Sign in to follow this  
style

Recent Posts on Featured Page?

style

Hi, How do I setup a featured page to pull in the recent posts? I'd like to have the featured box up top and underneath it list recent articles magazine style. Any thoughts? Is this not supported yet? Thanks!

bryan-hadaway

Let's get a link to the page in question and I'll see if I can customize a solution. Thanks, Bryan

dalemccready

I'd like to do exactly this on this page http://www.nzcine.com I would love 4 recent articles to be shown in a 2 column style with thumbs, pretty much like the smaller articles show up on the "news" page which is the default blog page. I've currently got a recent posts with excerpts widget on there in a full width sidebar. It's a good solution but not formatable

bryan-hadaway

Aah, they're using the full width sidebar with the Recent Posts widget. Appearance > Widgets Thanks, Bryan

dalemccready

Well I'd quite happily use the recent posts widget in the various more-foot side-bars but they're in use very nicely on another page, so I'm out of columned sidebars. Is there any way to get more?

Kate

@Dale Could we get a link to your site, please? Thanks

cmunns

Very nice site. I think the appropriate way to do this would be to modify the Posts Page template instead of using an actual feature page template...do you follow what i mean? In Template Setup you can add a feature slider to the posts page with drag and drop...

dalemccready

yeah I have thought that, but I still want there to be a good "news" page so that's working well, and I like the idea of the front page being more of a splash page and summary. It's okay with the boxes at the moment, they just won't update dynamically, so I'll put the best stories up there as headlines myself. But is there any way of say modifying content of the full width sidebar, such as the Recent Comments widget to display two posts side by side? That would help keep things dynamic. Thanks for the comment on the site too, it's my first with wordpress and it wouldn't have happened without the PlatformPro added for sure.

dalemccready

That said, is there any way to tap into the code for the posts page? and duplicate it's first couple of posts somewhere else? I guess that's what I'd want ideally. Pretty much the Recent Posts with Excerpts plugin but with thumbnails and layout, Or again, a way of making another columned widget, or some sort of super widget with some configuration ability of where it goes and how it's laid out. Oh and the Earth too while we're at it.

Andrew

Hi Dale, Really we could help you nail this a little better if we could get a graphic, or something, illustrating two things: 1. what you have 2. what you want that said, yes it is easy to create more sidebars... in fact, in the latest version of Base we show you how to do that. (it adds "Base Sidebar" for you...)

dalemccready

ah great. I haven't actually delved into Base yet. So I'll be sure to do that now, thanks very much. Dale

dalemccready

Hey Andrew, A quick question regarding Base as it relates to this. If I've added Custom CSS in Platform Pro, will install Base overwrite/ruin any of that? If I've built the site already is it bad to add Base now? Dale

cmunns

If you're worried about the custom css just copy it all somewhere before activating base, but you should be fine as the options page operates on PlatformPro with Base on top. Also, there should be a plugin out there for recent posts that you can use as a widget in the full width sidebar that pulls in thumbnails. the default WP widget does not have that but there are many out there that extend the functionality

tpldrew

Guys, I'd like to create a "Feature Box" that draws the most recent post (with thumbnail, excerpt and title) into the box. I'd actually like to create 3 of these for the most recent 3 posts. [1] [2] [3] (all being feature boxes.) Is this possible? I've tried a number of plugins and widgets to no avail.

bryan-hadaway

Hi Andrew, Please start a new topic for your question. Thanks, Bryan

tpldrew

Bryan, I did build a workaround for this... What I did was actually use the footer widget bar and added a new widget called PHP Exec. This way I could include some PHP in my widgets for each of those. Then I added the following code into each widget and now have a consistent footer widget that I can use with three features of the most recent posts.

<!-- Start the Loop. -->
	<?php  query_posts('posts_per_page=1&offset=1');
	 if ( have_posts() ) : while ( have_posts() ) : the_post(); ?>
	<span class="sword"><?php _e('','pagelines');?></span> <?php the_category(', ') ?>
	<h2>" rel="bookmark" title="<?php _e('Permanent Link To', 'pagelines');?> <?php the_title_attribute();?>"><?php the_title(); ?></h2>
	<div class="post-thumb" style="margin-right:5px">
	" rel="bookmark" title="<?php _e('Permanent Link To', 'pagelines');?> <?php the_title_attribute();?>">
	<?php the_post_thumbnail('thumbnail');?>

</div>
	<div class="post-excerpt">
	<?php 											 												the_excerpt();
	?>
	" title="<?php _e("View", 'pagelines');?> <?php the_title_attribute(); ?>">											<?php e_pagelines('continue_reading_text', __('Continue Reading', 'pagelines'));?> <span class="right_arrow"><?php _e('→', 'pagelines');?></span>											
	</div>
	 <?php endwhile; else: ?>
	 <?php endif; ?>
	[/code]

What do you think?

bryan-hadaway

That's an excellent idea, I always liked Exec PHP, it might be an interesting idea to have something like that out-of-the-box. Thanks, Bryan