Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

photomom86

How to Set Global Templates

photomom86

Ok after my last issue I've been working with the DMS theme and it's been going great. After I initially installed it I had to properly upload the pro tools plugin and then the theme needed updating. After all that it's been great. However, now I can't figure out how to set the layout template I have created to be on every post/page/category/tag/etc. essentially globally. I deleted all other templates and the one I created and am using is set to be global....but it isn't. Some of my posts/pages reflect the template and some are a default template. I've tried clearing my blog caches and my browser caches to see if that was the issue...it's not. Any help in the area would be great!

Danny

Hi,

Go to DMS Toolbar > Templates > Select your template via the Action button, from here you can select that template to be your Global template.

http://cl.ly/image/031w1140112V

Please search our forums, before posting!

photomom86

Hi, I did this already. I have deleted all other templates than the one I created and it currently has the little icon indicating that it is the global template but when I click on other posts or categories etc The layout reverts to the default (which as I said, has been deleted.)

James B

Hi there,

What page is the template being applied on? Category, Archive, Blog pages will all be on the same template, so making a change on one the others will follow etc. Single post pages have their own template so you'd also need to assign the template to that page as well.

Can you screenshot the settings you have in the control panel for the page the template isn't showing on. If you have pro tools active it will say in the wp admin bar at the top of the page the template that's being used on the page.

I think even if you delete the default template it will still apply as its written into the core code as a backup as if all templates were deleted the site would break if there was nothing to replace it etc.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

photomom86

Ok I've attached the screenshots. The "correct template" screenshot is my home page...this is how I want everything laid out but only a few individual posts are. Notice at the top it says "template: none" but toward the bottom the template is set to the "current sitewide default".

In the "incorrect template" screenshot the category is laid out as default DMS template.....not my template. Again at the top it says "template: none" and at the bottom the icon that stands for "current sidewide default" is there but obviously it's not "sitewide".

I just don't want to have to go through each post and set the template. "Sitewide" should mean sitewide but for some reason I can't get it to work that way.

I have cleared my browser and wordpress/dreamhost caches and that's not helping either.

Correct-Template.png

Incorrect-Template.png

photomom86

So...my blog pages and categories seem to be working with the template I made and saved and have set as "current sitewide default". And about 1% of my POSTS are showing the template. the majority of my POSTS are NOT using my template. Although there is an icon in the editor>templates that is a push pin and it says "current post type default"....but clearly it's not showing up on all posts. Someone PLEASE help me figure this out! 

also, at the top, in the wp admin bar, it ALWAYS says "template: none". ALWAYS.

James B

If you go into one of those posts and resave/publish does the layout revert to the one you're expecting?

The template:none message in the wp admin is an error in the Pro Tools Plugin, this has been reported to the core team.

Your images/screenshots don't seem to have saved above.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

photomom86

ok I think this is fixed though I have no idea how. 

James B

Keep us posted if you have any more issues.

James B