Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

maui00wowi

Mobile View Problems

maui00wowi

I am having a lot of complaints about the mobile view of the website bridgescharter.org

1. The menu is not the correct menu that is set for the fixed navbar.

2. Many of the images will revert to default in sliders that I have set up.

3. Boxes will revert to default where I have added buttons and removed all text.

4. Many people are complaining of their browser crashing frequently on the bridges charter site.

The school is getting bids to correct whatever is going on with the mobile view of this theme. I have built the website and I feel foolish not being able to give an answer on how to fix the problem, all I can say is "That shouldn't be happening" I have no idea how to at least get the proper menu to show up. Everything is working fine on a computer but as soon as you bring it to a tablet or mobile device things are not working. I know with the old pagelines there was an option to "disable mobile view". Please make this an option again. I have had a lot of complaints about mobile and tablet viewing with other clients as well but not as many people go to their sites. Bridges gets over 100 views a day and I need it to work.

-Mallorie

James B

Hi Mallorie

The menu you set up for the mobile menu isn't done inside the navbar, it's done in the layout and nav panel. You'll see there are options in there for the primary and secondary menus, select the option in the secondary menu to set your mobile menu.

Looking at the site in the mobile version compared to the live version I see no difference at the moment. Do you have a cache plugin or similar installed on the site previously? The slides, the text all mimic from one layout to another from what I can see.

If you could screenshot what you see differently on the mobile version so we can see how it displays compared to the original.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

maui00wowi

I have been working at this all afternoon so many of the problems are resolved so I do not have a screenshot to show you. All I can say is that many of the default slides that you have set for quick slider & rev slider are showing up site wide. I had to log into admin panel in chrome, re-publish what was already there and then refresh show up correctly on my phone, tablet and over all the platforms I am testing. I do not know why this is happening or when it switches back to default. The site crashes a lot on my phone as well.

I just checked the mobile again and noticed that the menu is still not displaying correctly. There are only the Primary and Secondary tabs coming up, none of the 3rd level tabs are coming up.

Also, if you go to About>Staff Directory>Admin you will notice the iboxes reverting to their default settings. I have not updated it to show you the problem that is happening. When logged into chrome editor it looks normal. It looks like it is not just a phone setting it is looking like a site wide problem and a lot of people are using phones/tablets to view the site.

Danny

Hi,

Can you provide screenshots of your site when viewing it via a mobile phone, so we can see what your issue is please. As like James, it looks the same from what I can tell.

Also, what menu is your mobile menu supposed to have, as when I view your site on my iPhone, the mobile menu is the same as the one used in your Fixed Nav.

Please search our forums, before posting!

maui00wowi

I am having problems uploading screenshots to this feed. No matter how small I resize the photo it still exceeds the limit. 

The 2 largest problems I am having is;

1. The restoration of default setting randomly throughout the site (both mobile & normal view).

Example: Go to bridgescharter.org  Home>About>Staff Directory>Admin. All the boxes have restored to their default settings. When I open up my dashboard and go to the page in editing mode in Chrome, all the information is there. The admin names, email addresses, etc. When I publish the page (after having done nothing to the page) the problem corrects itself and you can see all the info again. I have been through every single one of these pages when I launched the website and have not touched many of them since, so there is no reason for the default settings be showing up. I don't know when it reverts so I don't know (until someone complains) when to re-publish the pages. 

2. You can not get to the 3rd tier of menu items on mobile view.

Example: Try going to Home>About>Staff Directory>Admin. It cannot be done

James B

Hi there,

The mobile menu is a separate menu you create, it only handles two levels. So you'll need to create another menu for this in appearance>themes and select this menu in the DMS control panel > settings > layout and nav under the secondary menu option.

Regarding issue one has this happened more than once? Is this section inside a global/default template? Or in a custom template? As when a template is assigned to a new page the page has to be resaved before the information populates etc.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

maui00wowi

Regarding issue 1, this has happened a few times. It is always with the iboxes and/or quicksliders. A few people have access to the backend but none as admin (store managers), it seems when they log on many of the iboxes and/or quicksliders revert to global settings. The people who have access, do not have access to the front end design portion of DMS. Simply the act of logging onto the backend of wordpress from any other computer besides my own is causing this issue. I am having to log on and republish at least once a week at this point. Again, I am not doing anything besides logging on to the admin (from my computer) going to the DMS editor, going to the page that has problems and simply republishing it. Everything is saved in the DMS editor, I don't have to change a thing. Once the page is republished it shows up again on all browsers like it is supposed to.

James B

Hi there, do you have login details for the other members? If you could log in as one of them and record a short video using something like jing so we can see this process live from start to finish, we'll ask the developer team to take a look to see if they can determine what could be happening.

http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html

James B