Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JawDesigns

Help in Speeding up my Websites

JawDesigns

Hello,

I am posting here because I am basically pretty stuck and I was hoping that someone could please advise on the following. I've worked mainly as a Product Designer in the visual effects (software) industry so I'm pretty new to the whole web design industry. I discovered Pagelines from some research and I simply brought a hosting package, learnt some CSS, installed Wordpress and away I went.

However, now I am on my third website and I've suddenly started to realise that my sites are sometimes running very slowly and making changes in DMS is taking forever to Publish and refresh a page. This could be because I brought a hosting plan from reg123 and I now have three Wordpress installs (separate websites) running off of the same domain (hosting plan called: jawdesigns.co.uk). I never realised that I had a certain amount of allocated PHP memory on my hosting plan which every site is using.

Therefore in my hosting plan I have the following set-up:

Root (My Wordpress Website)

Folder 1 (Client Wordpress Website)

Folder 2 (Client Wordpress Website)

Therefore considering that I am aiming to continue building more DMS sites I was wondering if anyone could point me into a solid way of working so that I can continue building client websites that load quickly. Are there any doc's or specific ways that would work better with DMS and Wordpress. I have realised that I can not continue working as I am because I will soon run out of allocated PHP especially because I'm already using Woocommerce on one site which is quite PHP heavy. I am sure this could be the reason for DMS sometimes being exceptionally slow so any help, links or resources would be exceptionally grateful. 

Thanks, James 

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

Danny

Hi James,

There are a number of things you can do to improve your site(s) performance, I will go through them below **Warning** wall of text inc:

Host:

OK, from the sounds of it, it sounds like you're using shared hosting, although I haven't checked so I could be wrong. Basically shared hosting is cheap hosting, meaning that your domain will be cramped on a server with usually over 300 other domains, the most we've ever seen (you can check this by doing a reverse IP check) is 1847 domains all on the one server, this is pretty much insane in the membrane.

As you have probably worked out by now, if you have a site on a shared hosting package, which is on a server that houses 500 or more other websites, then you pretty much guarantee that your site isn't going to perform very well. In some cases, twitter even block IPs address due to this, meaning that your site may not even be able to connect with twitter services unless you use a alternative method.

So if you want to build clients websites, which have good performance, I would recommend you invest in some good non-shared hosting. You can do this in a number of ways, you can either use someone who we recommend like Flywheel or purchase your own VPS or Ded box.

A VPS is a good option as you can add as many websites as you like for a fixed monthly fee, VPS are now quite cheap. The only downside to these is that you manage them meaning you update PHP, Apache, MySQL etc.. If you want your VPS to be managed, then it starts to get expensive. I have a VPS with Linode and they're awesome. The VPS I have costs me about £16 per month, its only a basic on. However, I had to install PHP, Mysql, Apache and configure them. If you want to have your VPS managed, it will cost an addition $100 per month.

A Dedicated Server or Dedbox, are insane for performance, Simon one of our developers has one with 32GB of RAM! However, like the VPS, you manage these yourself and like the VPS, if you want them managed, its going to cost you an arm and leg.

So for me personally, I would say if you cannot be bothered with the hassle of having to manage your own server, or the expense of having a company manage it for you, then Flywheel is the best option. http://getflywheel.com/

They may appear expensive at first, especially coming from cheap shared hosting. However, what you get is a secure environment, first class support, very good performance and a insanely easy to use user panel, basically you can install Wordpress with one click and then send it to the client to pay, you have to see it to understand what I mean.

For other things on how to improve your sites speed see our documentation - http://docs.pagelines.com/advanced/optimize-load-time

Please search our forums, before posting!

JawDesigns

Thanks very much Danny,

That's pretty interesting and it provides me with a lot to think about. As much as I would like to manage my own PHP, Apache, MySQL etc (which is something I'll try and lean in time) but I think for now the Flywheel option would be the best to get me up and running smoothly.

I'll take a look into Flywheel now and thanks for all your input into this. I guess it's one thing building site(s) but then you realise you need to be able to manage them all successfully as well...

Thanks, James

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

JawDesigns

Hi Danny,

I am going with Flywheel and setting up a new hosting plan for my client. Flywheel said they will migrate a site over to a new individual hosting plan for me. However, I am a little worried that because I am using DMS (and also woocommerce) they will be unable to migrate the site over perfectly but hopefully I'm wrong? Pagelines support have always been exceptionally helpful but I was hoping that if needed you guys (and flywheel) could please kindly make sure that the migration process is a success so that I get get my clients site up and running again. I don't really know how easy/hard it will be for flywheel to set-up a new clone of my DMS site but hopefully things will work out well as it would be great to get my clients site live and working well.

Thanks, James

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

Simon
If you have a complete db dump of your old site and it is running dms already there shouldn't be any issues.

Flywheel have very good support, we use them ourselves for the main PageLines site.

The guys answer ANY support email as soon as they get it, and they treat you like a real person :)

JawDesigns

Great, Thanks Simon,

I'll let them know I'm coming from Pagelines with DMS (& woocommerce which is also a slight worry) so I'm sure they will sort things out smoothly.

I'll let you know how it goes?

Thanks, J

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

jennajonesdesign

Hi All!

After switching to DMS I was having major issues with speed as well. One site I had was taking up to 20 seconds to load!! I use BlueHost shared hosting along with Google Page Speed Service and was able to get that down to under 5 seconds. It is amazing and very easy to install and FREE. I would highly recommend it! Good Luck!

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/service

JawDesigns

Hi Jenna,

The Google Page Speed Service sounds very promising and thanks very much for the recommendation.

Cheers, J

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

Danny

If your site is loading under 5 seconds, that is still slow, your page should be loading below 1.5seconds, otherwise this can have an effect on your SEO ranking with Google I believe as they take page load into consideration and prefer a site that loads in 1.5 seconds or below.

So to resolve this easily, do not use shared hosting, shared hosting is cheap for a reason, it's not very good.

jennajonesdesign

Thanks Danny! If my clients are willing to pay for dedicated hosting I will go with that. 

Danny

You will likely need to increase your fee that your clients pay so you can cover the cost. However, you just need to inform them that in-oder to provide the best possible service, you're needing to invest in a new server, then give them to positives of moving to a new server such as.

Improved loading times, which will better their SEO rankings, now that Google factors this.

Having all your clients websites on the same dedicated server, should improve your workflow.

Better security, more stable service and so.

If you do go for a VPS or dedicated server, I would highly recommend the managed option, as setting your own server up, is quite a daunting task, to novice users. You should also invest in the back up service too, which is usually an additional cost.

For VPS servers, you should check out the following:

Linode - https://www.linode.com/

Digital Ocean - https://www.digitalocean.com/

For Dedicated servers, check out:

http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produktmatrix/rootserver