This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unable to set filesystem credentials...

Hello -- I recently upgraded to the latest DMS and WordPress, and I'm getting the error (that I've seen in other threads) about an ability of the DMS to write to an uploads directory in wp-content. I've confirmed that there is a wp-content/uploads/pagelines (which I created, as it wasn't there before) directory owned and writable by the apache user the the Web server runs as. I'm at a bit of a loss.

If it matters, it's a multisite install.

Here's my debug info:

DMS Debug Info

WordPress Version

WordPress Debug

Multisite Enabled

Current Role

Framework Path

Framework URI

Framework Version

PHP Version

PHP memory

Mysql version

PHP type

PHP User
Posix functions are disabled on this host!

Licence OK

DMS Internal Warning
Less Subsystem
Unable to set filesystem credentials

Thanks for your help!

James B

Hi there, do you have the pro tools plugin installed? This has some hacks installed which can help with these messages and multisite issues. Posix will apparently stop the css writing a static file, so the pro tools plugin will definitely help there as it has a bypass in it. Install that from your account page.

According to a thread our developer responded on the error message you're seeing display means "WordPress cannot get direct access to the filesystem, probably because the files username/group is different from the username/group that php/httpd is running under. There are a lot of ways to setup php to run as your username, really depends on how you installed php and the webserver..."

If you've manually added wp-content/uploads/pagelines/ then you'll need to change the file to run as the same username as the php/user and that the php/user has write access.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

Hi James -- thanks for responding!

I do have the DMS Professional Tools plugin v. 1.4.3 network activated -- should that be all I need?

I'm pretty sure my permissions are correct. Right now my apache instance is running as the apache user, and wp-content/uploads/pagelines is owned and writable by the apache user (and by the web group). I've confirmed that PHP is running as that user. I created the pagelines directory because it didn't exist, on the off chance that'd be necessary to get it working. Does multisite change where that pagelines directory need to be, somewhere in blogs.dir for example?

If it helps anyone, I figured this out. It's not enough that the Web server user have write access to your uploads/pagelines directory. The WordPress scripts themselves have to be owned by the same user as the Web server. Maybe that was really clear to everyone, but it wasn't for me. All's well now. Thanks!

Thank you for letting us know this information buzzdad62 :) 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"