Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmad

DMS 1.1.7 Updates?

jmad

Simon_P

Thanks for the update.

Regarding...CORE - Add responsive classes to body tag.

So what does this actually mean for users?   Are there responsive classes built into DMS?

Simon

Yes it means responsive type classes are added to the main body classes for developers to use for theming.

They are res-phone, res-tablet and res-desktop

jmad

Alright,  I feel like I'm missing a resource piece with DMS.  In addition to the three you provided Is there a list of  classes and what they do somewhere?  I make most of my sites responsive using @media but if there are already classes added in DMS that's excellent.  I've found a few classes woven into the documentation (zmt for example) but haven't found a full list. 

Thanks.

James B

Hi there, browser specific classes are added to the body class via an option panel in the Pro Tools plugin. A list of the current ones can be found at http://docs.pagelines.com/tutorials/browser-specific-css

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

jmad

@James_B 

These are just the browser specific classes which is helpful.  Is there a full list of all classes built in to DMS and what they do, helper classes (formatting), responsive classes, etc?

From a user perspective it's nice to have those in one place for reference. 

Danny

There isn't a resource for all these classes, as they're not intended for users, but developers.

Please search our forums, before posting!

jmad

So paying for a developers license doesn't grant you access to an organized list of classes and what they do?    Sorry but that's crap.

Well documented themes/frameworks let designer/developers make the most of the framework.  Having to search for information about the tools and how they work isn't cool.

Danny

Users paying for a developer license, doesn't mean they're developers. Experienced developers 99.9% of the time, do not require documentation unless it's something specific like creating sections, API etc...

All our code is on GitHub, most experienced developers will view the code there or here - http://phpxref.pagelines.com/nav.html?index.html

Those classes are simple to use and don't really require documentation.

If the body of the site is 480 or less, then the pl-res-phone will be loaded, if the body of the site is 1024 or above 480 the res-tablet is loaded and anything greater is res-desktop.

Also, when writing the documentation, I researched hundreds of websites documentation and none of them go provide a list of classes used with descriptions of how they work.

jmad

Your product is Drag and Drop, no coding required for beautiful websites so it's clearly targeting all range of users.  I'm a designer not a true developer...part of why I'm using DMS.  You are trying to tell me that I wouldn't have need for those classes?  Your product isn't targeted at developers so you should supply users with all information possible.

I'll look on GitHub for this information. 

I don't know what websites' documentation you researched but I could give multiple examples of frameworks/themes that come with solid documentation that include classes and information to tell any level of user how to make the most out of the Framework.  Studiopress awesome support and documentation, Avada Theme by ThemeFusion, and X-theme by Themeco to name a few.  

The Pagelines team seems to be developing a very powerful and flexible platform but only want to provide users with half the information to really utilize the framework.  DMS might need to invest resources in a true Technical Writer to help develop documentation from a user's perspective.  Having  to click between multiple sites to get information about animation classes, making any section full-width, etc isn't efficient and it leaves users wondering why those items aren't in the DMS documentation.

Danny

DMS doesn't require any code, you can build a fully functional and awesome website without any coding. I have done it myself.

However, you will require code, if you wish to customize the elements, that isn't part of our support scope. Myself and our staff members, already go beyond what our support scope is and provide CSS support.

I already have a ton of notes on what should be included in the docs and will be improving them in the future with more guides and covering all the sections.

Danny

jmad - There is a issue tracker on our documentation via GitHub, if you post your ideas there (please use bullets, no walls of text and a brief description of what you feel should be included) we can take them into consideration.

https://github.com/pagelines/Docs/issues

jmad

Danny

Thanks.  DMS is clearly one of the most flexible frameworks and I'd personally just like it reach it's potential.

jmad

Okay I am trying but this link http://phpxref.pagel...html?index.html doesn't really take me to the classes...I've poked around in the file structure for a while and haven't ran across anything about classes or how these would be utilized.   I saw some classes under includes and other areas but not these.  

I understand if body of site is 480 or less then pl-res-phone will be loaded but what does pl-res-phone do?  Is it automatically applied or do I have to apply the class and if I do what happens?  If this is something that could save me from writing my own media queries that's really helpful and probably would be for other users.  

It makes sense to me that any classes that could be used by designers/developers/users should be included in the documentation and we shouldn't have to dig for them.  From a marketing perspective I would think you would want to promote them and how they can benefit users.  As it is we have to search the documentation sections (although having references to the classes where applicable is helpful and shouldn't be removed) but it would be helpful to have these in one place.

Example:

Class

ntm - no top margin

zbm - zero bottom margin

zpa - zero padding all (removes top, right, bottom, left padding)

zpr - zero padding right (removes all right padding as applied)

Danny

Yes a site can be built using no code but they will look nearly identical other than colors and font.  Developers/designers/basic users paying $30/month or whichever plan probably don't want their sites all looking the same.  I know it's not easy to document something as broad as DMS.  Also, the documentation currently available has certainly seen some modifications and improvements.  Users do appreciate and respond to it.  

Thinking your users will want to be poking around in GitHub for information like this is probably a little out of touch and certainly not a premium type of approach...sort of like thinking End User Clients don't want access to be able to change photos or homepage text.  

Danny

If you view here you can find information on the zmt, zmb etc.. classes - http://phpxref.pagelines.com/nav.html?index.html

You can also find them here - https://github.com/pagelines/Docs/blob/master/tutorials/html-css-utilities.md

I understand what you're saying and I have made a note of it, to try and include all useful classes into our documentation.

Also the res-X classes are automatically applied to the body class, you can see this by using the inspector and/or reducing your browsers width.

If you leave your feedback on our docs tracker via github that would be great. As my memory isn't the greatest.

jmad

Thanks.

Danny

No problem.