Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmad

Ipad Display Issues

jmad

On an iPad (I think 1st generation) running iOS 5.1.1, DMS crashes the site and causes block loading.  I've managed to get the problem to repeat on newer versions of the ipad but not consistently.  I've tested this on a couple of sites and it seems to be a problem with DMS and Rev Slider. 

Initially I thought this was a problem with how I was implementing Rev Slider in a text box.  I was using the Rev Slider plugin and then using the shortcode in a Full Text Box section.  The result was that the site would crash Safari while loading.  If you tried to reload the site then it would start appearing in sort of a real blocky fashion (a piece here and there with white and gray blocks thrown in).  After several reloads the site would appear but not really function.

The slider was "super" important to the client so we ended up rebuilding in a different theme/framework and the Rev Slider functions without issue on the same iPad running iOS 5.1.1.   

I'm planning on using DMS as my main Framework...so I spent time learning how fully utilize the DMS Rev Slider section so I wouldn't need to purchase Rev Slider for sites and I hoped using the section would resolve the reliability issue.  

However, on madsky1.wpengine.com the DMS Rev Slider crashes the site.  I got it to improve (not crash every time by minimizing the photo size).  However, it's still doing it some.  Is there anyway to resolve this?

As a side note, why is "Pagelines" added to every media item uploaded through the DMS Editor?  Is there a technical reason?  If not it's not very convenient for users.  If I want to add one quick image that I already have titled like I want it, having to go rename it after upload is a waste of time.  I realize that I can upload through the Media uploader and then the Titles remain the same.   It would be much more convenient for users if the Media wasn't prefixed with Pagelines.

James B

Hi there, why were you using the revolution slider in a text box instead of using the revslider section in DMS? To get it to be less that full width? I don't have access to an ipad at the moment to check but I know the textbox does strip out some html and uses wpautop for formating so depending on how the code is entered into the text box it could be the cause of the issue. Was it definetly a textbox you were using or the full box extension made by one of the developers - https://github.com/pagelines/DMS/issues/537

The Pagelines shortcode prefix to the images is so when you migrate or move the site the image path is saved in the site settings via the json file. So when you upload it to the new site its automatically updated to the new url, you don't have to go through and manually change all the urls to the new site address or use a plugin like velvet blues to correct. 

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

jmad

@James_B

I'm no longer using the fullbox or textbox for Rev Slider but the Rev Slider section.  On the iPad I mentioned DMS loads really chucky...in block sections and Rev Slider crashes with more than a three photos and size of photo can't be large at all.

This isn't an issue in other themes so I'm thinking it's something with DMS.  You can compare my live DMS site madskydesign.com to madsky.wpengine.com (based on another theme).  On newer ipads it's not as much of an issue but still loads blocky sometimes.  

Is there some setting in DMS about how content should load that I need to be familiar with?

I also looked at the two sites above on several other mobile devices (iphone5c, iphone5, iphone4s, samsung galaxy skyrocket, ipad mini) the Rev Slider doesn't make them all crash but the load appearance is blocky.  The first section with the image background loads a black area (I'm assuming that because I have a section style "Image Dark: Embossed Light Text") then the photo comes in after.  I thought this might have something to do with the section style but on madsky1.wpengine.com I have no section style selected just an image and the same thing happens.

jmad

James B

Any idea on this issue?  I'm thinking this has to do with DMS as I notice it loads the photo lasts even on desktop sites.  Could this be something todo with Lazy Load?

Simon
DMS doesn't ship with lazyload, if you have added it somehow try removing it.

As a side note, why is "Pagelines" added to every media item uploaded through the DMS Editor?  Is there a technical reason?  If not it's not very convenient for users.  If I want to add one quick image that I already have titled like I want it, having to go rename it after upload is a waste of time.  I realize that I can upload through the Media uploader and then the Titles remain the same.   It would be much more convenient for users if the Media wasn't prefixed with Pagelines.

The prefix is only there so you can see what files were uploaded via the dms editor. The prefix is not EVER used anywhere else.

jmad

Under Pagelines Pro tools there is a section called PageLines Lazyload and that's what I'm referring too.  I disabled it but it didn't make a difference.  

Danny

Im at a loss as to what you issue is, I have loaded your site on my iPad running iOS7 (why you're still using iOS 5?) and the site doesn't crash.

So is the issue in regards to crashing resolved, also what is your issue with the lazy loader ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

jmad

@ Danny  On iOS 5 ... Because it's an older iPad (for testing) that can't be upgraded.  

I don't know what the issue is that's why I am asking you guys.  Regardless of Rev Slider or not, parts of the site load oddly.   Here is another example.  On madskydesign.com (DMS site) the top section below the menu loads with a black background then the image fills.  However, on madsky.wpengine.com (non DMS) the section loads all at once.

Maybe this isn't an issue.

Danny

Hmm, not sure why the black background color is doing that, it could well be related to your host. When I choose the options you have and add an image to the section area, I do not have that problem.

What you could try is adding the following to your custom CSS and see if this prevents the black background from loading just before your image.

#pl_areaubce71 {
background: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);
}

Please search our forums, before posting!

jmad

I'm sure it's not the host as I've tried it on two different hosts.  I think it's todo with the fact that I have Image-Dark: Embossed Light Text as the Area Theme but I set it back to default and it didn't clear the issue.  

I'll try your suggestion.

jmad

Danny and Simon_P 

This issue was resolved with DMS2.  Can use Rev slider on sites now!  Really liking DMS2. 

greenfly

Good news - i will let the guys know :) 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"