Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tiltcreative

Moving wordpress DMS site with duplicator plugin - 404 errors

tiltcreative

I am trying to move a site I set up on a temporary account to it's new host, using the duplicator plugin. This is not working correctly - it is giving me a 404 error at the end when I go to the new site, which, when I look for FAQ on that, says it is caused by redirects. I don't think I have set up any redirects in my site, but thought I would check if the theme uses them somehow?

Is there an easier way to move a site over? I thought this would work well but am just running into problems and don't want to recreate the whole thing. Would it make sense to convert it to the 2014 theme temporarily just to get it moved, or would that not matter.

Thanks for any help!

James B

Hi there, I've not used duplicator before, but usually if you're getting 404's after moving the site it will be down to the permalinks. Try going to settings>permalinks and resave the permalink structure. Then refresh the site.

Does duplicator automatically change all the urls when you're moving the site over? If not you might need to use something like velvet blues to change the site urls to the new domain.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

tiltcreative

Duplicator was great, once I got it to work. The problem seemed to be due to the fact that my browser had unzipped the archive file it made, which caused an extra file to be created (_MACOSX). Once I set Safari not to unzip the file and went through the process again, it worked without a hitch, super easy. All the permalinks are good.

Thanks for your help.

James B

Excellent, glad you got resolved. Thank you for updating the thread.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B