Sign in to follow this  
heshiro

Post Thumbnail

heshiro

Hi, I want to be able to include a picture for each post on my post page. I've noted that in making a post, I can set a picture to be the "Feature Image" and that's what I have now on my site: www.monster-theory.com However, I would like the image/thumbmail to be the width of the blog post excerpt like this theme linked below: http://www.templateaccess.com/wpdemos/wp219/?page_id=2 In the this example, the post title is first, then post information is below that, and then the posts feature image with the post excerpt below it. Also, because I will be posting videos and stuff, Can I make the feature image a vimeo or youtube embeded clip? so that people can just play the video straight from where it is on the posts page and then maxmize to watch it? How would I got about making this happen? Thanks!

heshiro

Hi Bryan, I tried making a post with the image at the top of the post. but it doesnt show up in the post preview. You can see this in the newest post titled "Overtime: S01E02" which has a picture at the top of the post. However, again, it doesn't show it. I'll try a plugin as you suggested if there's noway to do this within platform pro. Thanks, -AL

cmunns

I would start by going to SETTINGS > MEDIA and setting the thumbnail dimensions there. To test you may have to upload a fresh thumbnail. If that doesn't work we can change the function directly in the loop.

heshiro

Hi Adam, I tried what you said. It works, the feature thumbnail now stretches wide across the content area. Check out the sunrise picture I set as the feature image. www.monster-theory.com Now there are 4 other items: 1) The title of the post is supposed to be "Test 3" but it does not show up. 2) The excerpt text is nowhere to be found. 3) There is significant space between the bottom of the thumb nail and the beginning of the next post which I'm not sure what it causing it. 4) The left hand side of feature image does not align with the line coming from the left hand side of the Feature Slider. I'm not sure what is causing this. I used the same width amount in the settings->media->thumbnail setting as what my layout editor which says that this "main column" is 766 pixels (966 pixels total content area = 766px + 200px for sidebar). I also tried setting the image to align left in the feature image settings with no change. My media settings is as follows: Thumbnail size: Width 766 Height 0. Thanks for the help!

cmunns

Yes this is some CSS stuff and mods we'll have to make. The thumbnail is pushing a lot of content off to the side. In your custom css area of the theme settings paste this ` .fpost .post-header { margin-left:0 !important; } ` ` .post-thumb { margin-right:0 !important; } `

heshiro

Hi, Adam, I tried the recommendation above and all that happened was make my content area go from 966 pixels wide to 972 pixels wide..Any thoughts? Thanks!

bryan-hadaway

Let's try: `#column-wrap{margin-left:-15px}` Thanks, Bryan

heshiro

Oh wow. we're definitely getting there guys, Its aligned perfectly after adding Bryan's code. Also, the post title is now shows up, along with the excerpt code. Last thing would be make the post title and post information above the feature image and keep the exerpt at the bottom where it is now. Thanks so much guys!

bryan-hadaway

Quick tip, you should bring your thumb size down to 715px wide if you want them to fit nicely. Switching the thumb and title will be tricky and will require hard editing a template file. Go to: Appearance > Editor > template.postloop.php PLEASE BACKUP THIS CODE FIRST Then find these lines of code: `<div class="post-meta fix"> <?php if(pagelines_show_thumb( get_the_ID() )): // Thumbnails ?> <div class="post-thumb" style="margin-right:-<?php echo $thumb_space;?>px"> <a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" rel="bookmark" title="<?php _e('Permanent Link To', 'pagelines');?> <?php the_title_attribute();?>"> <?php the_post_thumbnail('thumbnail');?> </a> </div>` and move them to just above: `<?php if(pagelines_show_excerpt( get_the_ID() )): // Post Excerpt ?>` Let me know how it works. Thanks, Bryan

heshiro

Hi Bryan, Thanks for the help. I found another way to do it! Basically, this is what I did with Adam's help. 1) Go into Settings -> Media, and change width of thumbnails to be width of my main column (go to layout editor). 2) Go to PlatformPro settings -> Customer Code -> Custom CSS, and just put in: #column-wrap{margin-left:-15px} 3) Create Post -> Visual Editor -> Upload/Insert Image into post. 4) Go into HTML Editor -> Copy image html code -> Paste into Manual Excerpt Box. 5) Publish. This has allowed me to get the thumbnail/image to show up in the excerpt in my main page Under the post title and post info as I originally desired. I have not tried Vimeo or Youtube embeds yet but I will and post my results for everyone else. Thanks for the help!

heshiro

Hello, I just wanted to give an update, Youtube videos work the same way! Thanks guys.