active still in your DMS control panel.

Who is your host? Do you have a local install/setup with DMS installed that you are able to test this out on as well or just the live site?

I dunno what you mean by 'having a local install/setup'. I've installed the plugin to my wp, but other than working online, I know of no way to edit it. I went to that url, but there was nothing I could see either, though the radio box is still ticked. 

http://screencast.com/t/o15CoPTYtWoC

James B

Hi there, some developers create a local setup on their machine for wordpress, so you have a fully functioning version on your hard drive where you can install/test etc.

I've checked your debug information, this all seems fine there's nothing odd showing in the server setup http://nefieldhouses.com/?pldebug

I will report your information to the core team, I know they've made changes in the next major release for how sections are added/saved to try and improve this situation. In the meantime just make sure that when placing a section you can see the highlight box in the layout as to where it's being positioned and publish/save to ensure the item you've placed in the layout gets saved correctly.

James B

sauronblue

I've been waiting for my site changes to update all weekend, since around noon friday. I'm new to this, so not sure how long it takes. Called my host this morning who said it's almost instant. Ran some tests, was able to create a new page in wp dashboard that showed up instantly, so the prob must be with DMS. Please help me get this site running as it should. I've published my changes numerous times, in an attempt to get them to show up. Why has it been over 72hrs with no updates to my page?

greenfly

hello @sauronblue 

Could you create an admin logon for your site and send the credentials to hello @ pagelines dot com - please include the link to this forum optic in the email.

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

sauronblue

login sent. I hope you find the answer in there 

greenfly

i just watched your video (there was no sound - are you aware of this?) 

at no point during the video did you publish any changes. I just logged on to your site and you seem to have made changes without publishing anything. The light is red.

Let's start with the basic things first - are you clicking publish after you have made changes to your site? i don't want to click publish for you in case you are working on this at the moment. If you are working on this can you let us know when you have finished so we can work on this for you.

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

sauronblue

i just watched your video (there was no sound - are you aware of this?) 

at no point during the video did you publish any changes. I just logged on to your site and you seem to have made changes without publishing anything. The light is red.

Let's start with the basic things first - are you clicking publish after you have made changes to your site? i don't want to click publish for you in case you are working on this at the moment. If you are working on this can you let us know when you have finished so we can work on this for you.

You're mixing issues here. The video was to show that there are times when I'm making unpublished changes (while building the site, not necessarily my final choice, just trying things out) when I cannot get elements to stick when I place them, or after things are placed, they disappear after making a new change. That problem can be described as "unpublished changes revert when DMS attempts to save draft". The bug I am really bothered by right now is: "After publishing changes, site does not update". There are no unpublished changes - you can note this by the green circle next to the DMS and crosshair at the top of the edit bar. go ahead and push publish, it doesn't update for me, maybe it will for you. Publish the page, it will show as if all is fine, you can view the page perfectly in your browser, but if you view the page in a different browser or log out of wp, the changes are not there, it is the previous version of the site. Cannot get it to update since friday morning. I hope you can understand now

ne1-150x150.pngThis is how it looks when you go to the page

ne2-150x150.pngThis is how I want it, with an audio player, and small image under logo - and how it looks when I open the editor

ne3-150x150.pngAnd here is the editor open showing a clearly green button with audio player visible

greenfly

when i logged on to your site the circle was red. this shows you have unpublished changes. http://screencast.com/t/yWpyd18hKPc9

I am logging on to the same site as you are so could you provide a screenshot now when you logon and see the green light as it shows as red for me. 

sauronblue

ok, I think I'm at the root of the problem. When I look at my pages in the wp dashboard, there are 5 pages

help3-150x150.png

I always edit them by going to "view", because edit brings up the wp editor. I also use the page id#'s to navigate btw pages while I'm working.I've come to know the welcome page as page 2, and the home page(still under construction, so welcome is temporary home) is id 41. I now notice that there is a page with no id, just the base url, that does have a red circle, but I have no idea what this page is. It looks like page 2 did before my last changes, but it is not available in the list of pages in my wp dashboard, so how did I get this page, and how do I make "welcome", or page id 2 the default home page?

I'm sorry the pics are so tiny, i'm not sure how to best use ur forum tools. they are also stored in my media library of the website, if you want to view them there

greenfly

so did you click publish? is this working now? 

the idea of DMS is that you use the front end of your site to handle the design of your site. if you are not doing this then you are not using DMS correctly. 

Please start with the userguides on how to use DMS http://docs.pagelines.com/configure/visual-editor-overview

sauronblue

I don't understand why there is another page other than the 5 listed on my dashboard as my pages. I "quick edited" my welcome page to be the main page with no parent, and updated this change in wp, but I'm still seeing the other "main page", and I don't understand why. The page that was as the home page is unlisted in wp, has no revision historyu or edit options thru wp, so what is it, and how do I affect that page "officially", bc there is no reference to it in wp?

Have you guys given up on me?

sauronblue

Sorry, did't see that we had run over to a 2nd page.

I don't get what you mean by me not using DMS for the front of the site. I clearly explained how I use dms since my first post, and while I greatly appreciate all the help, it gets frustrating having to re-explain things that I've spent paragraphs saying already, and really have no relevance to my question. DMS has no page listing, so does is asking why a page doesn't show up in the only list of pages spur you to counsel me to use DMS for the front? You've personally logged into my site using a pw i gave you, You may have noticed that the wp page edit areas are completely blank, bc I do it all in DMS. 

I followed your link, and I already follow all of the instruction found there. The only new info would be the html and css tuts. I did not publish the unneeded changes in that page, they had nothing to do with what I wanted. I had to recreate all the work I'd already done on my other page, then I published it. Before that, publishing the "welcome" page had always affected that change, but now it's something different. Please address the following; If I'm just missing something out of ignorance, then please educate me as to why there exists a page on my site that does not appear in the list of all pages in my site? Why is there no way to view the details of this page, i.e., published status, list of revisions, core html text input, etc.? Why does it say I have 5 pages if I have 6?

Either way, this doesn't invalidate all the rest of my issues, which I still have no answers for, so please don't just take the stance that I'm some idiot that can't use the system correctly and abandon helping me.

James B

Hi there,

You have 5 static pages that you've created - http://screencast.com/t/xkSX5JU8a5M

You then have a dynamic page that WordPress creates for your posts, this is your blog page. By default Wordpress inserts a dynamic blog page as your homepage. When you first create a site, you have to set up a static home page and a post/blog page if you don't want the blog to display as your homepage. This additional page you are seeing is your blog page.

You set the static homepage for your site in settings > reading from the wp admin menu. You have to click the radio button next to static homepage in order for it to be used, currently its still using the dynamic posts page - http://screencast.com/t/nJSqmRsCx

James B

sauronblue

Thanks for explaining that. Man, there's a pretty steep learning curve from simple builder sites, like vistaprint, but a good trade off for great results if you can navigate this maze. Most of my other issues have reduced in occurrence to minor annoyances, so I guess I'll consider this wrapped up. Thanks to everyone for their help and patience!