Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chules

Mediabox will not play video when using Firefox

chules

On my home page of my website I'm trying to place a video as a test before working on a more detailed video gallery. I used the media box and added the following code to it

[pl_video type="vimeo" id="50522981"].  This seems to work when using Chrome or Internet Explorer but will not play when using Firefox.  When you first load the page you can see a glimpse of the video and then it just turns black

The easiest way to see this is by visiting the new site I'm working on.  You can reach it here, http://162.209.105.165.  I use the hide my site plugin so You'll have to enter the password sports12345 to view the site.

At first i thought it was Firefox but I have no problem viewing videos on other sites.  For example, when using Firefox I have no problem viewing the following pagelines video, http://docs.pagelines.com/tutorials/shortcodes.  The following is some information about my installation.

Wordpress 3.8.1

DMS 1.1.5

Does anyone know what this problem is and how I can use the media box to play a video from say vimeo or youtube?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you - chules

James B

Hi there, I can see the video in firefox and it plays, its a little out of alignment, you might need to make the box bigger to fit. I've recorded what I can at the bottom of the page for you.

Do you have any add on's to firefox? Try disabling in case they're conflicting with the embed code. Also try adding the video to another section to see if it displays in there, like the postloop so we can rule out the media box as an issue.

Videocast - http://screencast.com/t/d9iPhuZQ6XBC

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

chules

James, I disabled all plugins from Firefox and I still had the issue.  Then, I deleted the shortcut from the media box and tried to save it again.  The video image does not go all black but it is distorted as you mentioned when I have a media box in the footer section.

I then copied the video shortcut into the post loop on the following page, http://162.209.105.165/services/physical-therapy/.  Here it is formatted correctly and plays.  You can see both videos the one in post loop and the one in the media box at the footer when viewing the page I just mentioned.  You can see how the video in the media box is not displaying correctly in that position.  The only reason I was using the media box was to place a few small videos into a video gallery like feature.

Thank you for your assistance on this - chules

James B

Hi Chules,

Looking through the source code it looks like the height for the .pl-video class was set to 0, which is why the alignment is off in the textbox.

Try adding the following css to your custom css and saving to see if this resolves.

.pl-video {
    height: 100%;
    overflow: hidden;
    padding-bottom: 56.25%;
    position: relative;
}

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

chules

James, I added the code you provided and the video now display but in a large square box.  The proportions are off as the video in the post loop section is formatted correctly.  The post loop video also is responsive as well.

Is it possible I'm trying to use the media box for video incorrectly?  Is the media box more suitable to images over video? 

Again thank you for the assistance - chules

James B

Strange as I can't replicate it on my setup, try doing this and see if it comes out better.

Add a text box into the layout below the current video in the media box. Add the embed code into the text content area and save. Refresh and compare it to the media box version.

http://screencast.com/t/jOAPa1P9aRF8

James B

chules

James,

The embed code worked and displays the video in the media box correctly.  In your test environment can you use the original code I tried to use, [pl_video type="vimeo" id="50522981"], successfully?

The reason I'm asking is because I had another strange issue where my navbar stopped working while I was saving a change.  I tried to add it back and it no longer functions.  Could these two issues be related in that I have a corrupted installation of DMS.

Since this isn't yet our production website I wouldn't mind reinstalling DMS.  However I would like to keep my settings so I wouldn't have to start from scratch.  Is this possible and do you think it's an option to correct the issue with the media box and navbar?

Thank you - chules

Danny

Do you have any plugins installed ? If so, can you please disable them and see if this resolves your issues.

If that doesn't can you enable PL Debug mode please - DMS Toolbar > Settings > Advanced.

Please search our forums, before posting!