Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mariettag

sidebar navigation position on mobile

mariettag

I'm having a problem where my left sidebar navigation shows up above the main content on a small screen like a mobile phone. Is there a way to make the left sidebar navigation show up below the main content without moving my sidebars to the right side?

greenfly

Can we see a link to your site where this is happening? 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

James B

Hi there,

Unfortunately not as the stacking order for the site follows the html hierarchy for the page. What you could do is hide the sidebar completely on the mobile layout that way the page content would show up directly under the header. 

If you want both to display in the mobile you could add the sidebar again in a columizer section below the page content so you have those widgets displaying twice on the page, once in the sidebar and once in the columnizer. Then using css, hide the sidebar on the mobile so only the columizer shows under the page content on the mobile and for the desktop do the opposite. Hide the columnizer section using css and leave the sidebar showing.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

mariettag

Is that just something about this theme that the stacking order is that way? I have seen other wp themes (like this one http://wordpress.org/themes/techism) that the left navigation moves below the content when on a smaller screen.

James B

Hi there, it depends on the setup they have for making their theme responsive. They could use a separate stylesheet for the mobile view etc. As far as I'm aware it's standard to stack the elements based on the html hierarchy. If you check out http://wp.smashingmagazine.com/2012/06/28/create-responsive-mobile-first-wordpress-theme/ the section labeled 'responsive layout options' explains the method DMS uses for stacking the layout and mentioned the sidebar on the left issue. 

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

James B

You're welcome.

James B