Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmad

Columns or No Columns Best Practices

jmad

Regarding layout in DMS.  

Often I use the column layout component and then add other components such as text boxes and media boxes inside those columns.  I do this really for padding reasons as the columns give everything a bit of a padding around the edge of content and keeps content very evenly spaced.  Sometimes I don't use columns so I can reduce padding/margins to zero and have images very close.   I have had a little trouble getting @media and hide items to work using the columns approach.

My question is...is it better to leave components outside of columns have them inside of columns or does it matter?  Will one method use more resources and increase load and speed over the other?

James B

I personally always place my sections inside columns for the same reason, I also find it easier to position items using the column editing options.

What css are you using for the @media code? Even though the item is in a column you should still be able to hide using the column id and/or the section class for the content inside it.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

jmad

Thanks for the information.  I got it to work. 

Danny

Thanks for informing us the issue has been resolved.

Please search our forums, before posting!