Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JawDesigns

Yoast WordPress SEO and DMS

JawDesigns

Hi to all,

Could someone please let me know if it's advisable to use the Yoast SEO plugin with DMS? The reason I ask is because I installed the Yoast plugin and for some reason I'm unable to change the SEO Title and Meta Titles for my website (http://jawdesigns.co.uk). For an example please take a look at the screen grab attached.

The title of my DMS site says 'jawdesigns' when in the Yoast plugin it's set to something more descriptive like 'Jawdesigns - Digital Photography, Design, Video - Newbury Berkshire'. Also the description only says 'creative design' and not the description I have set in the Yoast SEO plugin.

I tried changing the 'site title' and 'tagline' in general settings but nothing happened. I was told that the theme DMS could be forcing the names of pages so I should navigate to the themes header.php file and paste in the following code: <title><?php wp_title(''); ?></title>

However, this feels a bit crude and positionally unnecessary for a premium theme such as DMS.

Thanks for any help on the above,

Regards, James

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

Simon

seo by yoast works perfectly out of the box, we use it on all our sites.

You do not need the_title() in the header, we use the_title() filter to add the normal title and the plugin also uses this filter, This is the ideal method. The two work perfectly together.

If its not working you have probably set it up wrong.

There is no way for us to see your site it is behind a coming soon page.

What is the screenshot supposed to be showing us?

JawDesigns

Thanks Simon,

Good to know the plugin works well with DMS. The screen grab shows that when I search for my site using 'jawdesigns.co.uk' in a google search engine it does not use the following site SEO title that I have set in the plugin and the general settings of Wordpress which is 'Jawdesigns - Newbury Berkshire'

It also does not display the right meta description which is 'Offering professional design services for Websites, Digital Photography, Video and User Interface Design'. As you can see from the screen grab the description only says 'Creative Design'. I have no idea where Creative Design is coming from and ideally if I could find out I might be able to change it somewhere? I have also disabled the coming soon plugin of my site but will enable it later tonight only because it's not finished.

Thanks, James

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

Simon

Your assuming google searches your site for meta when you click search? The data is cached, its up to googlebot when it goes to your site and refreshes that data, and at the moment the site is behind a coming soon plugin so thats what the googlebot will see.

JawDesigns

Ok thanks for the advice Simon. I used the 'Structured Data Testing Tool' from the google webmaster tools and it appears that it's using the correct name entered from the SEO plugin and the General Settings page. I appreciate your help with this and I didn't realize that the data is cached which is why I guess I'll have to wait till it gets re-cached at some point after I remove the coming soon page.

Once again thanks for pointing this out and obviously pleased to know DMS and the SEO plugin work seamlessly together.

All the best, James

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

JawDesigns

Hi Simon,

Apologies for bringing this up again as I know you have answered this in other posts by pagelines customers. However, having searched and read other posts I am still a little uncertain on how is the best approach to add some good searchable content into my website pages and I want to try and get this one right. Yoast SEO seems to only look in the content post loop but for my home page I have most (all) of the written text inside highlights, text boxes and media boxes. Obviously the SEO plugin can't read this but it would be good to see a few more 'green lights' as I have many red lights for no images, little text only because I am not using a content post loop.

Should I add my home page text into the content post loop anyway even though I am not using a post loop in my home page or is this pointless?

Once again thanks for your help.

James

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

Simon

ANY content in your page is readable by the search engine bots, they read you page as raw HTML.

The plugin you mention only looks at the post content when you use its keyword tools.

There are many many of those tools available free online.

GetMeWebDesign

JamesW. Same issue for many. To test the SEO on a page, I add the relevant page content to the post loop. Once checked then remove, as I similarly don't use content post loop much. This only is relatively pain free if you are being provided with content. If you are actually writing it, then it would be a bore to be cutting and pasting. Be careful about putting content that doesn't appear in your sections, particularly keywords, into a hidden content post loop and leaving it there.... might be seen as cloaking. Clean it down afterwards, to help with page load too. Sure you are familiar with Google guidelines on hidden text and links

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

JawDesigns

Hi GetMeWebDesign,

Thanks for your advice on the issue, I did the above and copied most of the content into the post loop which obviously gave me much better SEO results. However, I have removed it so there will be no worry of 'Cloaking'. For more heavy written content I might try and use the post loop in future within most of my pages whenever possible?

Cheers, J

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

Simon
As has been mentioned a lot of times before...
There are many many online tools like the yoast keyword tool that will scan your whole page
Why not use one of them? They are free

JawDesigns

Thanks Simon,

I'll be sure to take a look at some of the other SEO plugins soon.

Thanks for your help/advice with this!

Cheers, J

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

Simon
I wasnt talking about plugins

JawDesigns

Hi Simon,

I have just had a look at the link you provided above. Thats a pretty useful site to know, I didn't know that so many websites/tools like this existed.

Thanks!

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

Danny

Thanks for letting us the issue has been resolved.

Please search our forums, before posting!