Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shaneoston72

LESS not compiling

shaneoston72

Website URL:
Framework Version:
WordPress Version:
Plugins in Use:
Server/Host:
Screenshots:
Details:

DMS version: 1.1.6

Wordpress version: 3.8.1

Plugins in use: DMS Professional Tools

Server/Host: mediatemple

Details: 

I have installed "Nick's Base Theme" from your website and activated it.  I then created style.less in ~/wp-content/themes/octoclean-base/.  

style.css in the same location reads: 

/*  
Theme Name: octoclean-base
Description: OctoClean companies base theme
Version: 1.0
Author: Shane Oston Stowe & Nicholas Lagrant Psomas
Author URI: 
Template: dms
*/

Any CSS or LESS I add to styles.less is not being compiled to style.css.  If I add CSS directly to style.css, the change works.  I have verified the permissions on the files (755). 

Can you help me figure out why the LESS is not compiling? 

Simon

Filename HAS to be style.less not styles.less

What less code have you added? If its invalid it wont get included.

shaneoston72

The file is named style.less.  The original post was a typo.  

My issue is simple... I have two files in the child theme -- style.css and style.less.  style.css has the aforementioned content only.  style.less has one CSS item as a test that is confirmed valid by placing the same in style.css. 

So, again, style.less is not compiling to style.css. 

Danny

Hi,

If your LESS CSS isn't compiling, you either have a plugin causing a conflict, an error in your code or your server configuration is causing an error.

Can you enable DMS Debug mode please and provide a link to your site.

Please search our forums, before posting!

shaneoston72

Refer to my initial post regarding plugins - only DMS tools installed.  

Server runs on a standard MediaTemple grid server.  What configuration is necessary to make LESS work? 

The code in the LESS file is: 

.navbar {
box-shadow:none;
}

body.display-full .pl-content {
max-width: 1280px;
border: 1px solid black;
}

This code works if it is the CSS file.  Removing from there and adding it LESS does not work.  

Note that this is a new install to which no work has been done.  We are testing all functionality before we start developing in earnest.  Also note that I spend two hours reading every LESS-related post on the forum; I tried every suggestion regarding LESS -- none worked.  While I am certain this is very simple fix, I just don't see it. 

Danny

OK, firstly you will want to get these addressed, which are present on your debug info.

PHP Open basedir restriction
Yes!
/nfs:/tmp:/usr/local:/etc/apache2/gs-bin

PHP Magic Quotes gpc
Yes! Deprecated as of PHP 5.3 and removed in PHP 5.4

Also, please contact our helpdesk and provide them with your sites URL, admin username and password, along with FTP access so they can try adding code to your style.less file.

hello at pagelines dot com

Please search our forums, before posting!

shaneoston72

Requested information provided to support. 

What should the settings be for the two referenced items from the debug?  I suppose I will have to reach out the host support; I will need to tell them what needs changed.  Please be as descriptive as possible. 

James B

Hi there,

PHP Open basedir restriction means the host has restricted files from being access if they are higher in the file system. The host can turn off this restriction so these files can be accessed.

PHP Magic Quotes gpc was a feature used in php for escaping data in quotes which is now no longer used. Your host can turn off magic quotes or better still, upgrade you to PHP 5.4 where this feature has been removed.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

shaneoston72

I fail to see how either one of these items has anything to do with LESS not working on our site... 

How do these affect LESS?  I do not change server configuration unless there is a compelling reason to do so.  

Let's not confuse the issue.  Unless there is a direct relationship between LESS inoperability and our server configuration, I will not change the server. 

So, please provide evidence of this relationship or, in the case it does not exist, redirect your attention to the issue of LESS not compiling on our site. 

Simon

firstly code in style.less does not get compiled and magic'd into the style.css file.

It gets added to the compiled css file loaded in the document head.

Nicks base theme is not part of PageLines.

By looking at your site there is a 1px black border around each content area, thats you're custom css.

James B

Just for info - The login credentials you send in via email allow us to access the site but the ftp says the password and username isn't correct. But as Simon said above the code from the style.less gets compiled into the main css file, were you expecting it to show in the child themes style.css are being compiled?

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B