Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

suerama

Urgent problem: Custom code stopped working

suerama

This morning I switched the order of a couple of images in media boxes. A few minutes later, all of my custom code stopped functioning.

The code is all still there in my UI Custom CSS/Less area, but it's not taking effect. My color classes in particular are not working.  

I have a potential new client that saw the site this morning, I believe before the problem took place, and liked the site. He may be returning or his colleagues and need this fixed asap. Should I try putting custom code somewhere else?

My site: http://ramacommunications.net

I just noticed that it's not just my code that's not working. I'm using Viewer theme. In the Quotes section there is a color picker. I've chosen a light blue color for the background there, but it is not displaying either. The color comes up black instead.

greenfly

hello @suerama 

Could you enable debug in the visual editor please - Site Settings > Advanced 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

suerama

Done. 

And I was wrong about the footer. That's actually now in a default color as well. 

Thanks for your quick reply!

suerama

Now a band of light blue is appearing in my header area, though there is no component in there.

greenfly

ok - please do not make any more changes to your site. 

if you can create an admin logon for your site and send the credentials to hello at pagelines dot com along with a link to this forum topic and we can take a look at this further for you. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

greenfly

I have your logon - taking a look for you right away 

greenfly

Hello @suerama 

There are a number of problems evident from the outset. 

You CSS has some errors. Run your custom CSS code through a validator and fix the errors and your CSS styling will work again. One incorrectly added bit of code here can break the style on your site.

You can find the Validator here - use the direct input tab and paste in the code.  http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

You have a lot of plugins installed and 20 of these require updates. http://screencast.com/t/dkmu469X2RG If you are not using any of the plugins anymore be sure to remove them. 

suerama

I updated the plugin list. But unfortunately the DMS UI access to the site is now almost completely gone. All that is left is a support area with buttons for the forum and DMS documentation.  I can't even access the custom code there anymore. So I can't edit that code there.

greenfly

I just logged back in to your site and see the following http://screencast.com/t/MPwkvmXC

& the backend looks like this http://screencast.com/t/ZiP5YxHIcuqk

Do you see something different?

suerama

When logged in, the front end looks different than yours! There's almost nothing there:  http://screencast.com/t/pKVa5HcHNhI 

The back end Wordpress UI looked the same as yours, in the pagelines area: http://screencast.com/t/mjQt24uIcfDU

I tried removing all of the css in that Fallback area and saving it blank, to see if that might fix things. It did not. So I returned the css there.

Do you have any suggestions? I'm thinking maybe I left too many stray pieces of code when I originally switched the site from Pagelines Framework to DMS. I'm about ready to start to recreate the site from scratch. But it would be so much work.  I would love to be able to at least see and copy the info in my DMS UI areas, as you can. If I cannot do anything else, I thought I might ask you if you would be kind enough to take some screenshots for me. . .   

greenfly

Hello @suerama 

No need to recreate your site from scratch. i just checked again and the site is still how i recorded in my screenshots. 

please close your browser and all tabs. Clear your browser history and cache from the 'beginning of time' and then try logging in again. 

suerama

I'm wondering if I should deactivate Viewer and DMS and then re-upload another copy of these and activate them and see what happens.

suerama

I REALLY have appreciated your quick assistance! Thank you!

I did as instructed, deleting all history,  and now the DMS UI is visible to me in Chrome. 

As a test, I deleted ALL of my custom css, and saved. But my color has not returned where it has been chosen with a ui color picker in Viewer Quotes, so the problem does not appear resolved.

For tonight, as a temporary fix. I'm probably going to upload some background color images to substitute for my background color classes.That'll probably make the site decent enough so I can remove the splash page. 

Then I'd like to see what other steps can be taken to get back to, or rather, create a well-coded stable site. 

Even before this happened I was seeing some troublesome issues. If I left the site up for awhile the sans-serif Google fonts would change to some default serif font, then return to Raleway when I hovered over them. It was weird. And the height of the Flipper that I had changed with CSS would be right, then revert to the original height, then be right again depending on the moment. 

My question is, of course, "what happened?" and "can I trust DMS?".  Since I started on it, DMS has been buggier than Pagelines, often not saving changes, not reflecting text font sizes I set in the ui at all. But I could deal with those issues. This, however has been, and remains a more troubling problem.  

I'm wondering if I should try one of the other customization methods. . . 

and I'm wondering if I left too many bad areas of code when I switched from Pagelines format, somehow. I followed the migration instructions, but boy, were there a lot of errors listed in validator.

Thanks again. I'll probably be in touch!

suerama

Oh, progress! I just added a color class to the custom css area and it worked!

I'll proceed step by step now. And check all my css in the validator. I think this is solved!  Thanks again.

James B

Excellent, let us know how you get on. Thank you for updating the thread.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

brookdalecenter

I have an urgent problem! My website just went crazy on me. There is duplication of content on the background of almost every page and some links are not working! Please help! this is the website for my company. I will get fired if this is not working! 

Simon

I have an urgent problem! My website just went crazy on me. There is duplication of content on the background of almost every page and some links are not working! Please help! this is the website for my company. I will get fired if this is not working! 

Please start a new post, and please include some basic info.